SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

gold emblems

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-01, 10:34 AM
new to lexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Anybody know a good (cheap) place to buy gold emblems?
And how much should I expect to spend?

Why do some sites have them listed for certain years only...I thought that the emblems were just on by an adhesive? So what difference would it make what model year the car is. Only thing I could think of is if they have changed the look of the emblem...which is a good thing to have the newer looking ones right!?

Thanx!

p.s. I know some of you are going to suggest the junkyards. I have been calling various junkyards frequently because I also need taillights for my '92 SC (and yes I do tell them 92-96) but it seems nobody ever gets any in!
Old 07-03-01, 11:18 AM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey man....don't get gold emblems. I just got some new chrome emblems b/c my gold ones were fading and they look soooooo much better than the gold ones ever did. The emblem are not on just by adhesive, they have some prongs on the back. On the rear L, there are 4 prongs. On the front L, there are 3 prongs. On the rear LEXUS, there are 5 prongs. I dont know bout the rear SC300/400 b/c i threw it away. My silver amblems cost me 127 from the dealership:eek: :eek:, so gold would be verrrry exspensive, but someone here sells the gold ones for 80.
Old 07-03-01, 11:32 AM
new to lexus
Rookie

I actually have chromes on right now. They are just too plain! I have a black car so gold would look really good. Chrome does look nice on the white ones though (like yours).

The ones for sale are generally just with adhesive...would I just put them over the prong holes? A lot of people have said that the orignal emblems are only adhesive as well...did it used to be pronged and in newer models only adhesive?

Do you know who it was that sells them for 80?? I found them on ebay for 129 with shipping for "Gold Plated on Lexus Factory Parts"
Old 07-03-01, 03:52 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gold probably would look a lot better on black. I do not know whether the newer style emblems have prongs or not (im assuming htey do), but if u have an older model SC, u cant get the newer SC emblem b/c the SCDX and 300/400 is seperated, while in the older SC's they rnt. However, that is the only difference b/t the newer and older emblems, so u might as well just get the older style emblems b/c there is no difference. For the person that sells the chrome ones for 80 go to my profile and look through my older threads concerning emblems.
Old 07-03-01, 04:44 PM
vj604
Driver

can i buy your silver lexus emblem if you take it off and dont break it while removing?
Old 07-03-01, 05:25 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Hey, if you really like the gold, go for it.

But, take a look around and see who's got them on their cars. Gold was in a few years ago. Now, it's very unusual to see them on cars owned by drivers under 85.

IMO, spend your money on something that adds something more to your ride. The gold thing is played out.

PS. If you've just gotta do the gold thing call around to the custom shops, autobody and paint shops in your area. I'm told there are peple who can plate the emblems while they're on your car. I think GSWILL mentioned it in another post a while back.

Last edited by RealMarty; 07-03-01 at 05:28 PM.
Old 07-03-01, 07:33 PM
bradrulz
Driver School Candidate

Default I have gold emblems....

I have gold emblems on my pearl white 1998 SC300 I just bought......and I am only 25

I think the gold looks great...it makes it stand out on any color car.

I think the gold gets played out when some people have everything gold...or chrome for that matter. ie. the wheel well flares, door handles, gold rims, etc....

Just having the emblems gold is just right in my opinion.
Old 07-04-01, 12:25 AM
new to lexus
Rookie

MyLexusSC300...I thought u meant 80 for the gold. haha, guess I was just dreaming. I have chromes now so I wouldn't need to buy them. And between seperated or not, I would go with whichever was cheaper! haha, since there is no difference anyways.

vj604...Yes, you are more than welcome to buy my silver emblems if I do not break them. I plan to be very careful so hopefully I don't break them! (although I did break the window trim when I took it off to replace the tweeters, but I didn't know what I was doing then!) Where do you live? With shipping costs is it even worth it to buy them from me? As you have seen yourself, they are available new for 80. However, if you do want them, I will take pictures of them after I take them off so you can see their condition (excellent) before buying them. Question...you want to buy silvers...does that mean you are taking off your golds? Wanna trade!? haha. PM me or email me at lovedoc911@aol.com and let me know what you think a fair price for my silvers would be.

RealMarty...yes I really do like the gold, hehe. I do see them on many cars with drivers under 85 and I think it looks good. The silver on a black car is just too plain. Although I agree its not a fad any longer to go out and get them changed to gold, I do not believe that they are played out. Plus I am by nature a gold lover. I wear lots of jewelery and it is only 22K gold. I will call around per your suggestion, however I wonder how much I can actually save. To get them gold plated (removing them yourself and taking to a shop) it costs $25 per piece under 5" or $5 per small letter. That easily totals over $100 and the guy off ebay is selling them for $129.

bradrulz...I totally agree with everything you said!

Old 07-04-01, 03:02 AM
BertL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a '95 pearl white SC300 purchased new, way back then in Hawaii of all places (yes, some people get to work there!)... Anyway, I had the emblems, logos on the wheels and tips plated in the aftermarket -- not from Lexus. Was a great decision as they gave me a 5 year written guarantee on fading and would replate for no charge during that time. Unfortunately, I brought the car to the mainland with me when I had to move -- now living in Atlanta, and no way to get it back for the slight touch-ups needed. While silver or gold are personal preferences, I still get a lot of great comments about how well the gold looks against the white -- but what really makes it different with just that extra personalization is having the tips done. Looks just great from a profile view.
Old 07-04-01, 07:43 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

BertL,

Are you planning on making it to the meet on Sunday?

Dave and Buster's
Steve Reynolds
1 PM

Be great to meet you there.