SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

guys with vertex copy kit...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-05, 11:11 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownDuckz
I've heard a dozen different opinions on these kits.. they look great, but is the quality and fitment really that bad?

i think I am going to order me a vertex copy to see for myself.
Old 05-26-05, 11:22 AM
indypwr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by VSsc400
how much did you guys pay to have the vertex copy kit fitted and painted?

let me know. I may want to go this route
well, i got mine installed for 900.00 which includes some body work on the car itself.
as far as i know, no mods on the kit before pre-fitting.

look out for some pics which i will posts soon .
Old 05-26-05, 11:25 AM
indypwr
Lexus Champion

I've heard a dozen different opinions on these kits.. they look great, but is the quality and fitment really that bad?

i too heard bunch of diff opinions on this kit but i like it now since it came out pretty nice!!
Old 05-26-05, 12:03 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by indypwr
but i like it now since it came out pretty nice!!
I won't believe you until I see some damn pics!!!
Old 05-26-05, 12:15 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

off with the veilside kit and on with the VIS for me then..

I'll have the veilside kit for sale soon...
Old 05-26-05, 03:40 PM
roo
Lexus Test Driver

I'm about to pick up an SC and I won't let any knockoff parts touch the car. I work in the industry and I see the downsides of knockoff parts every day. I don't want to get into an ethics lecture on this but to put it simply, if you value your car enough to mod it, you should take your time and do it right the first time. I hear people complain about the quality and fitment of knockoff parts everyday. Even if you can make the parts fit, they will not last long. You really do get what you pay for. I should also mention that I've had quite a few customers use authentic Vertex parts on their cars and the fitment was excellent.

my ¥2
Old 05-26-05, 07:59 PM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by roo
I'm about to pick up an SC and I won't let any knockoff parts touch the car. I work in the industry and I see the downsides of knockoff parts every day. I don't want to get into an ethics lecture on this but to put it simply, if you value your car enough to mod it, you should take your time and do it right the first time. I hear people complain about the quality and fitment of knockoff parts everyday. Even if you can make the parts fit, they will not last long. You really do get what you pay for. I should also mention that I've had quite a few customers use authentic Vertex parts on their cars and the fitment was excellent.

my ¥2
I see where you're coming from.. let me meet you half way. The quality of these kits can easily be as good IF not better than the real stuff. Some of the super expensive kits fit like ****..... A good example of the "knock-off" buyer is the ebay intercoolers on sale now for roughly $200, instead of paying $1000 for the "HKS Intercooler Kit"..... don't bash it til' you try it, the expensive way is not always better. My two cents
Old 05-26-05, 09:32 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

i've spent over 5grand for my veilside kit with paint. i will not do it again.

If i could do it again I'd buy the vertex knock off and keep 3grand for a rainy day.

There are number of high dollar kits that some members here bought and they fit like crap.

You don't always get what you pay for, but you always get when you know what you know.
Old 05-26-05, 10:10 PM
indypwr
Lexus Champion

i'm a big spender on my car when it comes to modding but i just dont see myself
spending few thousands on body kit alone. too much for me as i got other important things
to take care of.
Old 05-27-05, 10:26 AM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by indypwr
i'm a big spender on my car when it comes to modding but i just dont see myself
spending few thousands on body kit alone. too much for me as i got other important things
to take care of.
I just don't think it's a good idea to put a body kit on ANY daily driven car, especially here in LA. Parking is too tight and people have no respect for a nice clean ride. If a nice car is parked at the mall or supermarket and the driver took the extra time to park far and away from everyone else some idiot will still come right up and park next to them or right on their bumper. I've seen it first hand too many times to count. The idiot taps the car cracking the kit and then they move to another spot, I actually saw it happen at Target last weekend to some other guy's car. They look nice and agressive, but for me they're just not practical.
Old 05-27-05, 11:01 AM
roo
Lexus Test Driver

I see where you're coming from.. let me meet you half way. The quality of these kits can easily be as good IF not better than the real stuff. Some of the super expensive kits fit like ****..... A good example of the "knock-off" buyer is the ebay intercoolers on sale now for roughly $200, instead of paying $1000 for the "HKS Intercooler Kit"..... don't bash it til' you try it, the expensive way is not always better. My two cents
I understand that some of the high dollar authentic kits may have fitment issues, i wouldn't recomend buying those. I was talkign about the vertex kit in specific though...vertex parts, at least in my experience, have good fitment and quality.

As for the daily driven bodykits, one of the companies I work for, Ings, has a Hybrid Aero material that is more durable and lightweight than even high quality Japanese fiberglass. Unfortunately they don't have anything for the SC =( yet.

Another thing alot of you are not considering is that most of the JDM aero parts can be removed from the car if you ever decide to sell it and you can get a decent amount for them. Most of the knockoffs need to be hacked up to fit and probably won't last very long as they're more prone to cracking or damage.

On another note, I just picked up a SC400 last night....94 with 133,000 miles in good shape for only $3500.
Old 05-27-05, 04:39 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by roo
On another note, I just picked up a SC400 last night....94 with 133,000 miles in good shape for only $3500.
You lucky dog! Everyone got their SC cheaper than I got mine for, but I was a stickler that my car be super clean so I guess I paid extra for that. Congrats man

Body kit coming soon?