SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

selling my NA supra, sc300 questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-01, 01:54 AM
pak
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Hey guys, I have a few questions about the SC300 and I would really appreciate any responses. I have a N/A supra right now and I'm thinking about selling it and buying an early 90s SC and turbo'ing it rather than using the funds towards towards the supra. Why? LEXUS comfort, a backseat!, and the subtle yet gorgeous looks. (I'm sick of getting rev'ed at by every honda on the road)

How does to SC handle compared to the supra?

How much power can the auto tranny hold? 5spd?

What year did they change the tailights?

Were there any other changes in the model years?

Turbo kits: FMAX vs Toyomoto, info?

Any feedback would be great! Thanks in advance.
Old 06-19-01, 06:57 AM
Slick Lex Coupe
Driver

For 95 they changed the taillights. Then in 97 when they changed the bumper to the one with the grill opening they changed the taillights a little bit again.
Old 06-19-01, 10:31 AM
mdfdsc300
Pole Position

Default supra vs. sc300

I had a '90 Supra NA a long time ago. When I got my '92 SC300, it reminded me alot of the Supra. The suspension is surprisingly firm stock. The creature comforts and styling on the SC are classic and you won't have to worry about anyone revving at you unless you want them to. Most of the time that crowd will be gawking at you. The SC does feel heavy just like that Supra did, but that just shows how solid the car is.
The auto tranny holds up pretty well, but if you're going to turbo the car, you'll probably end up doing what others do and upgrade. I believe the Supra TT tranny can fit the SC. You can always go Level10. W/ turbo and tranny and suspension you're probably looking at mucho $$xx,xxx.00 range.
Old 06-20-01, 07:15 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since they share the same chassis, they handle very similarly. The Supra had larger rear tires to compensate for the oversteer, whereas the Lexus can get loose in stock form. With similar shocks and springs, the coupe handles like a Supra that gained 200 lbs.

Toyomoto would be my choice for turbo kit, but I'd probably want to use the SoundPerformance (A modified HKS or RPS?) equal length manifold now available. The Toyomoto hard pipes are the best out there. I'd probably go with an SP60 turbo as well (available from SP), which I believe is T60-1 based. Lance at Toyomoto uses the 60-1 as well, but doesn't have a few tweaks that Larry at SP employs.
I believe the Fmax kit uses flexible intercooler piping which is a BIG NO-NO. They collapse, cause leaks, etc. Toyomoto pipes don't leak, look good, and won't cause you any problems.

A couple of other reccomendations is to have the intercooler hard pipes configured for TWO extra 550cc injectors for future boost increases.

My tranny has held over 400rwhp for 9 months and 3 trips to the track (on street tires, though) and shows no signs of giving up. I'm using Redline oil in the tranny.

Level 10 automatics have been prone to failure according to some. Sound Performance makes an upgrade that supposedly works better and is more durable.

The 92-95 models are easiest to modify as they've got simpler electronics. OBDII and VVTI on the later models makes the car harder (but still do-able) to turbo charge.

95 is the best year IMO to turbo.