SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Weighty questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-05 | 06:53 PM
SCDream210
Driver School Candidate

Default Weighty questions

Aight, before i get a lot of hate from posting a weight reduction thread, i already did a search and wasn't satisfied with what i got or didn't find the answers to my questions

First, i heard a thing about magnesium wheels...how much do they go for, how big are the sizes, and if anyone has a link to some pis that would be appriceiated. I like 19s because it looks a lot better with a body kit, but i dont want excess weight.

Second, i heard some things about a carbon fiber center console? Can somebody please list some pix and companies that make them?

Thanx a lot (sorry if there is already post that covers this)
Old 05-23-05 | 07:19 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

i really wish i could tell you that lightweight wheels would help, but the car weighs about 3600lbs. im not trying to discourage you, rather, i am very interested in what else you have planned to do as far as reductions. the stock seats weigh 70lbs each, and the stock wheels with tires are about 32lbs. thats all i know for sure. good juck with your search.
Old 05-23-05 | 07:25 PM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

forget about a carbon fiber console, just remove your console completely.

take off your reinforcement bars, your spare tire, your spare jack, all your trunk carpeting, interior sound proofing, rear seats, air conditioner, radio, speakers, all interior panels, get some black tints, lightweight seats, become a vegetarian, and your set
Old 05-23-05 | 07:33 PM
SCDream210
Driver School Candidate

Hey thanx,

I defenitaly know that this car is a heavyweight queen, but i'm def. going to get the stock seats outta there and put Sparco Milano or (i read somewhere that the Recaros in the Porches are mad light and comfotable as hell, but i don't know if it'll fit.

Wheels are an option i read in a forum that someone said that "one pound of rotational weight is 6 lbs dead weight) so if i can get light wheels along with lighter brakes, CF hood and possibly trunk, take out spare and jack, CF console (if there is such thing)

Thanx for your imput
Old 05-23-05 | 07:37 PM
SCDream210
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by workaholic
forget about a carbon fiber console, just remove your console completely.

take off your reinforcement bars, your spare tire, your spare jack, all your trunk carpeting, interior sound proofing, rear seats, air conditioner, radio, speakers, all interior panels, get some black tints, lightweight seats, become a vegetarian, and your set
lol. i love meat lol...no way im hell i'm becomin a veggie. lol i'm such a hypocrite, i say i hate weight but i want to put a system into the back cuz i just love my music. I don't want enything to heavy though (but that's a diff topic) BUT one question, if i put a CF trunk w/ a system, will the trunk rattle because its so light or not?

Also i head in the sound proffing is removed , heat will come into the cabin? true?

Thanx
Old 05-23-05 | 07:45 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

no more heat from removing the sound proofing. as far as the system comment... i have a hard time understanding why you want to do all this if your going to put in an +80lbs box and new speakers. the center console is not heavy at all... pullit out, and weigh it. if you really want a light car, follow Ueno! every bold replaced with titanium!! $20 a pop. he but 60 grand into reduction, and is still heavy for a drift car. what do you plan on doing with the car? im beginning to think that you have the wrong car for your goal . i dunno.
Old 05-23-05 | 07:56 PM
SCDream210
Driver School Candidate

Hey, ^^^ Sry if i'm confusing you but i'm not going to drift my car, i just want my car to overall be lighter, its goiing to be my everyday luxo cruiser, but fast as hell! It might be different than what some peeps on this forum are doing but i dont know. I want a lot of power, some/decent weight redux, and overall a clean, nice whip that i can be proud of.

thanx
Old 05-23-05 | 08:16 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

you dont have to do anything to lighten the car to be fast as hell!! just look at chric threadgill and SW's cars. they both run 10.1 at 140+, and have every luxury option and piece of sound deadening material on them. just a built, single turbo 2JZ-GTE, and there ya go. oh yea, and a V-160 6=speed. you will hate yourself if you loose all the luxury components... thats why they sell 240's
Old 05-23-05 | 08:38 PM
SCDream210
Driver School Candidate

yeah your prolly right, but i don't want a stock hood/trunk and seats, i want those sparco seats and do you know how much the Phroche ones would go for? i herd they nice as hell.. can you help me find some pricing or at least tell me if they'll fit?

What wheel does that guy have anyway?
Old 05-23-05 | 09:25 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

Volk GT-C's. dont know about seats bro, sorry.
Old 05-23-05 | 10:40 PM
BigManne
Lexus Test Driver

so you want lighter wheels because you are worried about weight, but you want to put a body kit on.
Old 05-23-05 | 10:42 PM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

fiberglass is lighter, isn't it?
Old 05-23-05 | 11:34 PM
Arizona
Lead Lap

there are 3 ways to do this.
(1)Either straight up gut the car
(2) Invest your money in replacing every item possible with carbon fiber, fiberglass, or titanium. Some forged wheels help too
(3) Mix both

The way I would do it is just make good power and weight isnt an issue. Thats why SC's and supras are great. Easily make good power and smoke anything on the road while keeping every factory option.
Old 05-24-05 | 02:02 PM
SCDream210
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BigManne
so you want lighter wheels because you are worried about weight, but you want to put a body kit on.
lol i know its kida f'ed up but i wanna do a mix thing, um its gonna be a Wald body kit, if anybody knows how much it weighs please tell..

thanx
Old 05-24-05 | 07:19 PM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

What's reasonable weight reduction?

You do have a luxury car after all. If you eliminate too much weight, you introduce a lot of unwanted sounds and rattles, and risk making the car boy-racerish.

[minor flame]
It's a luxury car, and the reality of it is that the car does not excel in performance. Handling and power are good, but far from the best. Even if you throw lots of money into the car, a pretentious spoiled kid in a WRX or EVO8 will beat you mod for mod, if you are trying to compete on that level.
[/minor flame]

Lighter wheels can net up to 30lbs savings, but it's tricky...the nicer sizes and styles usually have a similar weight or weigh even more than stock. This applies to even 3 piece forged wheels. If you want to go the Magnesium wheel route, be prepared to shell out some serious coin. A set of mag TE37's in 19" would run 4 or 5k at the least. Expect to wait 6 months as those will be special order, 100% prepay only. I only know of one person who has owned mag TE's and they were for a twin turbo RX7. There are a couple other wheel manufacturers who can do mag, but it's the same deal. Mag wheels are for race use only and do not have a luxury aesthetic. They crack, chip, and are non repairable.

The carbon fiber craze is more BS and hype than anything. Most of the "CF" things you see out there are really fiberglass products with a single layer of carbon fiber over it for show. You don't really save any more weight than if you went with a full Fiberglass part. It's my personal opinion, but too much CF in the interior is horribly tacky. It's a nice accent if done correctly (minimal). Again, most of these CF things are just hype and you dont save much weight. Interior pieces are made of ABS plastic with a padded vinyl or stitched leather overlay. They dont weight much.

With every mod you do, you'll compromise something. The beauty of the SC is that its a well balanced car and a nice luxury package.

CF hood and trunk? Save weight but compromise safety.
Nice 19" wheels? Gain weight, or compromise your wallet.
CF everything? Lose some weight but wind up making the car adolescent
Fast car? Spend tons of cash

Take your time and mod responsibly, and consider what your goals are, and what your wallet permits. You gotta pay to play if you want everything from this chassis.

Fast aint cheap. Cheap aint reliable. Luxury ALWAYS costs money.

Quick Reply: Weighty questions