SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Door Only Opens from Inside ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-05, 11:41 AM
Nomis
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Only Opens from Inside ?

My passenger side door only opens using the handle inside. I took the door panel off and the rod is still in place with plastic piece intact but down at the bottom of the rod where it goes into the locking mechanism it looks like the bottom halve of the rod broke off somehow. Anyone have experience with this ?
Old 05-08-05, 11:45 AM
jdowen2
Driver School Candidate

That rod is part of the door actuator. My passenger door does the same thing. I pulled the interior panel and found that the plastic clip in the door handle broke, the rod fell forward and impeded the window from going down. While trying to get the rod back into the handle it broke. I have tried numerous sources and no one has the clip, unless I buy the handle. I am still looking for the door actuator.
Old 05-08-05, 11:53 AM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

same thing happened to my driver door. i just put the rod back on the actuator, and it works.... doesnt have the bottom to hold it, but the pressure keeps it there.
Old 05-08-05, 01:36 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomis
My passenger side door only opens using the handle inside. I took the door panel off and the rod is still in place with plastic piece intact but down at the bottom of the rod where it goes into the locking mechanism it looks like the bottom halve of the rod broke off somehow. Anyone have experience with this ?
Hey man,

Had the same thing happen to me. When the rod breaks you can either risk JB Welding it back on or else you have to get a new door lock actuator. Not difficult to install - just a PITA!

Good luck,
Jonny
Old 05-08-05, 02:09 PM
Nomis
Lead Lap

DX3, how did you remove your lock actuator? I removed the three screws from the outside of the door and didn't attempt to go any further at that point. There are 2 or 3 rods that have to be disconnected it appears and then I would have to somehow finagle the mechanism out from behind the window track to get it out? I also have to replace the interior grip handle - it seems like something is always breaking on my car -
Old 05-08-05, 02:12 PM
Nomis
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ki_soarer
same thing happened to my driver door. i just put the rod back on the actuator, and it works.... doesnt have the bottom to hold it, but the pressure keeps it there.
I put it back in once and it seemed to work. After I got the door back together and used the remote to unlock I think it through it off again, because now it doesn't work again. . . I drive a Lexus, I should have to reach over and let someone in from the driver's side. I will fix it, even if I have to tear the door apart - this stuff irks me.
Old 05-08-05, 07:51 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomis
DX3, how did you remove your lock actuator? I removed the three screws from the outside of the door and didn't attempt to go any further at that point. There are 2 or 3 rods that have to be disconnected it appears and then I would have to somehow finagle the mechanism out from behind the window track to get it out? I also have to replace the interior grip handle - it seems like something is always breaking on my car -
Hey man,

It was about 9 months ago I did it so I don't remember. I ended up getting a unibit and drilling a hole through the inside of the door so I could get my tools in there to do the work. No-one will ever see it and the door is mostly holes anyway. It may sound ghetto but it was definitely worth it.

I think there are some screws around the exterior door handle. I believe I removed the handle but am not 100%.

I wish I could be more help but I'm getting old and the memory is fading

Peace,
Jonny
Old 05-08-05, 08:46 PM
Nomis
Lead Lap

I'm going to a salvage yard tomorrow to look for the lock actuator. I may be able to salvage mine, if not I'll figure out some way to replace it.
Old 05-09-05, 06:11 PM
spoiledkid
Pole Position

my audio shop in valencia, CA. had fixed that clip for me. the name of that place is called audio ameria. tell them simon sent you. and they'll be more than glad to fix it for you for a reasonable price. ask for jabber.
Old 05-09-05, 06:41 PM
Nomis
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spoiledkid
my audio shop in valencia, CA. had fixed that clip for me. the name of that place is called audio ameria. tell them simon sent you. and they'll be more than glad to fix it for you for a reasonable price. ask for jabber.
There is a small clip at the top of the rod that connects it to the exterior handle - this is not broken on my car. Rather the other end of the rod that goes inside the lock mechanism itself is broken. Apparently there is a hook of some sort and the lower portion of the hook broke off.
Old 05-09-05, 06:51 PM
soarerboy
Driver

even tho my door is broken i can say hooray! im not alone!!!

i thot i was the only one!
Old 05-09-05, 09:25 PM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

?? Curious... my passenger door has been like this for 2 years... My big hands don't fit in there to work on anything....
Anybody ever have a Toyota or LExus dealer price the job?
Old 05-09-05, 10:02 PM
c_irie
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I has that job done about 5 yrs back and I think it cost almost 5 hundred bucks since they replaced the entire mechanism ...however it ending up happening on my drivers side and I replaced the yellow clip and repaired the rod for a grand total of 8 dollars
Old 05-09-05, 10:51 PM
Nomis
Lead Lap

I went in there again tonight and used some rubber and adhesive to surround the rod to keep it in place. Basiccally the rod is just a plunger - so if you can keep it positioned correctly it will work fine. I report back if it fails again.
Old 05-09-05, 10:52 PM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

500!!!

Well ...looks like i'll be hiring a small handed man to repair mine...
btw... my clip is not broken but rather the rod is just "out" of the clip...

Quick Reply: Door Only Opens from Inside ?