SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC300/400 vs Current Sports Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-05, 06:30 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SC300/400 vs Current Sports Coupe

I heard many people often compare the SC300/400 to many current sports cars such as BMW 3-series etc. As far as performance goes, it seems like a well tuned SC seems should hold up because its basically an elongated Supra chassis. A well tuned Supra can almost out handle and out accelerate anything. If equiped with the right coilovers, brake upgrades, and other Supra suspension upgrades, could an SC walk allover many other cars at the track also? I head some people

Additionally, the SC has the refinement, elegance, and comfort that are beyond the levels of most cars out there on the road today. I definitely think that despite it being discontinued today, its still competitive against luxury sports coupes out there today
Old 05-02-05, 06:36 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by xknowonex
I heard many people often compare the SC300/400 to many current sports cars such as BMW 3-series etc. As far as performance goes, it seems like a well tuned SC seems should hold up because its basically an elongated Supra chassis. A well tuned Supra can almost out handle and out accelerate anything. If equiped with the right coilovers, brake upgrades, and other Supra suspension upgrades, could an SC walk allover many other cars at the track also? I head some people

Additionally, the SC has the refinement, elegance, and comfort that are beyond the levels of most cars out there on the road today. I definitely think that despite it being discontinued today, its still competitive against luxury sports coupes out there today
Do you want somebody to grade your research paper? You are basically telling us things we pretty much all know here. I would have to disagree with you though, are cars are slow compared to most cars out there today. We have a measely 225hp pushing 3500lbs. The typical 0-60 time is an average of 7 seconds. Not slow, but not fast. Unless heavily modded, I would not mess with most cars out there today.
Old 05-02-05, 06:41 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

LOL. Well, I dont own an SC YET. Im about to pick one up this week, and those are the reasons that I chose to by an SC. I drove a 2900lb Cavalier with 160hp before, hitting mid 16s on the quarter mile. Running 15s would be such a leap in comparison
Old 05-02-05, 06:52 PM
jimmyXthai
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i agree, for a 13 yrs old car it holds up well, compared to a g35, is300, and 350z i think it can hang, style and preformance wise.
Old 05-02-05, 06:55 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jimmyXthai
i agree, for a 13 yrs old car it holds up well, compared to a g35, is300, and 350z i think it can hang, style and preformance wise.
My other choices were an Integra or a Nissan 240sx. From what Ive read on here is that the weakest link, despite the reliability and smoothness, is the engine. A supra TT engine swap is just wayy to costly and difficult.
Old 05-02-05, 07:03 PM
jimmyXthai
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well for me being a current honda owner i would say hondas are great for commute and reliability, but i want a little more luxury and preformance in a car, i mean honda can preform pretty well but i like the fact that the sc300 can almost be limitless in upgrades and hp. and i think the american nissans arent that reliable sc300>s14
Old 05-02-05, 07:06 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Yea. ull need alotta money like SW. SWs car in my opinion is the best SC Ive ever seen. Its limitless once u get the Supra TT engine in
Old 05-02-05, 07:23 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

keep your eyes open, and you will see that in a few months, the 2JZ-GE will be just as limitless as the GTE!! buy the SC and then start searching and reading... you wont be dissapointed!
Old 05-02-05, 07:38 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree, you need a lotta money to make a SC Coupe faster...But then again, to make any car perform faster and better than it's stock set up, you need a lotta money

Ryan

Yea. ull need alotta money like SW. SWs car in my opinion is the best SC Ive ever seen. Its limitless once u get the Supra TT engine in
Old 05-03-05, 06:13 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

I guess the 1JZ would work for cheap. I wonder if it would mate to an auto tranny tho
Old 05-03-05, 09:23 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Try this: JIC coilovers, JIC stb, Daizen sway bars, Daizen bushings. These four mods alone will make an SC drive on rails. This is the setup Manaray had on his otherwise stock SC400 riding on 16s and believe me the handling ability of that car on canyon roads is enough to make your passengers soil themselves. Hell I don't have half those mods and my car handles incredibly well... add a Torsen differential and Supra brakes on all four corners and you'll have a very capable track car...
Old 05-03-05, 10:39 AM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lex400sc
and you'll have a very capable track car...
Dan Paramore, of the then DPR, had a bone stock 96 SC3 5MT and he took the thing auto-crossing numerous times. He won first place at almost all of the events in the stock class. It was a well balanced machine on the track. He was the only person then who inspired me to buy an SC. Had I known how rare the 5MT's were, I would have bought one instead of the 400.
Old 05-03-05, 11:13 AM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

I guess the 1JZ would work for cheap. I wonder if it would mate to an auto tranny tho

is the entire world going 1jz now??
Old 05-03-05, 12:15 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lex400sc
Try this: JIC coilovers, JIC stb, Daizen sway bars, Daizen bushings. These four mods alone will make an SC drive on rails. This is the setup Manaray had on his otherwise stock SC400 riding on 16s and believe me the handling ability of that car on canyon roads is enough to make your passengers soil themselves. Hell I don't have half those mods and my car handles incredibly well... add a Torsen differential and Supra brakes on all four corners and you'll have a very capable track car...
I went on ur homepage to check out your suspension mods. How comfortable is afterwards. With a Lexus, or any other luxuxy, Im kinda afraid to compromise its luxurious level of comfort.
Old 05-03-05, 12:16 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kaotiq
is the entire world going 1jz now??
Well, in my opinion, the 2JZGTE is just wayy too costly and troublesome. I wish I can do that but I dont have the resources to do so.

Quick Reply: SC300/400 vs Current Sports Coupe