SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

offset and such?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-01, 06:42 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I searched and saw some posts that said the SC300 uses a 5 on 4.5" wheel with 43 offset. I've seen some websites that say 50 offset, and some that say 32 offset.

What would happen if I put a wheel with a 16 offset on there? I found an awesome deal on some Alba 18x8.5 wheels....

Thanks!
SR
Old 06-25-01, 07:06 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Actually I don't think they are 16 offset. The wheels are coming off a Ford Explorer and that has a 16 offset from the factory. The guy says these Alba wheels are "medium" offset. Odd, he says there is no casting on the inside of the wheel with the offset. I attached a pic of the wheels on the truck so if that helps anyone explain it to me! I'm guessing they will fit. I understand most anything on the car mechanically or electrically, but I never have delved into offset metrics. I always just told the wheel shop which ones I wanted, and they got 'em for me.

Thanks in advance for any help!

SR
Attached Thumbnails offset and such?-wheels.jpg  
Old 06-25-01, 11:07 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Uh...not only will the wheels not fit, they're ****ing ugly. Don't waste your money on ugly **** like Alba's...Jesus, my eyes hurt looking at that crap...

At any rate, a SC, like most other Japanese 5 bolt cars are 5x114.3 (bolt pattern). If you want wheels you can rotate, do a 8.5" wide wheel all around...as for offset, it depends on what you want to do. If you eventually want to put big brakes in, you'll have to make sure you get a rim designed for big brakes (Alba's are NOT designed for that kind thing...the rims pretty much suck ****), you'll have to get a different offset.

It also depends on how deep you want the lip to be...there is no SET number for offset on any car...it depends on several factors...

HOWEVER, a +40 offset should work for "general" applications (this is true with a LOT of Japanese cars for some reason)...but like I said, there are many variables that you can adjust to get specific results.

I think you should first find a good rim to buy, THEN worry about offset...don't try to buy some cheap crap off eBay or the Recycler because it's cheap. If you are going to buy used rims (nothing wrong with used rims, just used crap rims), it's best that you stick to buying rims that were once on another 5 bolt Japanese car (Accord Coupe, Nissan Maxima, Infiniti I30, Q45, other Lexus cars, etc.)...you'll have more luck getting something that fits...and remember, you're not fixing up a ricer Civic...youre' fixing up a Lexus...buy accordingly...

Last edited by Manaray; 06-26-01 at 12:04 PM.
Old 06-26-01, 06:40 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

You know this messageboard has always been pretty helpful, but there is occasionally an idiot that speaks. I was asking for some tech help with the wheels, as in if they would fit. I wasn't asking for someone to bash the wheels. If your eyes hurt looking at them, then don't look!

If I was made of money, sure I would purchase some nice $5k wheels. Being that I can get these including tires for $500, all in perfect shape, I'm not going to complain. Even if I just get them to resell for profit. As a matter of fact, I like the wheel, and I think it looks 110% on the NSX below (it has 18's on teh back, 17's on the front). On an Explorer? No. They're made for a car, doesn't look right on a truck. (He actually bought them for a Mitsubishi Eclipse, but got something else for that)

Now in the future, at the point where I actually was PLANNING on getting rims, I will get the exact wheels, brand new, made for my car.

These wheels have 5x4.5 which works out to 5x114.3 metric. Guess I'll find out if the offset is good when I measure it!

Next up is the turbo kit, body kit, then the new wheels. I want to get wheels that look good with the body kit, not wheels that look good now, but not with the kit. This works for a good interim solution to having factory 15's on the car!

SR
Attached Thumbnails offset and such?-nsx-cyclones.jpg  
Old 06-26-01, 12:12 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Ok, so let me get this straight...you're spending $500 on some crap Albas just to replace the factory 15's for now? Why are you going to waste $500? Why not put that towards something else unless you really think you can re-sell those monstronsities for the same amount or more. If you can sell it for MORE, give me the buyer's name and number...I'll get 100 sets of those from the local projects and turn a mean profit!

As for the 4.5"...I was wondering what the hell you were referring too...people (when it comes to Japanese cars) don't generally refer to 114.3 as 4.5"...

As for bashing wheels, I didn't know that I need your consent to bash on wheels...it's hard to NOT look at the picture when they're attached to the post.

Oh, that poor NSX...innocent victim...
Old 06-27-01, 10:27 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

One word....eBay. Check out auctions on there, these wheels go for over $1000 all the time. Go for it, start your new "Ghetto-wheel-to-life" wheel project....lol But ya gotta give me 10% profits since I started it.

Well I use the english measurement system, because, we are in the USA. 4.5" is also a nice round number. Same reason I always vote against the states putting up road signs in Spanish. This is the USA. If you can't read our signs, learn to. (That's why I learned Spanish, so when I go to Latin America, I can actually get around.)

I guess it's just your character type. When I see something on someones car that I don't like, I don't tell them it looks like ****. I just agree with myself that I wouldn't like it on my car, and f they like it, more power to them. Now if they asked my opinion on the wheels, then I'll tell 'em that I don't like them. You don't see me telling you that I think your wheels look like Civic rice-burner wheels, do ya? Well I like flashy chrome. :P

Anyways, thanks for the info on offsets, that did help!

