SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

***RUNNING HOT part II***

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-01, 01:53 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Question

As you already know that I flushed my radiator and changed my thermostat to keep my SC4 up on maintenance and running cool. It started to run hot all of a sudden and I solicited help from the forum about removal of the rad. to get it professionally cleaned.

I also took the car by an independent Lexus repair shop and they said the rad. was fine and it was the water pump going bad and this would cure my problem.(because I also had a faint rattle which I thought was the belt idler again.) The shop said the water pump sometimes make faint rattles when they are going bad, but most of the time they don't.

They are quoting $145.00 for the pump which is an oem part . Labor is $225.00 plus the $$ of antifreeze from the dealer also.(I still don't under stand the deal with the only type of coolant to be used in the Lexus.

What is you opinion of this diagnosis? I'm getting a second one on Monday...

The Ikon
Old 06-23-01, 04:13 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

How many miles on the car? when was the last time the timing belt change? If the car has more than 100K miles it is a good idea to change the timing belt and the water pump at this time also replace cam seal, belt tensioner...
Old 06-23-01, 05:13 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

VQT,

I had the timing belt changed about 8 months or 5k miles ago. I will ask about the cam seal(how important is that to get done?)

What about getting the valves adjusted on the SC4? Is it important on the Lexus vehicles?

Last edited by The Ikon; 06-28-01 at 03:48 PM.
Old 06-23-01, 06:32 PM
whitediamond
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When does it get hot? On the road or sitting still? When the AC is on? Does turning on the AC cool it down? How hot does it get?
Old 06-24-01, 12:59 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

On the road, AC on and off, and some times sitting still.

Old 06-24-01, 12:24 PM
LexusTech
Rookie

Originally posted by The Ikon
I also took the car by an independent Lexus repair shop and they said the rad. was fine and it was the water pump going bad and this would cure my problem.(because I also had a faint rattle which I thought was the belt idler again.) The shop said the water pump sometimes make faint rattles when they are going bad, but most of the time they don't.

They are quoting $145.00 for the pump which is an oem part . Labor is $225.00 plus the $$ of antifreeze from the dealer also.(I still don't under stand the deal with the only type of coolant to be used in the Lexus.

What is you opinion of this diagnosis? I'm getting a second one on Monday...

The Ikon
I'd say it's the waterpump too.
And what makes Lexus coolant so special? It's dyed red Actually the difference is Lexus coolant is silicate-free,that's all. Shop around the local big chain parts place and you'll be able to find some.
Old 06-25-01, 05:59 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Default Re: 90k+ miles

This is what I been told when changing the timing belt. Since I am going to change the timing belt and various items for the timing belt, replace the water pump also since it is at the same place and the same labor cost to do it. The cam seal and other seals has been known to leak after 100K miles with other Jappanese cars, so why take chance of not replacing it while the engine is apart already??

As for the the valves, if the shedule say you need to then you should.

I wish people with knowledge in this forum reply more and give details to the post than just...

Originally posted by The Ikon
VQT,

I had the timing belt changed about 8 months or 5k miles ago. I will ask about the cam seal(how important is that to get done?)

What about getting the valves adjusted on the SC4? Is it important on the Lexus vehicles?

Old 06-26-01, 12:41 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Thanks guys for the input. Lexus Tech what's your opinion on the valves adjusted on a SC4 or any Lex?

Another shop said it was "probably" the water pump too. I will ask the shop to put in writing that the water pump will stop the over heating, before I agree to let them fix my coupe. (The shop is very prof., clean and the owners [former Lexus mechanics] are very thorough with their customers.)

I just don't trust mechanics. I'm overly tedious about documentation and second opinions. SO WITH SAYING THAT, ALL CLUB LEXUS MEMBERS(especially the technicians/mechanics) WITH KNOWLEDGE ABOUT ANY TOPIC... PLEASE SHARE THE INFO... THIS IS A FORUM ISN'T IT??? WE ALL ARE HERE TO SHARE, LEARN, EXPRESS, and ENHANCE EACH OTHER THROUGH LEXUS AUTOMOBILES...

I truly thank the members for ALL the help I've recieved from CL!!! I will continue to ask, request, comment, debate, and assist this forum... [VQT thanks for the private message..]
Old 06-27-01, 03:54 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Angry

Water pump was/is bad, and the timing belt appears to bad too.(due to the water pump shutting down and caused questionable damage to the timing belt... it is worth another $50 not to chance it)

I'm also getting the belt idlers changed...(they are not charging any extra labor since everything will be off anyway... ) They also will be giving me the old parts back too.(I think they feel the lack of trust I have for mechanics/techs, plus they sense my knowledge of my Lexus <thanks Club Lexus>)

I must admit these guys seem legit, but a wounded animal trusts no man-chanic... I'll keep you guys posted...

Old 06-28-01, 01:51 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

What about cam seal and the like, I think it cost a few dollars for the seal, tell the mechanic to replace those seal also.
How much for the labor?
Old 06-28-01, 02:02 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Ikon, I have never heard of a water pump causing a cam belt failure. Usually when a water pump fails it begins leaking water but not always. Sometimes the impeller loosens from the drive shaft and coolant circulation is reduced, sounds like your problem. Good idea to replace the cam belt tensioners and belt. I agree that if there is any question the $50 bucks now is way cheap. I also agree that it is a good idea to replace any seals that this disassembly make accessable. I would also suggest new hoses and accessory belts. Keep us posted. Good luck.
Old 06-28-01, 02:23 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ikon.....you said something about a rattle and the idler.... My engine, when at very low RPM's, will make a rattle/clicking when I hit the gas. Is that what yours was doing? What was the cost to get it fixed? I've got an extended warranty, but it has a $100 deductable...

Thanks!
SR
Old 06-28-01, 03:47 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

I got the car back today and it appears to be alright... After spending some loot...

I looked at the parts and the pump was shot.. and the belt had been damaged too. As for the idlers that were questionable I had them replaced since it was down and they were rattling and sort of worn to.

I'll let you guys know how it performs the next couple of days...........

Thanks every one for the input!!!!!!!!

Last edited by The Ikon; 01-23-03 at 07:41 PM.
Old 07-01-01, 08:58 PM
TRE
Rookie

Thumbs up

Glad you got your ride heating problems cured. As for mechanic the smarter they know you are they least likely they are to try to pull some crooked deal. It sounds like you have found a good shop.

Later man,

Treon