SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Dyeing Tan Pieces Black

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-05, 05:06 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 283 Likes on 208 Posts

be sure to post up pics of the results!!

Good luck, from what it seems, many people are interested in two toning their interiors DIY style.
Old 07-04-05, 05:15 PM
TWISTED II
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hate to say i'm jumping on the bandwagon too, but, i am, lol.

will be ordering it tomorrow, car is already gutted, lol.

also will be finishing my custom LED gauges this week too, but thats a whole different thread, lol.
Old 07-04-05, 05:17 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Twisted, you ordering the SEM or the Leatherique?
Old 07-04-05, 06:09 PM
TWISTED II
Pole Position

i'm gonna do the SEM. we shoulda talked to this place first and seen if they would do a group buy if there is a high interest in the stuff.

well, the car is ALMOST gutted, lol. i was gonna go finish it up before, but holy **** this dash is a nightmare. everything is out except for the top dash and wood stuff. all bolts are removed, all screws are removed (to my knowledge) and the damn thing is still plastered in the car.

i'm taking a firework break, and then coming right back home to finish. this car WILL be gutted before i go to bed tonight, haha. any pointers from guys that have done this would be terrific.
Old 07-04-05, 06:15 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Hmmm...when I do it, i plan on only removing the seats, and doing the dash and such while they are still on the car. although, if you are using an Aerosol can, you will get spray everywhere else so I see why you are gutting everything. The Leatherique is applied with a paintbrush, so now extra splatter
Old 07-04-05, 06:21 PM
TWISTED II
Pole Position

i have more experience with aerosol cans than painting, so i think i'll have a less likely chance of messing it up real bad. haha. i'm just having a hard time deciding where to sop, haha. like, do i do the pilars also, well if i do those, i hafta do the back seat area, etc, etc. pretty soon i'll have a black interior with tan seats, haha.
Old 07-04-05, 06:46 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Hahaha, I plan on making my interior much like DETUNED's, except mine will have two tone seats as well, with the outside part in black, and in the inside Tan. Also, my headreasts will be black with a tan L. I'll use my front hood emblem as a stencil to keep the L portion tan. I don't think I'm gonna touch the backseats for now.
Old 07-04-05, 09:55 PM
BigManne
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TWISTED II
well, the car is ALMOST gutted, lol. i was gonna go finish it up before, but holy **** this dash is a nightmare. everything is out except for the top dash and wood stuff. all bolts are removed, all screws are removed (to my knowledge) and the damn thing is still plastered in the car..
i need some info on how to remove the top of the dash myself. anyone have a clue?
Old 07-04-05, 11:24 PM
TWISTED II
Pole Position

still in there, haha. whos the person that said the dash is one of the more easy ones they've done? i hope they are talking about the center console and not the front dash. i might tackle it again tonight, but maybe i just need to walk away for a night, lol. either way, mine we be much like the one pictured, only with tan carpet and black floor mats. i'm sure stuff will change though. everything always looks different when your sitting there, so i'll see how this is, and decide where to go from there.
Old 07-05-05, 01:24 AM
DETUNED
Lexus Test Driver

I was the one who said this was the easiest dah I pulled out. The top part is clipped in and you will have to pull kinda hard, then it's all cake. Be sure to remove the steering wheels and then unbolt the for bolts under the dash where the ac unit is. There is a box with a few plugs coming out of it bolted on the under side of the dash. (mines a 92 btw).

Also, High gloss will look too fake when painted or dyed. Use satin black (in between flat and gloss) It looks just like facotry and wont give you the shine the high gloss will. The hardest part is dying the dash since it's hard to get a uniform coat over it since it's a big piece. I must have tried many times to get it perfect. If I saw one small smudge or part where it wasn't even, I started over.

I used rit dye for the carpet and the second time around, it came out blacker than before. The first time looked way too purple and I hated it since my mats were new and it just didn't match.

All in all, I think I bought no more than 10 cans at around $10 each and was worth every penny.

AGAIN! Get SATIN BLACK for it to look right. I also used the SEMS clear protectant for my steering wheel since it's always being touched and I can't even rub it off if I tried.

Peter
Old 07-05-05, 01:26 AM
DETUNED
Lexus Test Driver

Also, please dont try to leave the dash in and dye it, There are small grooves and vents that are hard to get to when dying.
Old 07-05-05, 02:23 AM
TWISTED II
Pole Position

i missed a bolt that held the passenger air bag, and i didn't know the wheel had to come out. those were my 2 mistakes, lol. and, i think i took more stuff out than needed. but i got on a roll and just took everything out. best way to learn IMO. the clips for the wire harness were the worst though. like, with the pink tape over them, all across the entire dash. man what a pain. but the car is gutted now, just hafta remove the door panels and the trim around the back window and i'll be good to go. I'm just having a hard time deciding what to do with the wood trim. i was gonna do it black, but i dunno, might look weird. i will be doing the flat satin dye on the dash, so maybe a high gloss black on the wood trim would look nice. i dunno, goin to bed for now, haha.
Old 07-05-05, 08:13 AM
ADAM P
Lead Lap

Detuned's interior looks great! Id love to change mine but im stuck with the dark grey stuff and i think the black wont go well with it unless i changed it all
Old 07-05-05, 01:59 PM
DETUNED
Lexus Test Driver

I painted my wood pieces a high glass black and I love it! I'll tqake more pics when I get new batteries for the digi cam
Old 07-05-05, 02:36 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i skimmed through this thread twice and couldn't find any links on where to buy the SEMs stuff...

did i miss it? or can someone provide it for me?

Quick Reply: Dyeing Tan Pieces Black