SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Attn Body kit experts

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-05 | 03:29 PM
BMwhat?
Lead Lap

ha! we went from pricing and fitment to legality and morality....
yeah... im done with this thread too. Good luck with everyones body kit choices

and ROO.... 400% was me being sarcastic.
Old 07-19-05 | 04:12 PM
roo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SC400DAVE
Maybe not. That is not the answer to my question. My question is from an ethical and moral viewpoint as to whether the parts are made legally, and sold legally, or are they made bootleg style, ripping off the patent holder. Are these bootlegs sold by reputable companies or do you have to go to someones garage to buy them? I am new to this so, an honest answer would be appreciated. . By the way to an untrained eye, the fake kits look fine.IMO
They are the same thing as a bootleg. Although Veilside and a few other of the larger company with U.S. offices have patents on certain kits, most parts are not patented but remain intellectual property rights/trade dress of the original company. Basically, the end user isn't comitting a crime but the manufacturer and distributors are infringing on the original companies intellectual property rights/trade dress and can be held liable. (they are profiting by stealing a design that does not belong to them and they are not authorized to reproduce)

Most companies that sell knockoffs have alot of issues because so many of them have angry customers regarding the fitment and quality of the parts they"re selling. The funny thing is with knockoffs you may get something that has decent fitment or you may get something that is totally off. The molds used to make knockoffs fall apart over time (this is one of the corners they cut to cut the end cost) and so quality and fitment are not consistant. (so you get buyer x that buys knockoff a and has decent fitment and then buyer y buys knockoff a and it has horrible fitment and the complaints come rolling in to the companies who sell the knockoffs and manufacturers who tend to be reluctant to do anything about the issues)
Old 07-19-05 | 04:17 PM
roo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BMwhat?
ha! we went from pricing and fitment to legality and morality....
yeah... im done with this thread too. Good luck with everyones body kit choices
They are all issues with knockoffs though so they can't be ignored.

and ROO.... 400% was me being sarcastic.
No worries I don't take any of this stuff too personal. I'm on here to be informative, not get into pointless internet battles.
Old 07-19-05 | 04:44 PM
Swifty
Pole Position

http://www.jtuned.com/tune.aspx

on the subject of aero...

Old 07-19-05 | 04:45 PM
VeilSideGS3
Lexus Test Driver

VeilSide!!!
Old 07-19-05 | 06:27 PM
SC3005SPD1
Lead Lap

all i wanted to know was what was a good nice looking kit buy and now all this? lol ooops
Old 07-19-05 | 08:20 PM
BMwhat?
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SC3005SPD1
all i wanted to know was what was a good nice looking kit buy and now all this? lol ooops
you see!!!! So it was you?!!!!!!!! you opened up the gates of hell.... just playin bro... people here are just very passionate when it comes to their SC and we tend to get a little carried away. its all in good fun. i'm sure we're not going to go out and fight on the streets when we see other on a meet.

after all, this isn't a Honda forum....
Old 07-27-05 | 12:47 AM
SC400DAVE
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by roo
They are the same thing as a bootleg. Although Veilside and a few other of the larger company with U.S. offices have patents on certain kits, most parts are not patented but remain intellectual property rights/trade dress of the original company. Basically, the end user isn't comitting a crime but the manufacturer and distributors are infringing on the original companies intellectual property rights/trade dress and can be held liable. (they are profiting by stealing a design that does not belong to them and they are not authorized to reproduce)

Most companies that sell knockoffs have alot of issues because so many of them have angry customers regarding the fitment and quality of the parts they"re selling. The funny thing is with knockoffs you may get something that has decent fitment or you may get something that is totally off. The molds used to make knockoffs fall apart over time (this is one of the corners they cut to cut the end cost) and so quality and fitment are not consistant. (so you get buyer x that buys knockoff a and has decent fitment and then buyer y buys knockoff a and it has horrible fitment and the complaints come rolling in to the companies who sell the knockoffs and manufacturers who tend to be reluctant to do anything about the issues)
Thanks for the info. That makes up my mind. I will be getting the original version because I am passionate about what will go on, in ,or near my SC. New fake cheesy crap goes on my ride As for the original poster, there is a group buy started by Kirby @ Luxury Mods for the real deal . Unfortunatily, a body kit will be one of the last things I do. Got too much gotta do maint. stuff to do first.
Old 07-27-05 | 02:56 PM
roo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SC400DAVE
Thanks for the info. That makes up my mind. I will be getting the original version because I am passionate about what will go on, in ,or near my SC. New fake cheesy crap goes on my ride As for the original poster, there is a group buy started by Kirby @ Luxury Mods for the real deal . Unfortunatily, a body kit will be one of the last things I do. Got too much gotta do maint. stuff to do first.
I'm glad to hear that. Kirby is a good guy and I highly reccomend him an Luxury Mods.
Old 07-27-05 | 06:44 PM
CantSeeMe
Lead Lap

