SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Custom exhaust / DynoMax mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-01, 07:58 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

I'm having the local muffler shop do a custom exhaust for me this Friday. I want to get some opinions on it. They're making me two things:

First is a cat-back exhaust to replace the factory one.
Second is an "extra" pipe that I can use to replace the second catalytic convertor under the car. In other words....from the headers there is the first cat. That has a bolt-on 3ft or so section that has a second cat on it. Then that piece has the connection that goes to the Y-pipe and to the mufflers and out.

I have a couple of options here. They can't legally put on the pipe that replaces one of the cats. That's why I call it "two" parts to my system. That's just easy for me to put on later, but I'm wondering if the emission control systems will go all screwy.

Since the factory headers all come down into a 2.25" pipe, it wouldn't do good to put on 2.5" or 3" pipe on the rest. I'm having them make a new Y-pipe that doesn't cause as much internal turbulence as the factory one. It will be a 2.25" pipe that splits into two 2" pipes to each side (not two pipes on each side, one to each side), replacing the silencers that were there.

As for mufflers, I can't decide. They are telling me that DynoMax Super Turbo's would be good, because they're pretty close to the factory quietness (remember it's already going to be louder without the silencers), and they still remove some of the backpressure. I'm thinking more along the lines of the DynoMax UltraFlow SS ones, they're stainless so they look much better. (and cost WAY more). They said the only improvement I would get from those is the steel...they have the same performance and sound.

Out of those I'm going to have the factory tips welded on, I don't really want big tips on the back!

Any opinions on this would be greatly appreciated (sp?)!!

SR

(geez this post became a LOT longer than expected!)
Old 06-28-01, 01:19 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Question

Go to the engine/transmission section on this forum... Look under the "Exhaust/horsepower sound gains" thread for some info on your questions........

Good luck
Old 06-29-01, 12:15 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got my car back from the muffler shop! Oh it sounds SOO much better. Only thing I'm waiting on are my DTM tips to weld to the mufflers. For now it's just got some crappy chrome tips that they had leftover from something else. I got bigger pipe, so the tips off the factory mufflers wouldn't fit. Oh well! Anyone know of a good place to buy stainless steel exhaust tips from?

SR