SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Chassis Flex. Interior Creaking?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-05 | 01:37 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chassis Flex. Interior Creaking?

Everytime when I make a turn, pull out of the driveway, or go over a speed bump, I can hear the front pillars and/or dash faintly creaking. Is this a common problem with you guys. Would a strut bar help?
Old 07-03-05 | 01:53 PM
TWISTED II
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i kinda hear it in the back window, or sunroof area. i was concerned also.
Old 07-03-05 | 04:05 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i hear the flex in the backglass
Old 07-03-05 | 04:27 PM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I never heard this before.. then I stripped my interior because I was getting my car painted.. Once we put everything back in.. i also hear some flex when making turns...

We are going to try and take everything out and put everything back in tight again. I was warned that this would happen.
Old 07-04-05 | 02:06 AM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

Well, I get rattleing noises when going over speed bumps because my 3rd brakelight is improperly secured
You'd be surprised at how much noise the rear deck makes. One of the speaker grills can be seen jumping up when I slam my trunk
Old 07-04-05 | 04:52 AM
Lexologist
Driver

None here from the interior.. sometimes I hear the chasis flex on a hard launch. Thats it though.
Old 07-04-05 | 03:55 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Back window when it is cold outside, pretty solid otherwise.
Another reason I went with the TT suspension and not anything firmer.
I've thought about some things to add the floor, and firewall/trunk areas, but until I get my welder up and running, I'll just have to wonder.
Old 07-05-05 | 12:01 AM
RjRacing
Driver

I here the flexing as well, it sound like its coming from the sunroof more than anything.
Old 07-06-05 | 02:22 PM
GliTCH
Rookie

There's no way you expect a car of even exceptional build quality to maintain 100% integrity after more than 12 years and quarter of a million miles (sounds like an awful lot when you write it like that, doesn't it?). After all that exposure to nature and pavement, metal softens, rubber gets brittle and worn, plastic breaks and bolts loosen. Our cars were engineered with the best knowledge that was available at the time but they are by no means indestructible. I know you love your SCs a lot and if you're anything like me you probably want them running in the best shape, part of the reason is because after 250,000 miles they can ride like they're brand new so it's hard to remember they aren't. Unless you're willing to dump insane amounts of money into a 13 year old car, just fix the major stuff and don't sweat the rest. Rest assured if you take care of it your SC will still take you places, and if you wanna get there faster just floor it
Old 07-06-05 | 02:39 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GliTCH
There's no way you expect a car of even exceptional build quality to maintain 100% integrity after more than 12 years and quarter of a million miles (sounds like an awful lot when you write it like that, doesn't it?). After all that exposure to nature and pavement, metal softens, rubber gets brittle and worn, plastic breaks and bolts loosen. Our cars were engineered with the best knowledge that was available at the time but they are by no means indestructible. I know you love your SCs a lot and if you're anything like me you probably want them running in the best shape, part of the reason is because after 250,000 miles they can ride like they're brand new so it's hard to remember they aren't. Unless you're willing to dump insane amounts of money into a 13 year old car, just fix the major stuff and don't sweat the rest. Rest assured if you take care of it your SC will still take you places, and if you wanna get there faster just floor it
My dash and whatnot creaks as well, and I coulnd't have said it better myself. Buy a new stereo and forget about it

There's no way you're gonna restore this car to complete quietness unless you tear it down and rebuild it, and who has time or energy (or money) to do that??
Old 07-06-05 | 08:43 PM
Vitamin-SC
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up Creaking

Treat all your rubber gaskits around door moulding,sunroof with a silcon base protectant it made a world of difference on mine
Old 07-06-05 | 09:51 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey guys...All cars flex to a certain degree, even new ones. That is inherent in the design of the unibody cars. With age, some cars will flex more, but our cars do hold up rather well. I think we just notice it more because the interior parts, especially plastics and rubbers age, and will make noise when they flex along with the car, where they did not do this when the car was new. I agree, applying some silicon or non-greasy protectant on those interior parts should help, and if you really want to go after it, a welder can spot weld some key areas to help, or you can install an under-carriage bar, or some STB's.

Ryan
Old 07-08-05 | 02:46 AM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SC400T
Hey guys...All cars flex to a certain degree, even new ones. That is inherent in the design of the unibody cars. With age, some cars will flex more, but our cars do hold up rather well. I think we just notice it more because the interior parts, especially plastics and rubbers age, and will make noise when they flex along with the car, where they did not do this when the car was new. I agree, applying some silicon or non-greasy protectant on those interior parts should help, and if you really want to go after it, a welder can spot weld some key areas to help, or you can install an under-carriage bar, or some STB's.

Ryan
what key areas? i'm interested.