SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

New SC owners - why did you buy the car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-05, 09:16 PM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New SC owners - why did you buy the car?

I've noticed 5x more people have shown interest in buying an SC in the last year or so, as compared to several years ago. Just curious...

For the recent owners -- why did you choose to buy an SC?
Old 05-25-05, 09:47 PM
DIYsquirre
Driver School Candidate

It's the car I've always wanted. Beautiful lines, very comfy, potent motor, and Toyota reliability to boot!
And most of all, they are now getting cheap enough for me to afford.
Old 05-25-05, 09:59 PM
CP_Ree
Lexus Test Driver

Bought it because I thought I'd just get a torquey 6 cyl that was comfy, and maybe mod-able after owning my 600hp Talon. Now as the mod-drug goes on, this one is turning out to be the next potential candidate for being quicker than the last car.
Old 05-25-05, 10:12 PM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

I've wanted to buy an SC since I was in high school and seriously looked into buying one since 1998. I've trolled this board for many years -- even before it switched to vbulletin and the site had that snazzy hollywood squares layout

The SC was one of the first car's that I ever wanted, along with the 3rd gen Mazda RX-7. When I was saving up for a first car to reward myself with after landing a nice job, it was either going to be a '97 SC300 5SP, or a '93 RX7 Twinturbo R1 model. I wound up choosing the RX7 because of a love for rotaries and several pages of other reasons.

I only recently got my SC this past January, but had kept an eye on used car classifieds every week or so the past couple years until I found a 5SP SC that I liked, and for the right price.

Here are just a few of the reasons I chose and love the SC

- For someone in their mid-20's, I can't be driving around in my super loud, modified sports cars every day. It's not very classy to go to an upscale restaraunt (especially with your girl) in what cops and most people see as "Fast and Furious" and obnoxiously loud.
- From the moment you sit in the SC, the car is full of technology without being gimmicky or overbearing. With the exception of the cup holder space, everything is utilitarian and well thought out.
- The SC is low key, exudes class and luxury, without the pretentiousness of something like a BMW or Mercedes.
- For a minor car collector, the SC was a milestone in automotive design (interior and exterior) and influenced the look and shape of many cars to come. (organic design of the '90s, only a few cars really got this right)
-The simple, unfussy elegant exterior and interior design was so well thought out and handsome that it remained virtually unchanged for nearly 10 years. The design is classic. Not many body kits can really improve on the already good design.
-Overall the SC is a wonderfully built package, and with the low prices of the car these days, it's a really smart buy

I love my SC
Old 05-25-05, 10:34 PM
BMwhat?
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got mine so i can put on a fake vertex kit from ebay... slap on some knock off Volks... a huge wing... and as many APC parts from pepboys i can get... then i can go to the canyons and kiss the side of a mountain.... come on, everybody else is doing it! oh wait, no i got mine cause it just looked funny being in a suit and meeting clients in a car that they can hear from a mile away. don't get me wrong... i would still love to have a toy car to play with, but an SC is just so much more comfortable to drive daily.
Old 05-25-05, 11:08 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Well lets see, i loved SC's since i was back in middle school after seeing a SCCA road race event on TV and this guy was using a SC400. Well im 23 now, and i just bought a sc300 bout a week and a half ago.

I bought it for several reasons... one, its a lexus, and im 23 years old its time to start driving a more VIP car. I also have this big love for the JZ series engines, but i always hated the body style of the supra, its too flashy, its just not a practical car to drive anywhere but the car meets. I wanted something really nice so i can go out on dates with a girl and for her to not even know about cars at all, to still be like hey this is a nice luxury car, or for work, etc.

Finally it met my criteria for a car i wanted. Japanese make, RWD, turbo and luxury (and cheap).

Well right now i have a 92 really good shape SC, chrome supra TT rims, and a 1jzgte in the mail... all for under 6500. If thats not good, i dont know what is.
Old 05-25-05, 11:17 PM
Khoackerz
Driver School Candidate

The reason i chose an SC was i always liked it, ever since i got into cars. it has a sporty look but also a luxury side to it which i really like. it was a must to have a rearwheel drive car also just because i like it that way, before i was going to choose a 240sx but my dad said no because he didnt want me to run into any problems, so i always had the thought in my mind of getting an SC but i thought it was too expensive for my age, but when i asked my dad about it he said yes, he wanted me to get it soo bad we went to go look at SC's immediately. i was so hyped over it. then took a look at one that was nice and he said ok ill get it for you tomorrow. but yeah SC's have such a sexy sleek sporty luxurious look to them thats why i chose it over any other car.
Old 05-25-05, 11:22 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

I got the SC for primarily one reason. It's drop dead gorgeous.

From the first time I saw it when I was in high school back in '92, I thought it was one of the best looking cars out there that wasn't Italian. It's got great lines and has stood the test of time. Till this day, I think it looks better than 95% of the new cars out there.

I think it looks better than the SC430 which was supposed to replace the SC400/300.

The proportions are just perfect from every angle. Front, side, quarter, rear. Ahhh...just beautiful.

How many owners can say that about their 13 year old Japanese import?
Old 05-25-05, 11:49 PM
indelible
Lexus Test Driver

Got mine in '02 in dreams of a 2JZGTE swap. Hopefully I'll have enough for it in a year or two.
Old 05-26-05, 05:43 AM
KoSC300
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bought mines about a month and a half ago cause it was hit in an accident and running fairly cheap from a frat brother. Have always liked the SC. Nice, low profile, elite head turner. The VIP feeling like someone said earlier.
Old 05-26-05, 06:02 AM
EUROJulian
Intermediate

Well, I wanted SUPRA

But due to the circumstances I had to settle for SC.

I`m to old for Supra
I`m to much married for a Supra
Kid do not fit in Supra
I`m too cheap for Supra
Old 05-26-05, 09:32 AM
JJG2005
Lead Lap

I planned on buying a 91 MR2 Turbo as I wanted a fast Toyota car... and loved the look of MR2s. However, its hard to find a nice MR2 for under about $9,000. So at that point I looked into spending a bit more and buying an SLK230. However, I somehow came across an SC300 and heard how easy it was to do a twin turbo engine swap. After reading that, and spending like 5 hours every night of the week researching these cars, I drove to VA and bought my 5speed SC300 that next weekend. The entire turbo project and car will cost me $5,000. So, that leaves endless possibilities on what to do with that extra $4,000 I saved over buying a stock MR2.

I parked next to an MR2 at the track this past weekend, it just didn't look that hot anymore to me.
Old 05-26-05, 11:05 AM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I coudn't have bought anything nicer for what I payed.... these cars have a priceless look & style. They have alot of potential...
Old 05-26-05, 11:26 AM
Five1OH
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Khoackerz
. it was a must to have a rearwheel drive car also just because i like it that way, before i was going to choose a 240sx but my dad said no because he didnt want me to run into any problems, so i always had the thought in my mind of getting an SC but i thought it was too expensive for my age,
umm and that makes the 240sx low quality? Thats too stereotypical. Tell your dad to stop focusing on stereotypical things and realize that a car is a car. My 1995 240sx has 250,000 miles and it ran perfectly fine. It depends on how YOU treat you car. Just because some one has the "incredible" 2jz engine under the hood of their car, doesnt mean that they are invincible. My friend learned the hard way
Old 05-26-05, 01:37 PM
sc300tt
Intermediate

I didn't know how fast they were until I saw this video on the internet of one beating a viper and some rx7s and I knew I had to have one!!

Quick Reply: New SC owners - why did you buy the car?