SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Attn Body kit experts

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-05 | 09:48 AM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexAnt
having seen the vis knockoff and owning the original vertex kit, i can honestly say that not all fiberglass is fiberglass. vertex actually is frp and not full fiberglass. in the bodykit fitment thread that's stickied at the top of the forum, i posted that the vertex can take quite a large amount of abuse and has not cracked yet.. *knock on wood*. and from what i've been told by a local, the vertex kit is about 2-3 times thicker than a normal fiberglass kit.
werd....I've had the Do-Luck kit , the VIS kit, and now the AC kit. ALL were of different qualities. NO problems with fitment on the do-luck or the AC kit. the VIS on the other hand.... horrible. I never put it on, i sold it after a week after i purchased the darn thing. What a waste of $350...
Old 07-15-05 | 11:02 AM
SC400DAVE
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AutoCoutureSC
werd....I've had the Do-Luck kit , the VIS kit, and now the AC kit. ALL were of different qualities. NO problems with fitment on the do-luck or the AC kit. the VIS on the other hand.... horrible. I never put it on, i sold it after a week after i purchased the darn thing. What a waste of $350...
Hey AutoCoutureSC, how come you have time to respond to this post, but not the one you started to sell your spark plugs? Or your PMs`. Not cool!
Old 07-15-05 | 12:46 PM
SC3005SPD1
Lead Lap

alright so then what kits look like that vertx that are of better quality or descent. Im not gettin the kit for racing or show purposes. I may or maynot drop the car being that i do live in ny and pot hole city. I just want an alternative to the expensive body parts to do the 97+ conversion
Old 07-15-05 | 12:58 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SC400DAVE
Hey AutoCoutureSC, how come you have time to respond to this post, but not the one you started to sell your spark plugs? Or your PMs`. Not cool!
Not cool?!? no comment.....

I do have a life...... and I am on vacation for a month..... so excuse me if i want to live a little.
Old 07-15-05 | 01:02 PM
Lexologist
Driver

Come on now, group hug everyone

Old 07-15-05 | 01:04 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

anyhow....... back on subject. Please respond to my spark plug thread instead of this body kit thread.
Old 07-15-05 | 07:45 PM
BMwhat?
Lead Lap

$1300? only kits i know of in that price range was Bomex. If you bought a Bomex, you probably bought it in its later stages when they changed manufacturing plants. The quality is crap now. Mentioned this in SF and CL forums. I think this is hte only exception. Fiberglass is not fiberglass. from MY personal experience.
yeah actually i did get a bomex kit for my 240 back in 2002... the sideskirts didn't even fit at all... they told me there was a month wait on them, so i opted for a veilside sideskirt and those had fitment issues too.
Old 07-15-05 | 07:48 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BMwhat?
yeah actually i did get a bomex kit for my 240 back in 2002... the sideskirts didn't even fit at all... they told me there was a month wait on them, so i opted for a veilside sideskirt and those had fitment issues too.

yeah, i think that was around the time of their manufacuring change. hope all is well.
Old 07-15-05 | 07:52 PM
Lexologist
Driver

Anyone hear of RaceOn USA? They have been in a couple of tuning magazines...

www.raceonusa.com

What about their quality? They make knockoffs, but they seem comparable. Anyone sporting a kit from them?
Old 07-15-05 | 07:56 PM
BMwhat?
Lead Lap

yeah, i think that was around the time of their manufacuring change. hope all is well.
yeah... i sold her and got my SC. and im lovin it!
Old 07-15-05 | 08:02 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lexologist
Anyone hear of RaceOn USA? They have been in a couple of tuning magazines...

www.raceonusa.com

What about their quality? They make knockoffs, but they seem comparable. Anyone sporting a kit from them?
we'll know soon enough.... patience....
Old 07-15-05 | 08:05 PM
Lexologist
Driver

we'll know soon enough.... patience....
Yeah, from me when its too late...

Someone want to chime in for this company before I order next week?
Old 07-15-05 | 08:06 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lexologist
Yeah, from me when its too late...

Someone want to chime in for this company before I order next week?
PM me with what you're going to order if you don't want to post up here. THey're local to me.... and another member here knows the guy that runs the place.

Maybe we can test fit it for ya! hehe
Old 07-16-05 | 11:47 AM
roo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Idrewfelix
Umm.. I see alot of people here not having experience with the knock offs, and saying they're horrible.

I have a knockoff and people tell me my car looks clean. I had barely any fitament issues, the fiberglass is THICK, and overall the kit looks mean.

I don't mean to sound like a jerk/hater or start some sort of flame war but after reading your post, I can't help but comment. "Settle for nothing less than perfect " isn't exactly you're slogan if you're rocking knockoff stuff. We can see how poor your knock off fits from your picture...look at the driver's side where it meets the fender. That's a pretty huge gap. If we can see it in such a small image, I'm sure it's much worse in person. The line where it meets the hood doesn't look right either but it'a not as bad as the side. Thick fiberglass is NOT a positive thing to look for in aero parts. The kit looks "mean" because it was designed that way by Vertex....but your kit looks cheap because it's a poor fitting copy of the authentic piece and it's missing the fogs...

I see good examples of both authentic and knockoff kits just about everyday. Let's just say I won't let knock off parts come near my car. There are many issues other than fitment but fitment is usaually bad on the knockoffs so that's the main thing people notice.

As people have already said, the money you "save" by buying a knockoff usually goes to makeing the kit look right and forcing it to fit right...which isn't always possible. So then you finally get it on your car and painted and then you've successfully made your car look cheaper. You're better off leaving it stock.

Alot of the knockoff material is either too think or too thick. The difference? Too thin is brittle and shatters very easily. Too thick is heavy and fitment usually suffers as well as the bodyshop's ability to force it too fit. Most of the high quality kits are lightweight, thin, flexible and have great fitment out of the box.

I don't see it often in the U.S. but in Japan, people buy authentic because they can remove the authentic parts and sell them for decent $$ if they sell their car. Knock off kits usually have to be hacked up and pasted on to fit and it's not worth it to sell the parts used because they aren't authentic and the quality really shows over time. Think of the aero parts as an investment that you can actually get a return on and it makes more sense.

Last edited by roo; 07-16-05 at 12:07 PM.
Old 07-16-05 | 02:28 PM
SC3005SPD1
Lead Lap

so who sells nice authentic kits? with no fitting issues

Quick Reply: Attn Body kit experts