SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Homeboy Needs To Get His Groove On

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-01, 02:47 PM
Cheech
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright. He's the situation. I recently acquired a mint 1992 Lexus SC 300 (4 Spd Auto). The car has 145 K miles on it but still purrs and hums! I think the previous owner kept it in a garage oiled and maintained every 3 K miles.

After putting in some fuel injectors and premium engine oil the car has been running even better! It's amazing what that Shogun stuff from Penzoil can do!

I would like to make some mods on it to make it look nice and run like a mojo. (No mods have been made by the former owner) Eventhough it's a 4-spd Auto, isn't there any way to make it smoke those dang Mercedes Benzes? I've had a couple of sad cases where a S-Class Benz would take me to school.................... I've got to step up for my fellow brothers and sisters!!!

With regards to the body and outer appearance I'd like to get

1. Springs?
2. 18 or 19 inch rims?
3. Spoiler?
4. Muffler?
5. Tinting?
6. ANYTHING ELSE RECOMMENDED?

Please help a brother out because I have read the previous posts am proud to see that this site is dedicated to the advancement of Lexus owners throughout the country. It's a great feeling to be in a brotherhood, and it's even better when its for the greater good! Until next time

Best regards

Cheech
Old 06-24-01, 03:37 PM
Cheech
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the 411 Sick! I really appreciate you watching my back. Hmm.... cross drilled rotors.... ( I don't even know what those are but will look into it)

Anyaway could you give me some quality name brands for all the parts I mentioned... and if it's not too much trouble... the $cost$.

For example... I've seen Greddy Mufflers and Intercooling Piping Kits that cost an arm and a leg! Does best necessarily mean MOST $$$?

Cheech

Old 06-24-01, 03:50 PM
Cheech
Driver School Candidate

ONE MORE THING...

I've heard all this hype about "Computer Chips or Mod Chips"

Where can I get them and what brand do I need? Do they really make a difference?????

Old 06-24-01, 07:31 PM
the_ez_rhino
Lead Lap

Here read this thread about HP boosts, It should help you out. https://www.clublexus.com/vb/showthr...threadid=16154

As for the chips, I know I found at least one for a sc, Ill see if I can find the link for you, there pretty expensive 1-2k, I dont know how much It would help, probly would be one of your best options though
Also keep in mind the the chips cut the life of your engine in half (supposedly, but I still think that youll outlast the halflife)

As for your mod questions, this is what Im going to do to mine

Ground effects
Eibach Pro Drop Springs
Paint it (still havent decided on a color, any suggestions?)
Under car neon kit
Fix my dent from hitting my garage :P
And Im thinking about NOS, if I do anything to my engine ittl likely be NOS or turbocharging it.

Jason
Old 06-24-01, 11:09 PM
Cheech
Driver School Candidate

Rhino.

I think an Arctic Silver Metallic Lexus SC would be DA BOMB. I would get that color but I'm sure its gonna cost and arm and a leg.

By the way, what is NOS and how much does a NEON underbody lighting cost?

THANKS FOR THE INFO

CHEECH

Old 06-25-01, 02:12 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Underbody neon is 100% tacky...seriously tacky (but thanks to Fast and Frivolous, I'm sure a lot of people want this)...looks tacky on a Civic, looks SUPER TACKY on a Lexus. Save your money on that Neon and do something else (like ANYTHING else)

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Cheech, if you want a faster SC you might want to consider a supercharger or turbo. But now we're talking REAL money...if you a Greddy Muffler and a Intercooler costs an arm and a leg, you should see how much a whole turbo/supercharger system goes for...the most cost effective route to go would be to get Swift Racings HFI & ECU combo ($675)...I dont' know if they make one for the SC300, but they make for the GS300 and they have the same motors...maybe a little tweeking on the install...you'll have to ask Swift...adds about 12 HP and 7 lbs. of torque...doesn't sound like much, but you'll feel it.

