SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Mounting front spoiler lip on a 95 SC400

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-05, 04:15 PM
cheungsta
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mounting front spoiler lip on a 95 SC400

I searched, and couldn't really find a good write up / instructions / help with mounting the front spoiler lip on a 95 SC400 front bumper. Who has done it? How hard was it? I'm hoping to get put it on tomorrow, and then hopefully get it painted next week

TIA for any help...
Old 07-26-05, 04:45 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

Duct tape

Inevitably you are just going to have to drill and screw. Might as well line it up and make some holes.
Old 07-26-05, 05:04 PM
Nomis
Lead Lap

Make sure to post some pics once you get it installed.
Old 07-26-05, 05:51 PM
dinh626
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Post pics if you get it painted. I've always wanted to paint mine but it's cracked.
Old 07-26-05, 05:55 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you mean the stock one or aftermarket lips??
Old 07-26-05, 06:40 PM
Ikrshinji
Rookie

The stock spolier comes with some retainer pieces and should have pre-drilled holes. They should also have some bolts on there as well. You can just line them up with your stock bumper and drill holes on the bottom. I used stickers to mark the placement of where to drill the holes. Place the retainer pieces after fitting the spoiler on. Then get some nuts and washers and screw them on the bolts.

I recommend removing the bumper first. Also get good drill bits and primer and paint before installing.
Old 07-26-05, 11:28 PM
Nomis
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ikrshinji
The stock spolier comes with some retainer pieces and should have pre-drilled holes. They should also have some bolts on there as well. You can just line them up with your stock bumper and drill holes on the bottom. I used stickers to mark the placement of where to drill the holes. Place the retainer pieces after fitting the spoiler on. Then get some nuts and washers and screw them on the bolts.

I recommend removing the bumper first. Also get good drill bits and primer and paint before installing.
I take it you've done this before. Any pics of the finished product on your ride?
Old 07-27-05, 09:29 AM
cheungsta
Lead Lap

alright...I've found two threads regarding the removal of the front bumper...can anyone veriify that it's the same for 95-96 SCs? (I think the threads were originally started for 92-94 SCs) I'd like to do this myself, but I just don't wanna **** it up...

thread 1: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=128298

thread 2:https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...0&page=2&pp=15
Old 07-27-05, 09:52 AM
Ikrshinji
Rookie

About the first thread: Those scans are probably from a 93-94 SC400 manual where the lip was included and the holes are pre-drilled for the spoiler. It shouldn't be any different except from 95-96 models. I've done it on my own car (96 sc300) and those diagrams are accurate. Just expect to remove a sheer amount of screws and clips. Not to mention some manual dexerity involved in removing the bumper. Siblings are always a good thing to have around . Make sure you have enough clearance underneath and don't forget SAFETY FIRST!

I used an electric cordless swivel screw driver to remove just about every screw. And a rachet to remove the tougher ones buried near the headlamp and fender areas.

Pic of my painted lip to come ... once I get home
Old 07-27-05, 11:36 AM
sightdev
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cheungsta
alright...I've found two threads regarding the removal of the front bumper...can anyone veriify that it's the same for 95-96 SCs? (I think the threads were originally started for 92-94 SCs) I'd like to do this myself, but I just don't wanna **** it up...

thread 1: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=128298

thread 2:https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...0&page=2&pp=15

originally '95-'96 doesn't have a lip piece. It must be an after market spoiler.
Old 07-27-05, 11:44 AM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sightdev
originally '95-'96 doesn't have a lip piece. It must be an after market spoiler.
95-96 did not come with that spoiler but the 92-94 lip spoilers fit on there with some modifying. They are not aftermarket...

The removal of the bumpers of all years should be essentially the same.

#1 - remove headlights
#2 - remove the screws on top of the middle of the bumper
#3 - remove the pop screws underneath each headlight
#4 - remove the screws near the corner lenses
#5 - remove the screws on the bottom of the bumper which attaches to your plastic engine covers...

Should be pretty easy and straight forward once you start taking things off...

Good luck!
Old 07-27-05, 12:51 PM
cheungsta
Lead Lap

cool, thanks guys! I (think) i might give it a try...for those of you who mounted the spoiler lip to a 95-96 SC, did you guys have all of the mounting brackets? I've got the center mounting bracket, which I heard is the most important....but I don't have the two little side ones. If you guys didn't have the brackets, what's a good idea on how to mount them? Any ideas on fabricating a mount? Just thought I'd ask all these questions before I start taking apart...

Another idea I'm having is that I might just bring the lip into a body shop (to mount it and get it painted at the same time). Just curious...what's a reasonable price if I decide to have this done? (I'm a little chicken when it comes to drilling into my car.... )
Old 07-27-05, 01:09 PM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

A nice paint job for your front bumper would be around $350

You can get a cheap job done for $150..
Old 07-27-05, 03:11 PM
Ikrshinji
Rookie

Time for a trip to home depot. Basically you need something long but somewhat flexible to reinforce the bolts and the lip. I think there are some pieces that are aluminum based and is pretty easy to drill through with the right drill bit. But it's a shame you don't have the side retainers. They are actually harder to imitate because they are already curved to the shape of the bumper.

I've actually took the liberty to ask a few mechanics in the area before doing it myself.

Average is around 60 bucks for the lip installed only (providing all the parts myself) but if they require the bumper to be removed, 60+75=135. Painted and installed is around 150 bucks for the lip alone.
Old 07-27-05, 09:03 PM
cheungsta
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ikrshinji
Average is around 60 bucks for the lip installed only (providing all the parts myself) but if they require the bumper to be removed, 60+75=135. Painted and installed is around 150 bucks for the lip alone.
Hmm...$150 for install and paint?! What part of Cali are in...I might have to visit the shop u go to, if my other shop quotes me too high

Quick Reply: Mounting front spoiler lip on a 95 SC400