SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Wild soarers

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-05, 01:06 PM
texsn95
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Idrewfelix
Someone please tell me why so many people hate wings on their car? Some of them actually do work, esp when you have 500 rwhp to the wheels.

Would you look at a car differently if it had 500 HP but had a wing on it?
I'd respect it, but still laugh and think 'wtf'.

How many 500rwhp drag racers have that crap on it? None.

A tiny pecentage of those kind of wings actually serve a purpose, as with some type of road racing. The 2000 Cobra R came with a tall wing, but was designed that way to race in competition. And how many road racers have 500 rwhp? None. At that power, wing be damned, only the right tires, gearing and suspension setup are going to help the car hook up and be stable. Most of what you see today is just add on, tasteless tacky junk.
Old 08-05-05, 01:19 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Someone please tell me why so many people hate wings on their car? Some of them actually do work, esp when you have 500 rwhp to the wheels.

Would you look at a car differently if it had 500 HP but had a wing on it?

It's all just personal preference. My opinion is that if you like it...Floss it!! But I have to add a bit to your statement.
Yes, some (a lot actually) wings actually work. But in order to work the vehicle must be traveling at a minimum speed. Size of the wing, angle, airflow over the car all affect this figure. The fact that a car may have 500hp or 5000hp has NO bearing on the function of the wing. The vehicle still must reach a minimum speed before the wing can begin to function. Now, the functional need for a wing (even on a 500hp street car) is none! Unless you are driving around city streets at highly illegal speeds, all the time, you would never be at the speeds to aerodynamically need a rear mounted wing. Highway speeds? Proves my point even more so!! At 500hp, you are not going to break that rear-end loose, and weaving in and out of traffic and need the stability, another whole different legal issue.
So, I think we can all agree that wings are a purely cosmetic item. Some people like 'em, some don't. In that arena, I think we all agree to disagree.
Old 08-05-05, 01:45 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by roo
I say go for it. The black one is nice but I'm not too crazy about the aristo grill either.

This is my fav...

Really nice one. The white one looks good. For some reason I think the ones with minimal negative camber and un-stretched tires look much nicer
Old 08-05-05, 01:54 PM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mkorsu
So, I think we can all agree that wings are a purely cosmetic item. Some people like 'em, some don't. In that arena, I think we all agree to disagree.
What if you track your car?

And why do JGTC cars have huge rediculous wings on them?
Old 08-05-05, 02:03 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

What if you track your car?

And why do JGTC cars have huge rediculous wings on them?

If you race your car on a track, it only proves my point. You're not needing the wing on the street.

And JGTC cars are race-specific cars based on production models.

In either of these scenarios the cars are reaching very high speeds and the use of the wing becomes critical. There's just no practical use for them on the street.

I do think some wings look great on a car. I prefer the OEM wing on my '92 SC as opposed to no wing at all. But that is just my personal preference. Others prefer the no wing look, or they want uncluttered lines. Ultimately, the majority of cars can look good with a wing as long as it fits the lines of the car and the look you are going for.

Things like a 3 tier wing that extends 10 inches out on either side of a car, WOOD SCREWED onto the back of a Cavalier does not accentuate that car.
Old 08-05-05, 02:39 PM
sc.Fred
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cloud9
Please do this!!!!

minus the grille insert
agreed!
Old 08-05-05, 03:01 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

hehe.... I guess you have the same taste as me.... My car is getting a make over right now. The exterior should be done sometime the begining of next year or so. Then you'll get to see one of those "wild soarers" in the states
Old 08-05-05, 06:40 PM
jacques
Pole Position

Big wings look good on some cars, especially one you know they are really fast even if not that functional. But it you want to argue against them because they are not function you should condone nearly all spoilers, bodykits, nice paintjobs, foglights, nice rims/tires, good stereos, leather, and anyone with over a 70hp since that's they aren't exactly functional. Just be tolerant and let people enjoy what they like rather than be angry all the time over something as stupid as a car acessory.
Old 08-05-05, 11:46 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Hell yeah!
Old 08-06-05, 06:50 AM
SCandilous
Pole Position

just my personal opinion, i think body kits are ugly. not only do i have to look at every civic with one, now there are going to be lexus's with them now too? spend less time on making the car look fast and more time making it fast.
Old 08-06-05, 07:21 AM
Gamer
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SCandilous
just my personal opinion, i think body kits are ugly. not only do i have to look at every civic with one, now there are going to be lexus's with them now too? spend less time on making the car look fast and more time making it fast.

Whats wrong with having both a good looking and fast car ...
Old 08-06-05, 07:32 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

I like the last one the best , but the red paint is my favourite.
Old 08-06-05, 07:51 AM
advan7
Pole Position

I like the red one minus the wing, still clean with a mean look to it.
Old 08-06-05, 09:44 AM
nasc300
Lead Lap

I'am against spoilers in any way. I just sold My mint 1994 alpine silver Supra with the complete Blitz kit. The blitz kit has the wing of all wings) It was also FAST, T-68 NA-T. I just think that a SC looks best with a more modest wing. Not one of those F&F things
Old 08-06-05, 12:25 PM
2JZ_SC300
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmm, those first cars are from www.king-buyer.co.jp ... i want the burgundy one

Quick Reply: Wild soarers