SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Removing exterior window pillars

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-05, 03:54 PM
Vitamin-SC
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Lightbulb Removing exterior window pillars

has anyone removed theExterior window pillars I'm thinking of doing them in Carbon fiber but I need them removed t to wrap them
I see the two screws inside the door but htey still seem pretty D**mn tight , are there any clips ,adhesive or something Cause There two expensive to break i know that
Greg
Old 05-16-05, 04:46 PM
Cloud9
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

those two screws do not hold the black trim piece. It's glued on to the door with two vertical strips of adhesive. You will probably have to carefully pry it off with screwdrivers or something. Becareful...you can make indentations in the trim piece if you're not careful.

I recently took mine off to have them repainted black....sanded it down, primered and spray painted. I bought some automotive adhesive today and need to glue it back on soon.
Old 05-16-05, 05:48 PM
techsc400
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cloud9
those two screws do not hold the black trim piece. It's glued on to the door with two vertical strips of adhesive. You will probably have to carefully pry it off with screwdrivers or something. Becareful...you can make indentations in the trim piece if you're not careful.

I recently took mine off to have them repainted black....sanded it down, primered and spray painted. I bought some automotive adhesive today and need to glue it back on soon.
Is it mean that I do not have to take the inside door panel or inside windows trim part away at all? Do I just pry it off from outside only?

or do I have to take inside part away first and pry it from outside?

I need to work on my driver side door. This thing is chipping out bigger and bigger if you just leave it alone.
Old 05-16-05, 06:38 PM
Vitamin-SC
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default pillars

Originally Posted by Cloud9

So are you saying those screww do not need to be removed my car is a 1995 seems to be looser with the screwws removed But I could be wrong?
Old 05-16-05, 06:56 PM
boobstar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can always check fleabay and maybe save yourself some time and money because I have seen carbon fiber pillars for the SC on there from time to time.
Old 05-16-05, 08:02 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Vitamin-SC
has anyone removed theExterior window pillars I'm thinking of doing them in Carbon fiber but I need them removed t to wrap them
I see the two screws inside the door but htey still seem pretty D**mn tight , are there any clips ,adhesive or something Cause There two expensive to break i know that
Greg

Please...no more wrapping.
Old 05-16-05, 08:40 PM
BigManne
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Xotic sC
Please...no more wrapping.
yo yo yo , ima bust a flow, i dont like it when it snows, but i sure do like hoes. word
opps you said wrapping not rapping
Old 05-17-05, 12:27 AM
Cloud9
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Vitamin-SC
So are you saying those screww do not need to be removed my car is a 1995 seems to be looser with the screwws removed But I could be wrong?

the two screws fasten down a metal plate that the black trim piece is glued to. so if you take off the two screws, both the metal plate and trim piece would be "looser" but it is probably easier to pry off the trim piece with the screws in place so you don't loosen up the metal plate. this is how it was on my 95' sc300.

sorry for the poor desciption...i'm so bad at explaining things
Old 05-17-05, 12:46 AM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BigManne
yo yo yo , ima bust a flow, i dont like it when it snows, but i sure do like hoes. word
opps you said wrapping not rapping
aHAHAAHAHhaAHAHhaAHahahHAahAHAhaAH!!!!!!