SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

torn between 2 SC's... HELP!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-05, 07:25 PM
BMwhat?
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default torn between 2 SC's... HELP!!!!!!!!!

just recently purchased a black 97 sc3 w/101k about a month ago... and its been back at the dealership for repairs 4x already!!!! (they are actually taking my car to a Certified Lexus mechanic, so i know he isn't screwing me....) First of all, the car runs fine... but the engine light turned on as i was driving her home from the dealership.... first time it was a tranny solenoid (#5...i think), then they said the valve body was dirty, then valve body again, and now they are replacing the torque converter...

meanwhile the dealership has loaned me another 97 sc3... its the taupe color with only 80k. they said that if i like this one better, then i can trade it. its $1,000 more than my black one, which is no problem because it does have lower miles and looks better, cosmetically. i've been driving this one for about 2 weeks now and its really starting to grow on me.

My question is... if i keep this one, how do i know its not going to give me the same problems with the tranny in the future. i'm thinking that it would be better to just keep the black one because those parts have already been replaced. Is this a common problem with the SC transmission??? The mechanic said that this is only the 2nd SC he's ever seen with this problem. So he said that i shouldn't have anymore problems once its fixed... I know im just a newbie here but i need your advice guys!

oh,... and another issue i have to sort out with the dealership... if i decide to get the taupe sc, they want me to not only pay for the difference ($1000), but they also want me to pay for tax and licensing again on the full amount of the car! which comes out to another $1,300!!! so if i can't resolve that with them, then i'll definitely stick with my black one and hope for the best.

Last edited by BMwhat?; 05-28-05 at 12:31 AM. Reason: new pics
Old 05-24-05, 07:29 PM
Thomas C
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would keep the black one you have now. I love the look of a 97 Black SC.
Old 05-24-05, 07:32 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

I would have paid $1k more for the black, but I'm partial to black myself (92 sc3 black).
Old 05-24-05, 07:47 PM
BMwhat?
Lead Lap

point taken... i love black too, thats why it was my first pick. But what about the mechanics of it??? im more concerned about the long term, money wise... i can always get a paint job.
Old 05-24-05, 07:57 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Torque converters don't normally go out, and there are other minor things that need replacing but overall I think you will be happy with the black on once you get it fixed. Dod you have to spend any money out of pocket for repairs or are they covering it?
Old 05-24-05, 08:08 PM
BMwhat?
Lead Lap

fortunately the dealership is taking care of all the charges.
Old 05-24-05, 10:52 PM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

if they are taking care of it, don't trade for it, keep the black one
Old 05-25-05, 07:18 AM
KoSC300
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i agree with these guys, keep the black one. Especially if they are paying for all the repairs. I bought a sandstone/gold colored 92' SC3 which was previously in an accident and its in the shop right now getting fixed, also awaiting a black onyx paint job!
Old 05-25-05, 10:19 PM
BMwhat?
Lead Lap

so is this a common problem with the sc tranny??? i dont think they are using OEM Lexus parts you know... should i be concerned?
Old 05-26-05, 10:55 PM
BMwhat?
Lead Lap

hello??? somebody has to know about the tranny...
Old 05-26-05, 11:43 PM
setwire
Pole Position

Default Tranny Problems

Originally Posted by BMwhat?
hello??? somebody has to know about the tranny...
Most tranny and torque converter problems are caused by using the wrong trans fluid.
Make sure you use only Toyoto Type IV Transmission fluid.
If you use Dexron II you will have transmission shutter and torque converter problems.
Get your trans flushed and refill with Toyota Type IV Fluid.
You will be amazed at the difference the Toyota Type IV fluid makes.

Rob
Old 05-27-05, 10:04 PM
BMwhat?
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by setwire
Most tranny and torque converter problems are caused by using the wrong trans fluid.
Make sure you use only Toyoto Type IV Transmission fluid.
If you use Dexron II you will have transmission shutter and torque converter problems.
Get your trans flushed and refill with Toyota Type IV Fluid.
You will be amazed at the difference the Toyota Type IV fluid makes.

Rob
perfect! thank you... i'll be sure to let them know that before they put her back together.... So i shouldn't have anymore issues with the tranny right?
Old 05-28-05, 10:34 AM
setwire
Pole Position

Default Trans Problems

Originally Posted by BMwhat?
perfect! thank you... i'll be sure to let them know that before they put her back together.... So i shouldn't have anymore issues with the tranny right?
There is no guaratees that you will have no further problems.
It sounds to me like the previous owner didn't service the trans very well and probably had the wrong trans fluid in it.
Flush out all the old trans fluid, replace with Toyota Type IV and take it from there.
Changing the trans fluid should stop the shuttering of the trans.
Dexron II in your trans causes the shuttering of the trans, but when you flush and change to Type IV the problem usually goes away.
Hopefully all will be fine.

Rob
Old 05-31-05, 07:59 PM
BMwhat?
Lead Lap

AAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!!! now they are saying that will will replace the entire transmission!! i dont know if that a good thing or not because i don't know if they are using a used tranny or a rebuilt tranny... and even if it is rebuilt, i don't know if they are using Lexus parts/ internals... plus the dealership is only giving me a 30 warranty. this sucks!

they have a 1999 Audi A6 awd that i can trade at no extra charge... should i do it????
Old 05-31-05, 08:06 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Is this a Lexus dealership, or what kind of dealiership is this? If its not Lexus I'd honestly tell them that I want a Lexus dealership to at least look at it before repalcing the transmission, I'd even pay for it if it was $150 or less. Have them tell me what exactly is wrong and go from there. Replaceing the transmission seems a little much for something that a light on the dashboard created. Were you having any problems with the car shifting or anything?

I woulnd't get the Audi if you like the SC, you'll be kicking yourself in the end.

Quick Reply: torn between 2 SC's... HELP!!!!!!!!!