SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Limo tint on the winshiled...

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-05, 02:33 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys tinting your ENTIRE windshields in Cali are gonna regret it...especially if it's your daily driver. The pork links will be gunning for you...guaranteed...

Brett, got the tranny fixed huh? Was the high stall TC the cause of the tranny failure? Please tell me it wasn't...
Old 07-22-05, 02:34 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i never had a problem, it was a really light tint (but enough that you could slightly notice it) but the fact that i had really dark tint everywhere else made it look stock
Old 07-22-05, 02:49 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The old windshield strip tint - we used to do that back in the 80s.
From inside the car, it's like driving a chop-top '49 Mercury.

These days, I just tint the entire thing- with a light tint.
Old 07-22-05, 03:15 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
Me too Bob, I don't like getting pulled over for silly things like "your tint is too dark"
Old 07-22-05, 06:51 PM
Twirl
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
how light are we talking? like 35%?How does it do in heavy rainstorms??? or at night?
Old 07-22-05, 08:49 PM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I got pulled over yesterday.. "Can you even see out that window? Its pitch black.., wheres your inspection stick? Wheres your registration sticker? Wheres your front liscence plate?.. Oh ok, I don't write over this.. [walks away]" - continues driving..
Old 07-23-05, 04:01 PM
cal9126
Pole Position

can tint shops make the tints fade????

like have it limo at the top for a little bit of the window and then have it progressively get lighter???
Old 07-23-05, 04:31 PM
sourcemine
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mikeloc24
You guys tinting your ENTIRE windshields in Cali are gonna regret it...especially if it's your daily driver. The pork links will be gunning for you...guaranteed...

Brett, got the tranny fixed huh? Was the high stall TC the cause of the tranny failure? Please tell me it wasn't...
Yes, 18month warranty, no the TC wasnt the culprit, so now I have 18months on the warranty. And I just changed all the maintence items, sparks, distrutor caps, rotors, wire set, full engine update.
Old 09-20-05, 12:00 PM
97Soarer
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Speaking of laws, is it considered a moving violation in the state of CA to have your front two windows tinted? I'm getting mixed responses. Also, how about the case for front license plate? Are all these considered moving violations or just some stupid $10 fix-it ticket to help support your local county.

I had my previous car tinted limo black and was ticketed as a moving violation. I went to traffic school due to a window tint (damn campus police)! That's why I'm so hesitant on doing it now.
Old 09-20-05, 12:36 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97Soarer
Speaking of laws, is it considered a moving violation in the state of CA to have your front two windows tinted? I'm getting mixed responses. Also, how about the case for front license plate? Are all these considered moving violations or just some stupid $10 fix-it ticket to help support your local county.

I had my previous car tinted limo black and was ticketed as a moving violation. I went to traffic school due to a window tint (damn campus police)! That's why I'm so hesitant on doing it now.
$10 fix it waste your time tickets man. Go for it. I've gotten about 4 tint tickets and I just strip it, get it checked off, then go back and give the tint shop $40 to re-tint the front door windows. It sucks but I refuse to drive around in a damn fish tank, lol.
Old 09-20-05, 01:00 PM
neoprelude
Driver

On the prelude forum most everyone in CA who had their front windows tinted got nailed eventually, but then again popo picks more so on honda's. I have 20 percent all around cept windshield, at first afraid of getting pulled over. But I've been pulled over a few times with windows up and cops didn't say one word, in the daytime you can see perfectly in (I guess because of the light tan interior) at night you won't see nuthin . Wanna goto 10 percent or 15 and 30 percent on the winshield PA rules with tint I guess, but i've had friends with other cars get in trouble (they don't bother the lexus, guess they think some old person)
Old 09-20-05, 01:07 PM
sc.Fred
Instructor

Originally Posted by nnnickkk
that first pic looks awesome! instead of just doing a strip i did the whole windsheild
you got any pictures of that? i would like to see.. that's crazy yo and how much percent did you tint it?
Old 09-20-05, 01:13 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I was going to do 50% in the front but the installer warned me not to. He said combined with the rest of my car (15%) and the black interior, a cop will know and he's even had a customer where the cop impounded his car for entire windshield, I settled for a strip covering down to the bottom of the rear view. I wish I had done more....
Old 09-20-05, 01:23 PM
neoprelude
Driver

Originally Posted by Xotic sC
I was going to do 50% in the front but the installer warned me not to. He said combined with the rest of my car (15%) and the black interior, a cop will know and he's even had a customer where the cop impounded his car for entire windshield, I settled for a strip covering down to the bottom of the rear view. I wish I had done more....
Honestly with 15 percent all around, and 50 percent on the windshield. The rest of the car will look sooo dark compareds to the windshield, that it will make the windshield look factory. To give you an example the factory tint on the SC's windows are 70 percent which isn't nothing can't even notice unless you REALLY look and 50 percent will only be a 1/3rd darker which isn't much at all. I mean 35 percent isn't even dark especially with tan interior. But the 50 percent would of helped a bit with the heat in the summers, because most of the heat gets through the windshield since it's the biggest glass opening in the car.
Old 09-21-05, 04:43 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by neoprelude
Honestly with 15 percent all around, and 50 percent on the windshield. The rest of the car will look sooo dark compareds to the windshield, that it will make the windshield look factory. To give you an example the factory tint on the SC's windows are 70 percent which isn't nothing can't even notice unless you REALLY look and 50 percent will only be a 1/3rd darker which isn't much at all. I mean 35 percent isn't even dark especially with tan interior. But the 50 percent would of helped a bit with the heat in the summers, because most of the heat gets through the windshield since it's the biggest glass opening in the car.

lol, what are you talking about man. When I was at the shop, I asked them to test fit a 50% on the front for me with the 15% already installed over a year ago. They did it and the conclusion was that almost anybody could tell I tinted the front windshield (even at 50%) Please Remember I have a black interior and it does in fact play a role of how much you can see inside somebodies tinted car. That is why I decided to go with strip longer than usual (I wished I went down about 2 more inches)

Quick Reply: Limo tint on the winshiled...