SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC300 W/SC430 wheels ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-05, 11:06 PM
CantSeeMe
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i decided to go with a set of chrome TT rims. I found a set fairly local and priced fair, And they come with like new tires. About the same price as i would have paid for a set of new quality tires. So im planning to pick em up Wed eve or Thr. Ill post the pics as soon as i put em on. (damn I cant wait to get these bent up wheels off my ride)
Old 05-25-05, 01:56 AM
Lexologist
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good choice. Was never a fan on the SC430 rims. Give them points for innovation, zero for overall appeal.
Old 05-25-05, 05:31 AM
EUROJulian
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by got_trd
Actually TT's are 17x8 up front and 17x9 1/2 in the rear. Putting 18's on a car doesnt make it handle like rails either btw.

Putting wider wheels on your car can make it handle better but bigger doesnt do anything ... Are you sure your ASE master tech certified?

SC430 wheels= highest quality replacements available???? The offsets are no where near where they are supposed to be

Yeah 17s TTs on the cutting edge in 1995.... With hugly cast surface and lil cheasy pop caps... Did I forgot beaten up after TEN years of use?

Bigger rim mean lower profile tire for given aspect ratio. Lower profile mean less sidewall distortion from lateral forces which translate to better handling dirrectly, mainly in curves. Do you find anly flaw in that thinking? Or it is just new to you?
What wider tire does is to provide more drag behind steering axis which translates to better dirrectional stability. Yes I`m master tech. heh.
If you add reinforced dubble thick sidewall of runflat you get better picture. Great high speed combo.

Rails? Replacing 16s stockers with SC430wheel/tire combination leads to dramatic improvement in handling.

Offset? Quite managable. Wheels fill much better fender openings for those looks you cherish so much . I think its a good compromise.

Quality? I stand for that statement. All that aftermarket stuff bend like soda can.

Value? Ask at the dealer for price on those wheels. Then may realize what kind of deal you are getting on those take offs.

Looks? That is a difficult one. I can`t make case for any of you to like particular design, afterall I can`t even stand music most of you listen too. I agree that "disc" hubcap are not for everybody but "star" looks better then good.

Best replacement? I make case though on SC430 being the best deal outhere as a combination of performance, quality and value... and yes, looks. What else cool thinking head like myself can ask for? Performance, quaility, value, looks.
I`m done and happy with those wheels.

Last edited by EUROJulian; 05-25-05 at 05:57 AM.
Old 05-26-05, 06:21 AM
KoSC300
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll probably catch some hatorade for this one but i personally dont really like the stock TT rims. Look kinda plain, fat, and rounded to me. They're not horrible, but I wouldnt pay more than $250 to swap out regular stockies. Doesnt seem like much of an "upgrade", unless you also plan on getting some kind of bbk also. I'd rather save my dough for something aftermarket.

As for SC430 rims. Not much of a fan for those either. I do think that they look better on the SC300 than the SC430. And definately doesnt look bad on that white photochopped picture, or light colored SC3's.