SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Plastic Cover Under Engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-05, 11:33 AM
got_Remy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plastic Cover Under Engine

Hey guys, recently the plastic part from under the engine was scraping the ground so i took it off.........i was wondering do i REALLY need it? If so where can i get another one and i'm hoping does anyone out there know the part number.. Thanks in advance
Old 05-29-05, 11:47 AM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ya dont really need it. i just keeps debris from getting to the motor. i know of many SC owners that tooks theirs off. im about to cause mine keeps falling and im getting tired of putting it back up,
Old 05-29-05, 03:09 PM
vredniykot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

i just used big fat washers (3/4in, 1in??) to put it back up and i check it every time i get down under the car and it's nice and tight
Old 05-29-05, 03:59 PM
Spitfire86
Pole Position

the same thing was starting to happen to mine and I asked my mechanic about it. He actually said it makes a difference b/c of the flow of air that goes through the engine bay and the negative pressure or something like that. I'd reccoment just fixing it with some jb weld and some abs plastic.
Old 05-29-05, 07:54 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

I dont have mine on there and the car runs fine
Old 05-29-05, 08:18 PM
CP_Ree
Lexus Test Driver

It's not that important. Your car will survive.
Old 05-29-05, 08:49 PM
reamemiya
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

somewhat important. not only does it keep debris and water out of the engine (which i think is very important esp. if you're turbo), but also helps air flow through so it's also an aero dynamics thing.
Old 05-29-05, 08:53 PM
soulsoarer
Pole Position

my cover came off too and i was driving around w/out one for months. Its fine w/out it. recently i just replace mine like 2-3 weeks ago. I go a used one off of ebay for $90 ship, which to be was a great deal. The cover came in almost perfect condition. The reason i put it on is to protect the engine bay from dirt and such. It also might serve as an areodynamic piece....who knows , this has been discuss before on some other threads. It was nice w/out one when it came to oil change, cuz everytime u do one u would have to take it off..
Old 05-30-05, 12:06 AM
setwire
Pole Position

Default Under engine plastic

Originally Posted by reamemiya
somewhat important. not only does it keep debris and water out of the engine (which i think is very important esp. if you're turbo), but also helps air flow through so it's also an aero dynamics thing.
If you drive without this piece it is like driving around without your engine hood.
It is for aerodynamic air flow under the car,
Without it installed there is drag created under your car.
Your mileage will really suffer, as well as handling on the front end.
Lexus put it there for a reason.

Rob
Old 05-30-05, 12:54 AM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

i have a friend with access to abs material. i may just make a solid piece that fits perfectly ... almost like a part plat bottom. and its wont fall cause the holes wont wear. that sounds good to me
Old 05-30-05, 11:46 AM
CP_Ree
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by setwire
If you drive without this piece it is like driving around without your engine hood.
It is for aerodynamic air flow under the car,
Without it installed there is drag created under your car.
Your mileage will really suffer, as well as handling on the front end.
Lexus put it there for a reason.

Rob

Not necessarily. It wouldn't be comparable to a hood. It'd be just as important as an engine plastic cover. It's there to protect stuff from getting into small places. It's not as huge of a deal as everyone in this thread makes it. If you don't have it, and are going to pay $90 for one, *****, I'll sell you the one off my car.
Old 05-30-05, 11:51 AM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

I left the front under plastic cover on but took the plastic piece that covers the oil pan off. I was tired of taking it off and putting back on when I changed my oil...

I left the front one on because it serves a purpose, 2 purposes I think....to keep the bigger debris away from my radiator and to feed cool air from underneath into it...

EDIT: and I forgot, no problems whatsoever thus far....
Old 05-30-05, 01:54 PM
lalaland
Rookie

no probelm to the engine, though you might just get that occasional freak accident where cold water sprays up the engine bay (like in a carwash) and hot metal doesnt like cold water.

other than that there are aerodynamic benifits as well by keeping the plastic there, contrare to popular belief, the sudden space actually creates a HIGH pressure area as dertermined by bernoulli so you affect intake air pressure and airflow over the radiator, now that said it is also determined by speed^2 so unless you are always going 100MPH...

leave it off unless you can keep it on for less than 5 bux
Old 05-30-05, 02:08 PM
EUROJulian
Intermediate

Well ladies your hydraulic lines and A/C tubes runs there protected by undercover. As usualy it is up to you if you want to keep them protected or left them hang there in the open
Old 05-30-05, 02:37 PM
dinh626
Pole Position

I have the front section but not the part under the engine. I'd prefer to have it. my engine gets dusty so fast without it. probably more important if winter drivien. Probably comes into play more at high speeds (aerodymic wise).
But haven't had any problems without it for year and half now.

Quick Reply: Plastic Cover Under Engine