SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Help, Stripped Bolt

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-05, 03:03 PM
Lexologist
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Help, Stripped Bolt

Ok, so Im still upset about it because I knew better.

I recently bent one of my new Giovanni rims (chrome) after hitting a bad pothole 4 miles from my house. The damage was minor to the rim, but it took out my new tire as well. So of course, I was upset. Instead of buying a new rim, or trying to put a new tire on the slightly bent rim, I decided to take it to a rim repair shop to be safe. ($450 lighter as well)

So I take it there and the guy tells me 3 days for something that I could have taken down with a hammer. When I come back to pick it up, the chrome around the bent around was majorly chipped/flaking, like the size of a full fish fillet

The guy said it was normal. Yeah, right. But it was on the inside of the rim, so I said whatever. I paid the high amount and the guy said he would put on it my SC for me. After several minutes, the guy tried to tell me that my lugs were stripped. Of course I knew this was BS since I just had the spare on there. ( The last time I heard this, the shop, broke my studs, then tried to blame it on me)

So fuming, I told the guy to move over and I would put the tire on myself. I tried to do it as quickly as possible since I was not in the shop, but in the street. Of course, I didnt have a problem with the wheel. After leaving, I noticed a knocking sound, but thought that they did not balance the rim correctly.

After a day, I decided to remove to wheel and remount, b/c I was sure I didnt properly tighten the lugs according to the "cross-pattern" in my rage. When removing today, I noticed that 2 were EXTREMELY loose.

Of course, the other ones were EXTREMELY tight. Apparently my wheel tried to leave my car. End of story. One snapped stud and one stripped stud.

Moral of the story, do not work on your car when you are pissed.

Where can I get this fixed? Where online can I order replacement parts (I could locate a spindle for the SC)? I just moved, so I only have one car down here. Having the studs repressed would be hard to do.

Any suggestions?
Old 06-19-05, 03:04 PM
Lexologist
Driver

I could not locate a replacement spindle online. Or should I look under a different keyword?
Old 06-19-05, 04:13 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 354 Likes on 244 Posts

If it's just the studs, you can have the 2 studs replaced at any tire shop.

I had two of my studs on my rear left wheel snap off completely, with the lug still attached after it broke. I took the car to a tire shop, a Mavis Discount Tire, and they replaced the two studs and properly torqued the remaining studs for $35 bucks. I don't know if you have a problem with just the studs or with the entire spindle.
Old 06-19-05, 04:25 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

New studs are like $5 each from Toyota or Autozone. Just hammer your old ones out, and your new ones in
Old 06-19-05, 04:29 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by /Aerostar\
New studs are like $5 each from Toyota or Autozone. Just hammer your old ones out, and your new ones in
I had this happen. Studs were $2 each and they charged me $20 to put them on.

Jonny
Old 06-19-05, 04:45 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

$450 is way too much to repair a bent wheels. Especially if they're not going to fix the chrome as well. My shop charges $75 per wheel for bends and $65 per wheel to take apart my 3 piece wheels and polish them.
Old 06-19-05, 08:56 PM
Lexologist
Driver

Thanks guys. I think I will take it to a tire shop for install. If I cannot find one close, then I will go to autozone.

I had to pay $330 for a new tire Dunlop Sp Sport 9000, the rest was the cost of the rim repair. Thats way too much for a pothole.

Really blows your day. Week in my instance.
Old 06-20-05, 10:06 AM
Din
Lexus Champion

the studs are easy to replace.