Why do you really own your SC?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-05, 07:09 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Why do you really own your SC?

Hello all:

This is my 1,000th post. I decided I wanted to ask this question to really find out what is the allure to those of us that drive the SC today. There is one exclusion, price. While I realize the many deals on used SC's out there, especialy the older ones, I wish to keep that out of this thread...Only post a reply because of reasons of why you drive this car other than the myriad of other choices out there.

I will start...The SC, up to year 2,000 is IMHO, one of the best looking cars on the road...Bar none. It is sporty, svelte and sexy to look at. For me, it is like looking at the beautiful Teri Hatcher, Eva Longoria, or Jennifer Connelly. Stunning looks, charm and grace, yet the flexibility to act in several different roles with ease. That is the SC... It is one of the most well-rounded cars on the road, timeless.

It the SC is missing anything in its stock form, it is agressiveness. It has the look, but could use a little more in the seat of the pants...I am remedying that for my SC400 V8...

SO, there you go...my 1000th post, and the reason why I am even a member of this wonderful club...

Oh, BTW...I forgot...RWD...Rear Wheel Drive, and a V8 to boot!!!

Ryan

Last edited by SC400T; 06-27-05 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-27-05, 07:33 AM
JJG2005
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my SC in order to drive something a bit more reliable than my TSi, and eventually just as fast once I swap the 1JZ engine. The looks of the SC are timeless, and it will be a fast and luxurious cruising car.
Old 06-27-05, 08:23 AM
actuary
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was looking for a car with the following characteristics:

-Comes in manual transmission
-Rear Wheel Drive
-Reliable
-Fun to Drive
-Looks nice
-Can be had for under $10k

The SC300 is pretty much the only car that matches. The choice was simple.
Old 06-27-05, 08:34 AM
DIYsquirre
Driver School Candidate

What I was looking for in a car:
Under 10 grand (cheaper if I can find it)
RWD or AWD
Disc brakes
Quick steering ratio
Decent engine with potential
Something more "mature" than my Civic

My other options at the time were:
MCS14 240sx (Could only find Autos, and 240s are getting "played out")
2.5 RS Impreza (too pricey, weak trannys)
E36 325 IS (sold before I could get to it, Bavarian makes aren't too reliable anyway),
GSR (too similar to my civic)
my cousin's TurboII RX7(good project/second car, but not as a primary car. Will still be mine someday)

What sealed the deal with the SC300 is that I've been in love with the looks of the car since I got into cars in '97 especially in the pearl white.
The 2JZ is full of potential and pretty reliable.
My only complaints are that I have an Auto (can still be made pretty fun though), the weight of the car and the gas mileage.

Last edited by DIYsquirre; 06-27-05 at 08:48 AM.
Old 06-27-05, 08:37 AM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

When I was younger I used to see this car on the road occasionally and I loved it.. I grew up and then I remembered it.. thought i might as well go for it.

If there was one thing I can change about it, it would be slightly larger fenders.. Well, I am doing it..
Old 06-27-05, 09:41 AM
soarer1023
Lead Lap

i had 2 s14 before and both got totalled, so when i was looking for the 3rd car, i still wanted to have RWD and 5sp, was shopping for a MR2 at that time, but didn't really fit my style, and went ahead and got this car and never regret a bit.
Old 06-27-05, 09:53 AM
MongolKhan
Lexus Test Driver

Toyota, 5 speed, rear wheel drive.
Old 06-27-05, 10:08 AM
Cloud9
Lead Lap

A wolf in sheep's clothing. rawwwrr!
Old 06-27-05, 10:11 AM
MoogieBoogie
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've always liked the design since they came out back in the 1992 model year. Sold my daily driver Maxima and a 5 speed in mint condition was put up for sale the following week in California. On impulse, and seeing as I was looking for one for about 6 months, I picked it up.

The pluses:
- 5 speed manual trans
- RWD
- luxury cruiser
- shares parts with the Supra TT, so I can swap things between cars
- potential (although expensive) for the Supra TT drivetrain swap in the future.

What bothers me is price. While it's unreasonable to expect the value of the car to not depreciate over time, I feel that prices have fallen to the point where it's becoming a beater status. The part prices are still high, so most of the owners will nickel and dime their cars until they're in sorry shape. I might also add that I'm not too ecstatic about the fact that so many younger drivers are buying these cars; it seems like the face of the SC300/400 forums is changing.

I've actually considered selling, but can't justify selling such a great car for such a low price. The only reason I thought of selling is because I picked up a Civic as a new daily driver (much better than the SC because of fuel economy and maintenance costs) so the SC sits in a garage being driven 15 miles every three weeks or so. I've thought about getting a GS430, since as I mentioned, the younger crowd buying these cars bothers me.

Regardless, I love my SC and will keep it for as long as I can (possibly forever).
-Brian.
Old 06-27-05, 10:22 AM
nnnickkk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

looks sexy, fit budget, sleeper in a way. all my friends bagged on me for getting it and they laughed at it calling it a old persons car. i gave them a ride and it changed their minds. i cant wait to get to modding this beast. i also wanted an import for reliability. my other options were a 99-01 subaru 2.5rs, 240sx, and a GSR or ITR. i am very happy with my SC, and its funny to see peoples reactions when i tell them its my car, with me being only 16.
Old 06-27-05, 10:25 AM
Gamer
Pole Position

I bought mine to get laid more.
Old 06-27-05, 11:07 AM
D1GP
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

hahah Gamer, you are funny! I bought mine because it is under 10k and it looks damn good when its modded right. It is very sophisticated and elegant. And it's different. How many nice SC do you see it on the road? not too many!
Old 06-27-05, 11:48 AM
indelible
Lexus Test Driver

I got it cause its rwd, could be a nice sleeper, and i want the 2jzgte swap and the main reason: it's made by toyota.
Old 06-27-05, 11:56 AM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

timeless body styling, reliability, and luxury...
Old 06-27-05, 12:10 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Easy.

It's a RWD Toyota with a 2JZ and a decent aftermarket. It's so well built and designed that even at 13 years of age it can still hold its own with the new releases.

The Supra does this as well but damn that car is uncomfortable and 4x the price. =/

Quick Reply: Why do you really own your SC?