SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Resetting the ECU....

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-01, 04:36 PM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting... what is this "trackday settings" that you all keep talking about? Any info you give me on this woudl be great! I'm VERY interested in this.
Old 06-28-01, 07:12 PM
Toan Nguyen
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trackday settings...

Trackday settings are just that... Trackday settings. If you turn trackday settings on, more aggressive gear changes. More feedback steering response (you always know where the car is, no more light steering), increased HP, stiffer suspension etc... It was a setting on Jap spec GT models where you jumper the pins Ts and E1 in the diagnostics port in the engine bay and viola... instant track car. I'm not familiar with the US models so I dont know "for sure" that it has a similar mode. Even if you dont get the suspension tweaks, you may get the improved steering response and slight gain in hp and gearing (since its controlled by the ECU anyway).

All I do know is the difference is noticeable... I turned it off once and whilst driving was thinking... there's something missing... then I quickly turned it back on... and thought.... "ahhhh.... power band.... "

The mod actually came from a Mk III supra website as a hidden mode for TEMS suspension settings.

Toan.
Old 06-29-01, 09:42 PM
ben
Driver School Candidate

Default reset ECU

-----------------

Last edited by ben; 09-15-10 at 07:29 PM.
Old 06-29-01, 11:57 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Toan do the US ECU share the same ones as the
j-spec counterparts.If they do i might try the ECU reset,but i do not ususally drive my car really hard on during confrontations,if i drive hard after the rest for a couple of days and then go back to my normal driving habits which is not very agressive,then will the ECU just switch back from the agressive shifting,back to the my passive shifts?

Also Toan i would love to see your striaght pipe exhuast pattern,would it be asking to much to get pics of your modified straight pipes i am interested in the X pattern at the end of your piping?

Thanks
Old 06-30-01, 05:41 AM
'S'Low Rider
Driver

With reference to 'trackday settings'.

The J-Spec version of the SC400 V8, the Soarer, had three different model types. These were the UZZ30 (Coil Susp), the UZZ31 (Air Susp) and the UZZ32 (Active Susp). The UZZ30 is the closest to the US Spec SC400.

All J-SPec models all had the digital display as standard as well.

The trackday settings as Toan has already said, are a different set of parameters than the standard 'ECU' settings, mainly they improve the handling of the car.

So for the US SC400 V8 if you are able to use the trackday settings you would only gain a firmer feel to your steering. You wont see a difference in suspension as the SC400 did not come with air-suspension. They do not make your 1/4 mile times any better. They will give you more direct feeling to your steering which should enable quicker driving on 'twistier' roads.

For the J-SPec cars we see lots of improvements in our handling, the 2.5 twin-turbo version gets a definite boost in performance.

The pictures below show:
(1) The J-Spec digital display, the 'white square' next to the time indicates I have the firmer trackday steering. Visible in the left corner is the TEMS Sport(Toyota Electronically Modulated Suspension) active, this indicator is actually flashing indicating trackday suspension mode.
(2) The diagnostic ports next to the engine.
(3) A simple piece of wire jumpering the two ports.

Attached Thumbnails Resetting the ECU....-track.jpg  
Old 06-30-01, 05:45 AM
Toan Nguyen
Pole Position

Default Jap spec ECU's...

The jap spec ecu's are really amazing, so I dont know whether they changed it for US spec models like they changed the dash. (Apparently US market was more conservative at the time??). But when you reset the ECU, it goes back to it's default base settings, and then as you drive it will learn your driving habbits. So if you reset and drive hard, then it will gear the car to rev high and change fast. It is constantly learning. If you drive hard and wish to to back to normal driving, just drive normally and after about 1 or 2 hours it should go back to normal. That's how it is with my car. Before I go to a street meet, I'm blasting away for about an hour so the ECU goes nutz....

The advantage of resetting the ECU for more aggressive driving is that when it is reset, it runs on the base settings, so is more likely to adapt to your (new) driving habbits more readily than an ECU that has been plugged in for about 5 years. This is with a Jap spec ECU though.

My exhaust is a HKS Super Dragger single pipe system. Straight thru design with internal 3" all the way through.

Here's a description from the defect pass notice I had while booting it around....

Pic of my behind...

Toan
Old 06-30-01, 05:33 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man even the Soarer's gauges are different then the SC400 in the U.S.Looks too tight! Awesome!

Just like the Celsior compared to the LS 400 and also the Aristo to the GS300.

The J-Spec models are diffenetly more advanced than the models we have in the U.S.

S Low Rider and Toan thanks for the info and pics!
Old 07-01-01, 05:49 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

So do these "trackday" settings work on a 93 SC300 with a stickshift? I know it would just change the steering, but that would be great! I've been saying it's unresponsive compared to a few other cars I've driven, and would love to change that! And which pins is it on the connector to jumper?

Thanks!
SR
Old 07-01-01, 07:16 AM
Toan Nguyen
Pole Position

Default hey...

I dont know what the corresponding pins for the US/V8 models are for pins Ts and E1 (on the Jap models). Since all I know are that it works. I cant find the sheet that tells me what they mean either, so you can look up the corresponding jumpers in the US models. So I cant really be of much help. If you can find out what Ts and E1 stand for on Jap models and find the diagnostic port equivalent for the US models I'm sure there's a way. Maybe some of the V8 UK SC owners have done the mod. I'm not sure.

Toan.
Old 12-17-02, 08:42 AM
zenn
Driver School Candidate

this all Sounds great, are you all sure resetting the ECU will improve the performance? what other tricks can a newbie expect to be able to perform so as to improve the experience of driving the LEX, I'm especially interested as l just purchased a 91 SC400 LTD
Old 12-17-02, 10:59 PM
007lexus
Driver

Originally posted by London Bill
There are many electronic bits that can be reset just by pulling the relevant fuse for a few minutes, the fuel ECU being one off them, but I am assured there is a lot of trickery built into the ECU which is well hidden.

We found with trackday settings (altered boost settings & stiffened TEMS suspension) the battery needed to be disconnected for some time (overnight certainly does the trick), follwed by some spirited driving to allow the system to "re-learn" your driving style.
I heard that 1st yr(92) sc400 dont have self learning ECU but post SC's have self learning ECU.

Someone whose FAMILIAR with this subject please comment.

Old 12-18-02, 02:54 AM
Ryan
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

There are wires labeled TS end E1 on the US version under the diagnostic cap on the right side below the steering wheel. I wonder if these are the same ones or if it is just coincidence. Anyone that had to retrieve a code or reset a fault (i.e. airbag code) knows what I am talking about. The dealer plugs into this socket, but those who know what they are doing can get most of what they need with a couple of loose wires.
Old 01-16-03, 10:45 PM
kccapt
Rookie

Default ECU reset

As mentioned above, you can reset the the ECo by removing the "relevant" CB...I believe it's #13 by the drivers left leg...musc easier than disconnecting the battery and resetting everything
Old 01-17-03, 04:30 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

So anyone successfully attempt the trackday settings on a USDM SC yet?
Old 02-05-03, 07:34 PM
Gixer 1000
Driver

There are wires labeled TS end E1 on the US version under the diagnostic cap on the right side below the steering wheel. I wonder if these are the same ones or if it is just coincidence. Anyone that had to retrieve a code or reset a fault (i.e. airbag code) knows what I am talking about
Has anyone tried this on a sc300 ???
I have a 93 5 speed and would love to try this but dont wanna screw anything up. and should i have the same "white box" if track day settings are on ?

Quick Reply: Resetting the ECU....