For a Turbo, you're looking at around $5,500 JUST FOR PARTS...here's a link...

FMAX Turbo for SC300/GS300/Supra

As for NOS, hehehe...if you don't know what it is, I STRONGLY recommend you either DO NOT do it or learn A LOT about it before you do it...otherwise, you're just going to **** up your motor and possibly hurt yourself or others...here's another link for ya...

NOS homepage

Another thing you can do (kill two birds with one stone on this one) is get lighter rims with better tires like the Volk TE37's or the Racing Hart CP035 (around $600 EACH). But these are race rims and look it...if you want a more "luxury" look that's light, you'll have to look into rims from HRE, Fikse, Kinesis, etc...18" x 8.5" rims start at around $820 EACH. Some good tires, which are SURPRISINGLY inexpensive, are the Kumho ECSTA Supra 712's...which are around $125/each...

As you can see, what you should do to your SC will depend on your budget...
Attached Thumbnails Homeboy Needs To Get His Groove On-front.jpg  

Last edited by Manaray; 06-25-01 at 02:20 AM.
Old 06-25-01, 07:27 AM
Cheech
Driver School Candidate

Manaray

Thanks for the hook up with the links.....

Where can I find the Swift Racings HFI & ECU combo ($675)?

How much of a difference it will make?

CHEECH
Old 06-25-01, 08:53 AM
the_ez_rhino
Lead Lap

Underbody kits run around 250 go to www.streetglow.com , mad cool **** there.

Jason
Old 06-25-01, 10:56 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

EZ - well Neon was "cool" (not really though) in Los Angeles for about a month or so a few years go (not as big as Miami though...thank GOD!)...the only people that did it here are some show cars and mostly people with crappy cars that can't afford to do anything real to their car so they go to Pep-Boys and spend $14.95 on neon because they can afford that.

Like I said, it's tacky and cheezy looking...

Cheech - No problem...as for the Swift HFI & ECU, go to www.swiftracing.com and check out the site...Mo is a cool guy and he has killer prices on HRE wheels (if you go that route...which I recommend!)

It's not going to make a difference like adding on a Turbo or Supercharger, but you should notice it....

Like I said, if you want REAL speed, you'll have to invest in a turbo or supercharger...the FMAX Turbo at $5500 is a KILLER deal...you'll smoke a SC400, GS400, GS430, and of course, 540i's, E430/E420 and any S-Class (probably even the AMG S55 since it's only 349HP pushing a damn oil tanker)

Old 06-26-01, 12:40 AM
Francis K
Racer

Default hey....

i own an SUV so I can't nearly offer as much input as these guys but I was thinking..........what about a K&N air filter and a K&N intake? It's like 50 bucks for the intak isn't it and like 10 for the filter (correct me if I'm wrong which I most likely am). But doesn't this alone add like 10-20hp and benefit's the car itself?
Old 06-26-01, 03:25 PM
TonyN
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 82 Posts

Francis,
your not going to get that much HP from just a K&N filter/intake, unless it's yellow or yellow sticker all over it , no but seriouly you'll probably get a very minimal increse, maybe 4-5, and maybe 8 w/ heat shield.
The adater should run around 25, and filter at about that price. bringing it to a total of 50. any more should be too much.
tony
Old 06-26-01, 09:57 PM
Francis K
Racer

Default HEY!!!!!

What if I cover it in chrome strips from Auto Zone to make it look chrome dipped?!?! Will that add any Rp (Ricepower).

of course I am kidding, don't anybody faint on me
Old 06-26-01, 11:21 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Francis - Actually, if you take that tip, and spray it YELLOW, add some Neon (from AutoZone), and put YELLOW stickers on your car (and don't forget to paint your STOCK calipers YELLOW), you'll get 1000 RP. EASY!
Old 06-27-01, 04:04 PM
Francis K
Racer

Default WOW MANARAY!!!!!

Thanks for the tip!!!!!!!