you see!!!! So it was you?!!!!!!!! you opened up the gates of hell.... just playin bro... people here are just very passionate when it comes to their SC and we tend to get a little carried away. its all in good fun. i'm sure we're not going to go out and fight on the streets when we see other on a meet.

after all, this isn't a Honda forum....
Or Supraforums for that matter .
Old 07-27-05 | 09:11 PM
1JZSC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by roo
it still has fitment issues where it meets the hood and needs a front grill.
What the hell are you talking about? There is no gap there either. That black strip you see is a piece of rubber that is on all SCs and almost all Toyotas. It's there to protect the bumper from someone slamming the hood.

I am a firm supporter of buying original. If everyone were to buy a knock off, the original companies will eventually disappear. With that said, stop trying to find faults where there are none to be found. It looks damn good for what he paid. There is nothing wrong with getting something that looks decent for 20% of the price of the original. The difference between a knock off and an original is quality. You get what you pay for.

Why are you here knocking on people's **** when you are rocking a knock-off yourself? Your Celica better be an All Trac. You ripped off the whole Tom's Castrol theme. You have a GT Four badge on your car and you start bring up legality of knock-off and yet have a Japanese plate. For those that don't know, in Japan you don't buy a plate. You more or less rent it. When you deregister a car, you give the plate back. The only way to keep a plate is to steal one off of someone’s car. I notice you were at Irwindale, so do you drag or circle track your rally monster...
Old 07-27-05 | 09:36 PM
happypanda
Lead Lap

i got the vspeed ebay kit also...i say i agree with both sides..you do get what you paid for...but with alittle work it can fit actually pretty decent. either way, im not complaining b/c i would rather spend the money i saved on other mods like boost =). ill show pics of my car when its done....its not the best but it gets the job done...to each his own..the way i see it is, it looks nice either way, and if it gets damage, oh wellz...it was cheap to begin with hehe...
Old 07-27-05 | 09:50 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

The OEM '97 upgrade fit's like a charm
Old 07-27-05 | 09:55 PM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1JZSC
What the hell are you talking about? There is no gap there either. That black strip you see is a piece of rubber that is on all SCs and almost all Toyotas. It's there to protect the bumper from someone slamming the hood.

I am a firm supporter of buying original. If everyone were to buy a knock off, the original companies will eventually disappear. With that said, stop trying to find faults where there are none to be found. It looks damn good for what he paid. There is nothing wrong with getting something that looks decent for 20% of the price of the original. The difference between a knock off and an original is quality. You get what you pay for.

Why are you here knocking on people's **** when you are rocking a knock-off yourself? Your Celica better be an All Trac. You ripped off the whole Tom's Castrol theme. You have a GT Four badge on your car and you start bring up legality of knock-off and yet have a Japanese plate. For those that don't know, in Japan you don't buy a plate. You more or less rent it. When you deregister a car, you give the plate back. The only way to keep a plate is to steal one off of someone’s car. I notice you were at Irwindale, so do you drag or circle track your rally monster...
Yeah, Roo is alittle bit on the fanatical side, but everyone is entitled to their opinons.

On the other hand, I still stand firm on what I did. I got the kit, got it fitted and painted for $1000. That is the half the price of a Vertex Kit, and a third of it to get it fitted/painted. And even then, there are fitment issues with the real kit.
Old 07-27-05 | 09:56 PM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by happypanda
i got the vspeed ebay kit also...i say i agree with both sides..you do get what you paid for...but with alittle work it can fit actually pretty decent. either way, im not complaining b/c i would rather spend the money i saved on other mods like boost =). ill show pics of my car when its done....its not the best but it gets the job done...to each his own..the way i see it is, it looks nice either way, and if it gets damage, oh wellz...it was cheap to begin with hehe...
Exactly. You guys will see where the other funds went to instead of the expensive body kit in less than a month.

Quick Reply: Attn Body kit experts