SR
Old 06-27-01, 06:24 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Monstrosities...hah!
Old 06-27-01, 11:49 PM
sc300tt
Intermediate

Oh my!
Old 06-28-01, 01:08 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Arrow Here we go again......

Okay Manaray... ENOUGH is ENOUGH!!! Every time someone buys, wants, gets, posts, mentions, or think about some rims you don't like ...then you sing this old tired song.

I agree with you most of the time; however it is getting mundane now. Don't become predictable and labeled. The best comment sometimes is NO comment. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. I have an open mind and quick tongue too, but try to use tact...

I hate to see over dressed cars with cheesie rims too.

Hey, I think Alba Blades #907 look okay in the 18".(I saw some on a SC before and they were nice.)

I like Armani & Zenetti suits not jeans(I don't even own a pair of jeans, I refuse to wear them.), but I don't knock people that wear $150 dollar suits or jeans.

Let's use constructive criticism... Manaray what rims do you reconmend for let's say $800 in 18"??? :eek: Try hard not to explode with the thought of rims under $2000... :eek:

The Ikon...
Old 06-28-01, 02:05 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

CmputerWiz - Hey, if you can find the buyers, I'll give you 50%!

As for measurments, well since we're talking about Japanese cars, I think Metric fits better. No one calls 9mm bullets a .35433070866 caliber or a .45 ACP as a 11.43mm...

If you think my rims look like Civic rice-burner rims and you feel like saying so, go ahead (but I don't think I'll be seeing any ricers with HRE rims any time soon...) I don't take **** like that personally. I know what I know and if other people don't like it, that's OK with me. Hell, you can tell me that I'm an ugly *** son of a ***** and you know what? I don't care...

I actually don't mind hearing critical comments (negative comments, whatever) of my stuff because someone might actually bring up something I overlooked or their opinion might make me think twice about it if they bring up a good point...

No problem on the offset help...

IKON - Wow, I'm "predictable" AND "labeled"...DAMN! Who labeled me? Does it say 'KICK ME' on my back?!

Hey, like everyone else, I'm entitled to my opinion and unless Mike or a moderator specificially asks me NOT to give my opinion on something, I'm going to keep giving it. Anyone is welcome to skip over my posts...

Zenetti make rims AND suits?! Wow...I didn't know that! I like jeans...personally, Dickies work fine for me. $20/pair and they last longer than any "designer" pair...I don't knock people that wear $150 suits...but I would knock someone that bought a fake Amarni suit for $150! And I think someone would knock themselves if they bought $150 knock-off jeans!

Constructive criticism is too...what's the word... uh... hmmm... it's just too "nice". Like Hoops, I'm not into this "let's pat everyone on the back for anything" mentality. If someone does something butt ugly and they put it out there, I'm going to comment on it...if they don't want comments, they should keep it to themselves!

$800 18" wheel would = $3200. So I wouldn't "explode" because that's $1200 over the $2000 mark... For that much money, you can get practically any rim on the market in 18"!

I don't have a problem recommending INEXPENSIVE wheels. You can buy some nice 1-piece wheels for not too much money. Hey, if someone can get some Lsportline Model 3's with tires for $500, by all means, JUMP ON IT! It's not always about HOW MUCH IT COSTS...it's about --> WHAT <--- you're buying.

Seriously, in the above situation, don't you think it would better for CompWiz to just save his $500 and put it towards better rims or some other mod? Why get rims to just put on "temporarily" when you have perfectly good factory rims? It just screams "DESPERATION".

Now if you can truly turn a profit on those rims, then buy it for $500, sell it for $1000 (or whatever some sucker is willing to pay) and then use that money to do something good to your car or put it away and save up to do even better things to your car...

Like I always say, there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG with riding on stock rims. A bone stock Lexus looks a LOT better then some half-assed crap. You guys don't agree with me on this?

Last edited by Manaray; 06-28-01 at 02:29 AM.
Old 06-28-01, 02:13 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Lightbulb

A stock car is nicer than a crappy one any day... I agree...
Old 06-28-01, 06:35 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

What's everyones opinions on the Mille Miglia Action Sport. I like the black/gunmetal look, would look awesome with nice dark windows on my diamond pearl SC. They also come in regular silver, but the satin finish looks nice. Hmm..... And now I'm looking for an opinion....so bash away if you don't like 'em! lol

SR
Attached Images  
Old 06-28-01, 08:42 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Old 06-29-01, 05:58 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

That "gunmetal" (I put that in quotes because none of my guns are that color...they're all black or stainless steel) color is nice. I've seen it upclose and it looks cool. Also, if you get better rims, you can get them in a Machine (or "Diamond") finish...it's like a brushed aluminum that's not too shiny like high polished alum. or chrome, but not "flat" like painted silver).

Anways, that Mille Miglia is a pretty decent looking rim and the quality is good . Definitely not bad for the price...But I like rims with lips...and if it were me, honestly, I would save up some more money and buy something better...

Here's a picture of the DazzMatiz in a Machined finish...nice rim...too bad it doesn't come in 20"...
Attached Thumbnails offset and such?-dazz_matiz_wheel_2.jpg  
Old 06-29-01, 06:52 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Those wheels wouldn't be too bad, if they weren't four grand.

And the wheels on your car don't look like Civic racer wheels, I was just using that as a comparison. They look nice!

SR

Quick Reply: offset and such?