SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Dyno results...

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-01 | 08:55 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

This weekend I'm taking my car to get it Dyno'ed. I'm taking the factory exhaust with me, and I'm going to put that back on so I can see what I started at. Then with my custom exhaust. Each step of the way I'm going to dyno it....air intake....turbo....intercooler, etc. I've noticed a few people have asked about this, so I figured I would post it!

There's a dyno in Greensboro, NC that's $50 to make 3 runs. $65 for an hour. So I'll be taking it over there every once in a while. I'm also going to try it with and without aftermarket wheels....just to see if less rolling weight makes a difference on the dyno. Also maybe even without and airfilter at all, to see what it gets.

I've got a 93 SC300, 57k miles, 5-speed. Just figured I'd let you know for comparison.

SR
Old 07-02-01 | 12:21 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Keep us posted. Which exhaust do you have???

Turbo coming I see...:eek:
Old 07-02-01 | 02:55 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

I got the local muffler shop, Monroe Mufflers, to do it. Well I was getting 2.5" split to 2", but they messed up and made it 3" from the header back to the split, and 2.75" after the split into a couple DynoMax SuperTurbo mufflers. They still charged me for the 2.5 and 2 becuase thats the stuff they put on my quote....heh

I'm putting Borla tips on it, or maybe it was Monza. Well I'll know in a week when they get here...lol The shop made some square tips out of chrome to put on there, because they didn't have anyhting else...and I didn't get my tips in time. They're going to weld these on for free when I get them.

All in all, it has less than half the price that all the Borla and GReddy kits are. And it's 3" with a better sound!

SR
Old 07-03-01 | 09:30 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

SR, you are doing it the RIGHT way knowing what you have before and after a mod is very helpful. Since you are planning a turbo the exhaust you have should work VERY well. It may not help (could actually hurt) you current power output but let us know either way.
Old 07-03-01 | 09:48 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Ya, I can tell it has hurt the bottom end, but the top end does seem a little better. I put this exhaust on planning for a turbo....I didn't really wanna put on $500 worth of exhaust to help now, only to replace that when I went with a turbo. I can stand the low-end loss for now. It's a 5speed so I don't notice it as much.

SR
Old 07-11-01 | 04:30 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Ok. Some interesting results. WIth a factory exhaust and intake I was getting 157hp average. YUCK! Decided to try with the new intake first, 221hp average!!! WTF?! Well guess what, in my car was the same air filter that it came with from the factory. OMG that thing was so dirty it was black. And to think I've been driving the last 2.5 months like that, and actually thinking the performance was not bad. Well needless to say, WOW!

Put the aftermarket custom exhaust back on the car, 229hp average. 8hp extra, not bad for just an exhaust.

Last thing...went up to the gas station, put in my 107 octane booster, and filled up with 93 premium.

237hp average!!!!

Well out on the road, this thing feels like a monster now! What a difference almost 100hp makes! I just couldn't believe it. Usually I would have replaced plugs and everything first thing, but I figured it was close enough to the 60k service that I would wait. Never again will I not check the air filter.

Wonder why this wasn't done before they sold the car??

Also, now I can really tell that my clutch is worn out....grip sucks. So I guess I'll be putting the new one on before the nitrous. I've got an APEXi Super AFC on the way, so I'll be able to step up the amount of fuel being dumped into the engine and maybe run 100hp shot of nitrous. We'll see!

That's the newest update....and my advice is for everyone to check their air filters!!!
Old 08-01-01 | 10:23 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

:eek: :eek: :eek: SR, please do not take this as a flame as I don't doubt that you are telling the truth from you experience BUT something is NOT right here... The stock engine is rated at 230hp flywheel. Loss through the drivetrain on a 5 speed would be around 50hp leaving around 180rwhp. With a DIRTY air cleaner 157rwhp is very believable. 221rwhp is NOT believable. Here is the chassis dyno results from the Swift Racing website for the GS300:
http://www.swiftracing.com/vehicles/.../intake300.htm

The GS300 is rated at 220hp and puts 174 to the wheels. With SRTs intake AND computer tuning it picks up 12 more to 186. This is a VERY good gain for just an air cleaner. Your increase of 8hp for exhaust is also believable. The increase for octane is not believable. Higher octane is HARDER to burn and only yields more power IF your engine needs it because of high compression or turbo/supercharging. If you were detonating on poor quality gas and the knock sensor was retarding timing, adding octane would increase power BUT you retarded power would be LOW. I am at a loss to explain your numbers. I would suggest taking it to a track or using a GTech to generate 1/4 mile speed. With that number you can calculate power. With 230rwhp in a 3800lb car (car and driver) you should see trap speeds of around 98mph... please keep us updated. BTW, sorry to hear that you have to sell the car. Good luck down under
Old 08-01-01 | 03:52 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Those HP ratings have 15% added to compensate for the drivetrain loss.

Hope that helps ya!

SR