Voters: 384. You may not vote on this poll

ECT power - driving habbits

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-05, 10:22 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 285 Likes on 210 Posts

Indeed it is your friend

And its true, without ECT, kicking down to second gear at around 45-60 mph takes years on end. ECT allows for a much quicker downshift. Usually around 60, i just turn O/D off to drop into 3rd if i need to be picking up speed, rather than having to push the gas down halfway to shift (with ECT off its like halfway down the pedal before any shift.).
Old 06-08-05, 09:34 PM
nnnickkk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

ive had my SC since friday. still messing with it and seeing what works in my area. i like it on though
Old 06-09-05, 05:10 PM
Wicked-SC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're an aggressive drive keep it switched on, if not leave it off and the computer will decide when to turn it on 4 u. every auto trans computer switches automaticly when nec. it's written in the programming.
Old 06-09-05, 05:55 PM
cshinmori
Driver School Candidate

Default ECT - Power

I've been driving around with the switch in both modes and noticed its not how much gas you give, its more so How quickly you do it. In both modes, even a small amount of gas if pressed quickly causes a downshift. It seems the ECU senses your urgency and acts accordingly. Try it on the road next time, in power mode press a small amount throttle quick and you get a nice 1 gear downshift. If you push it slow, you’ll find yourself pressing until your at near full throttle when you get an overkill 2 of 3 gear - 5K RPM downshift which many times not what I was trying to do. You guys probably already knew this, Sorry I’m new to the automatic scene and am still trying to figure it out
Old 06-09-05, 09:33 PM
nnnickkk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cshinmori
I've been driving around with the switch in both modes and noticed its not how much gas you give, its more so How quickly you do it. In both modes, even a small amount of gas if pressed quickly causes a downshift. It seems the ECU senses your urgency and acts accordingly. Try it on the road next time, in power mode press a small amount throttle quick and you get a nice 1 gear downshift. If you push it slow, you’ll find yourself pressing until your at near full throttle when you get an overkill 2 of 3 gear - 5K RPM downshift which many times not what I was trying to do. You guys probably already knew this, Sorry I’m new to the automatic scene and am still trying to figure it out
very true. im noticing that also.
Old 06-12-05, 03:53 PM
Lex3486
Rookie

It definitely is quicker to downshift in ECT; otherwise, ya gotta hit "the button" to get it to downshift, plus it shifts first to second waaayy too soon most of the time. I'm thinkin "what the hell, why won't it go?"
Old 06-12-05, 03:55 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to use the ECT as a poor man's traction control for rainy day driving, but after the last couple mods, that is now out the window.
The downshifts come pretty quick with my ect turned on, and sometimes I'll turn the regular mode on while cruising in traffic when I'd rather not downshift, and always around town when I remember to do so.
While tuning the mixture I found that the vacum signal that triggers the shifting is easily changed, causing either a super quick downshift, or a lazy downshift, luckily it turned out where I like it when it was all sorted out.
Old 06-12-05, 06:52 PM
cshinmori
Driver School Candidate

Default Mixture ?

Hey SCV8,
Where are you tapping in to for your mixture control? Your talkin fuel mixtue right?

Curitis
Old 06-14-05, 06:25 PM
SCV8
Instructor

High revs, fuel pressure, low revs, screw on the side of the MAF, under an aluminum plug(factory seal).
PM me if you want more details, tips, precautions, glad to fill you in, but I don't want to sidetrack this thread/poll.
Old 06-14-05, 11:04 PM
boobstar
Lexus Test Driver

I dont know if this makes any sense but today I got on it just once with overdrive off and ECT on and then turned ECT off and OD back on and the car shifts a million times better now.
Old 06-25-05, 05:20 PM
SC4Hundred
Lead Lap

I left it on for a full tank of gas and averaged 15-16 MPG, and with the ECT off, mostly I got 19-20MPG, not exact science but I don't think I change my driving habbits much when it is on, but I think it is more fun to drive with it on...but I almost never drive with it on lol, I don't know why either.
Old 06-26-05, 01:43 PM
newbn27
Driver School Candidate

Default ect yes

The ect always goes on in traffic..... ducking and doging in lanes. ECT is good for getting my girlfriends attention.
Old 06-27-05, 01:43 AM
Lexologist
Driver

When I was in Texas, I would switch it on when I was playing around or really wanted to pass someone fast. The traffic here in CA is a nightmare, so I found that lately I just leave it on.

You never know when that 745Li might want to show of....

BTW- The direct injection makes those models accelerate pretty fast.

Agressive; leave it on.
Normal; leave it off.

Girlfriend/Wife; turn on ECT Snow
Old 06-27-05, 02:08 PM
b1ackhawk
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in the suburbs of chicago, i always leave ECT on. I found that i get better gas mileage when it is on. I'm speculating that this is because in the crazy traffic here, with ect power off i end up smashing the pedal to the floor to downshift, where with power on i can just press it down half or 3/4 of the way.
Old 06-27-05, 09:04 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Always on, just better aceleration feel... never race tho

Quick Reply: ECT power - driving habbits