SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Carbon Fiber Emblems

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-05, 08:38 PM
P.Williams
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber Emblems

I removed my old chrome emblems in preparation for fitting a set of black pearl emblems. For kicks i held up this 'Lexus' logo emblem I purchased ages ago off eBay. (sorry, the photo didn't turn out so well) To my surprise, I actually liked it better than the factory black pearl emblems.
The emblem seems to be a stock chrome piece that has been refinished in a carbon fiber effect. If you flip the piece over, you can see where the carbon applique ends, and the original chrome is underneath. Does anyone know where I can have such a process done? I think I'd like to just have all of my original emblems done this way.
Probably three years ago I stumbled upon a website where this process was offered. I want to say it was called a 'photo application process'. I might be way off on that. As I recall, any image could be applied to a smooth exterior or interior plastic part. The image (in this case, the carbon fiber effect) is put on a thin membrane which is then wrapped around the part. The end result is pretty impressive, and seems to be pretty durable. I've had this emblem knocking around in a box of odds-and-ends for almost 2 years now, and the finish hasn't chipped.
Anyway, to my chagrin, I can't seem to find this site using a multitude of different search engines and queries. If anyone knows where I can ship my emblems to to have this process done, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Attached Thumbnails Carbon Fiber Emblems-carbon.jpg  
Old 05-09-05, 02:43 AM
Tryk
Pole Position

to fake carbon fiber
Old 05-09-05, 08:35 AM
P.Williams
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Tryk Racing
to fake carbon fiber
Ummm...yeah, that doesn't answer my question. If you know someone who can laser cut accurate replicas of the existing emblems out of real carbon fiber sheet, then feel free to pass that info along. That would be even better. Otherwise, I'll settle for this. to chintzy chrome
Old 05-09-05, 10:01 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Photogenesis.
Old 05-09-05, 03:59 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

P., I think it actually looks pretty good...especially on a dark colored car. As long as the CF effect can withstand a beating from the elements who givs a damn if it's "real CF" or not It's not like you're doing this to save some damn weight, it's simply about the look.

If you do decide to get rid of the black pearl set let me know
Old 05-09-05, 06:01 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im working on a carbon fiber project right now... not the emblems though. Those look like a pain in the *** to do. Pics will be up next week or so when i finish