SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Dyeing Tan Pieces Black

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-05, 10:53 AM
TWISTED II
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, i was up till 4 am getting my interior back in. what a PITA, but, it all went back together, lol. the interior looks amazing. i used a mcguires leather whipe on the dash, and that smoothed it out. i'm very happy with the way it looks. i just wish i had done the doors, and gotten my new wheel. but they will follow soon. only problems i am having are the climate control unit lights up when my lights are off, but it goes dark when i turn my lights on. and, my gear indicator doesn't light up anymore. so, i'll troubleshoot these two problems today, and hopefully get a fix. pics will be up in a few days.
Old 07-12-05, 05:23 PM
DETUNED
Lexus Test Driver

I fixed the cluster light problem in about 10 minutes thanks to jdmsoarer. Since my car was an auto before, I didn't have the mounting holes where the ground wire went, so I just found one and wa laa! fiexed the problem!

Thanks JDMSoARER
Old 07-12-05, 06:04 PM
JJG2005
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TWISTED II
well, i was up till 4 am getting my interior back in. what a PITA, but, it all went back together, lol. the interior looks amazing. i used a mcguires leather whipe on the dash, and that smoothed it out. i'm very happy with the way it looks. i just wish i had done the doors, and gotten my new wheel. but they will follow soon. only problems i am having are the climate control unit lights up when my lights are off, but it goes dark when i turn my lights on. and, my gear indicator doesn't light up anymore. so, i'll troubleshoot these two problems today, and hopefully get a fix. pics will be up in a few days.
Not saying this will necessarily happen, but when I dyed the dashboard using a brand of dye other than SEM, I did the same thing... I thought the synthetic protectant in the Meguiars wipes made the dash look great. The only problem was starting a week later the dashboard started fading like no other, and the only thing I could link it to was the wipes. It got to the point where I had to use some type of protectant to make the dash look presentable, and at the same time it was the protectant making it fade more, lol. I'm sure glad I sold that car...
Old 07-12-05, 07:20 PM
blaznsc4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DETUNED
I fixed the cluster light problem in about 10 minutes thanks to jdmsoarer. Since my car was an auto before, I didn't have the mounting holes where the ground wire went, so I just found one and wa laa! fiexed the problem!

Thanks JDMSoARER
is there anyway u can show me a pic of how u fixed it? cuz i cant seem to find any loose wires in my car.
Old 07-12-05, 07:21 PM
TWISTED II
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JJG2005
Not saying this will necessarily happen, but when I dyed the dashboard using a brand of dye other than SEM, I did the same thing... I thought the synthetic protectant in the Meguiars wipes made the dash look great. The only problem was starting a week later the dashboard started fading like no other, and the only thing I could link it to was the wipes. It got to the point where I had to use some type of protectant to make the dash look presentable, and at the same time it was the protectant making it fade more, lol. I'm sure glad I sold that car...
getting worried, lol.

does anyone know how to clean the SEM dyed dash?
Old 07-12-05, 07:32 PM
blaznsc4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TWISTED II
getting worried, lol.

does anyone know how to clean the SEM dyed dash?
i would just buy some more dye and spray more layers over it.
Old 07-12-05, 07:56 PM
TWISTED II
Pole Position

Originally Posted by blaznsc4
i would just buy some more dye and spray more layers over it.
so i can't clean my dash? every time it gets dusty, i remove it and paint it again?
Old 07-12-05, 08:03 PM
DETUNED
Lexus Test Driver

My friend dyed his dash and it's been on for 2 years with no problems. He used regular meguirs cleaner and it was fine. Mine has been dyed for 6 months with no problems. I clean it and clean it and nothing happens. I used maybe 1 can on the dash, since I couldn't get a uniform coat, then used a scotch bright pad to smooth it down and then a cost of sems protectant which isn't needed, but I couldn't get my dash even. I think sems is a good company and i wont fade or crack.
Old 07-12-05, 08:27 PM
TWISTED II
Pole Position

yeah, that rough feeling was just settling dye. cuz i used a mcguires whipe last night before installing the dash, and its smooth now. i just didn't know if i could keep using it. it would only be like once a month. and i used 1 full can on the dash also. then 1 can on the center area, but theres some left over. i need to finish so i can post some pics.
Old 07-12-05, 08:27 PM
jdmsoarer
Pole Position

Default ....

Originally Posted by DETUNED

Thanks JDMSoARER

No problem bro.. I know when we were going through the same thing i wish someone couldve told us what the hell was going on haha....
Old 07-12-05, 09:52 PM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

i'm going to wrap my dash and all the parts that come in direct contact to be touched -in black leather,order new black door panels(the parts that hold it to the door are worn out), order new rear deck in black(mine is completely destroyed),rewrap my seats and armrests in saddle leather,add a suede headliner,and spray the rest of the pieces black...(yes, i'm FINALLY doing it!)but, i need to know the best dye to use...why?, because this project will only be done once!- i don't want to have to do any sort of "touch ups"-to any part of the interior once sprayed..to me, this defeats the whole purpose of getting involved with this interior change.
by the way, what do you guys think of molecubond?
here is some very helpful information on the products mentioned in this thread:
http://www.coolcats.net/stockmod/mod...riorpaint.html

Last edited by nextlevelcoupe; 07-12-05 at 10:00 PM.
Old 07-12-05, 10:19 PM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nextlevel.... I was one of the 1st to try this many moons back... I even dyed a spare interior black to test longevity. the molecubond was my choice on the rear seats and door panels...
I have 3 kids and the back seat was used repeatedly for a year with only minimal wear.
The door panels held up perfectly over the year or so...

I know Molecubond works however the color choice is limited and i only found the product at Pepboys. I also noticed that the black is not as "glossy" as Teh SEMS and over time although natural looking I would have preferred a semi gloss finish.

For your "non" contact applications the molecubond will work. I also know people who have used the SEMs product and it works too.
Old 07-14-05, 04:12 PM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

any updates?
Old 07-14-05, 04:16 PM
TWISTED II
Pole Position

i messed up the clear on the airbag trim piece, so i'm relcearing it tonight, and will have the install complete tonight. pics will be up tomorrow if all goes well. i will not have center vents, seeing as i cracked the clip on mine, and can't afford 200 bucks from lexus right now. but, the rest will be in. and man, does it look amazing. makes me wanna buy more and keep going with the black. (doors aren't done yet) but yeah, pics will be up tonight or tomorrow if all goes well.
Old 07-14-05, 04:52 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

nextlevel or any other local northeast guys, there is a 1995 sc300 coming for sale on 7/18, if you have any interest in the interior, give me a shout via email:

Quick Reply: Dyeing Tan Pieces Black