SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

New IS is making me reluctant to spend money on the SC

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-05, 02:37 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New IS is making me reluctant to spend money on the SC

Ok, many of you guys in here probably have the same dilema. My dilema is whether to work my *** off and conservatively build my 13 year old 1992 SC w/ 138k miles. So far I have an an Alpine in-dash IVA-D900 dvd player and the iPod adapter. My initial plans were to drop on on coilovers and get some really nice deep dish 18-19 inch rims. After that, I was planning to get the 97+ conversion then Im done.

However, after seeing the new IS on the other forum, it made me reconsider building up my SC. Assuming that I can find a really really nice used mint condition 2nd IS in 2 years for 25-30k, it makes me debate whether to spend the money on the down payment or spend it on modding a 13 year old car.

The good news is that my SC will most likely not be sold because it was bought as a gift after a crashed my old car. The interior is still in really good condition.

Do alotta u guys have similar dilemas?
Old 08-22-05, 07:05 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I did have that dilemma... but then I found the remedy

If you still like the looks and style of the SC I say go find a nice clean updated model and save yourself the hassle of putting all the money into your current SC. Well that was my train of thought anyway.

Jose
Attached Thumbnails New IS is making me reluctant to spend money on the SC-dsc03414.jpg  
Old 08-22-05, 07:38 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Woah that things a beauty. Mine is in really good condition so its pretty hard to sell it away
Old 08-22-05, 07:51 AM
Goldark
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Soarer_25GTT
I did have that dilemma... but then I found the remedy

If you still like the looks and style of the SC I say go find a nice clean updated model and save yourself the hassle of putting all the money into your current SC. Well that was my train of thought anyway.

Jose
black is so hot...

Anyways, I have the same dilemma. I previously owned the IS300 and with the new one coming out in October, I don't know what's going to happen. I'm going to the taste of lexus so I can check out the 250 and 350 in person.

The IS300 and the SC300 are completely different cars. I feel like the SC is a bit 'grown up' from the IS300. It's more of a cruiser / comffy ride. The IS300 can be tossed around a bit more and is a lot more to drive in city / twisty traffic.

Regardless, I think you should wait at least 1 or 2 years after the new IS is released and THEN decide if it's a good buy.
Old 08-22-05, 08:08 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 381 Likes on 265 Posts

I find myself with this dilemma RIGHT NOW. I love the SC to death and all, but I've had a lust for that first gen IS300 5speed for SO LONG. I can't decide if I want to sell my SC and pick up a good used IS300, or keep my SC and pour more money into that, since its a 94 with only 96.5k miles. I'm torn.
Old 08-22-05, 09:28 AM
pilip99
Lexus Test Driver

this is a hard decision, i dont know what to do either
Old 08-22-05, 09:44 AM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

Honestly, I think the SC300 is better then the IS300.
I say this ONLY because of these reasons.

The SC series are coupes - the only one made by lexus
The SC internals are bulletproof (not quite sure on the specs of the IS)
The SC IMO is has more defined curves and finesse

But then again, the IS has more power, more handling, more doors, less milage, its newer, and its still a lexus.

I think I'll be getting an IS350 for my daily, and my SC as my sleeper garage queen. Buts thats later in the future.
Old 08-22-05, 10:48 AM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by xknowonex
However, after seeing the new IS on the other forum, it made me reconsider building up my SC. Assuming that I can find a really really nice used mint condition 2nd IS in 2 years for 25-30k, it makes me debate whether to spend the money on the down payment or spend it on modding a 13 year old car.
Weren't you just crying about financial woes man? And you're thinking of getting a used 2nd gen IS in 2+ years for 25-30k?? ...mod your SC and forget the IS until you're ready to buy one...right now you're just musing...
Old 08-22-05, 10:54 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

The IS has a good air conditioning system in it. (it'll freeze ya ***** off!) I wasn't impressed with the load of road noise the car has, the cardboard doors (compared to the SC), and the fact my bmw with 225k miles on it pulled past it @110 MPH on the freeway. The SC always beats the BMW.
Old 08-22-05, 12:31 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

screw the IS. The SC gets more looks anyways.

Also, with the new IS coming out, those will seem WAY outdated.
Old 08-22-05, 12:52 PM
Carbon J
Lead Lap

I would say if you don't own one, buy a house or condo with a garage. You need something to put your cars in.
Old 08-22-05, 01:08 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ajayssc40093
I would say if you don't own one, buy a house or condo with a garage. You need something to put your cars in.
excellent advise! work for your house, not your car.
Old 08-22-05, 03:47 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I know I'm gonna get a new car by the end of the year. My dilemma is which one, the IS350 or the G35. I'm a coupe man but the new IS...well, that's a Lexus. If it's big enough for me to fit it's a chance to stay in the family and get a stock sleeper rocket that will need only wheels to take it to the next level.
Old 08-22-05, 03:54 PM
southernsc
Lexus Champion

look for an 2000 SC400, they are rare to come by but still KICK ****!!!
Old 08-23-05, 08:04 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mikeloc24
Weren't you just crying about financial woes man? And you're thinking of getting a used 2nd gen IS in 2+ years for 25-30k?? ...mod your SC and forget the IS until you're ready to buy one...right now you're just musing...
Woah u guys revived an old thread of mine. As far as my finances go, I recently got a different job so that kind of helps. Its not alot of money but its not minimum wage either. But after this year, I should be able to pay everything off.

Morever, as a car enthusiast, like many of you guys, I make all sorts of sacrifices by being really frugal. For example, since I live at home I rarely ever even spend money at a fastfood place or at Starbucks. I dont spend money on alcohol or go to bars either. Being frugal helps alot. Some of my coworkers at the office drive Corvettes, M3s, IS, GS, IS, etc

Quick Reply: New IS is making me reluctant to spend money on the SC