SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Modding my SC300. What should I do first?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-01, 01:06 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I just got my Lexus SC300. I was originally looking for a Toyota Supra TT, but I just saw this car and since no Toyota Supra for sale around here, I just couldn't resist... so, I got it. What should I mod first? Can you start with smaller things (ie. air filter) and tell me where I can get them.

L8tr

Z

PS. Also, just to let you know, I am planning on going single turbo way some day soon.
Old 07-05-01, 02:27 PM
mdfdsc300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto or 5-speed?

Welcome to the club. I have an auto and one of the first things I did was a tranny cooler upgrade in addition to the stock. Also before you do any mods, make sure your car is healthy and up on it's maintenance. If not, you'd be spending some $$ getting it to par...
Give us the specs of your car.
Old 07-05-01, 04:37 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey mdfdsc300......What exactly does a tranny cooler do and did ur upgrade help performance?
From what i have heard, I would get an intake and exhaust. go to Exhaust Horsepower/Sound Gains thread started by The lkon...i believe its in the Engine/Transmission Section.
Old 07-05-01, 08:11 PM
DIrEctQL

Question

My car is an auto. I think I will buy an air filter first, but I have a feeling my breaks will be the first things to be upgraded. I don't know, I think they're falling apart. Make all kinds of noises when breaking. I took the wheels off and it seems they're fine and brake pads aren't even half gone. Would any local SC300 owners be interested in checking out my car? Mini-meet?
Old 07-06-01, 06:14 AM
mdfdsc300
Pole Position

Default tranny cooler

MyLexus,
the tranny cooler is a heat sink that is attached in series with the stock cooler. Yes, you actually have a stock tranny cooler which runs through a section of the radiator. I bought a B&M Supercooler which I hooked up AFTER the stock unit. It provides additional cooling to the ATF as extra insurance against transmission fluid breakdown and ultimately tranny problems. Apparantly, the major cause of tranny failure is heat breaking down the tranny fluid.
I have a tranny cooler installed on all my vehicles: 2000 Chevy C5, 2000 Chevy Tahoe 4x4, 1995 Infiniti Q45t. BTW, all are modified to run harder. IMHO, for the $55 or so, it's cheap insurance against a tranny breakdown.
DlrEtc,
the brakes are relativelt easy to inspect on the SC's. Two bolts (10 mm?) are all that is holding the calipers. If it hasn't been done in awhile, you might have to use some elbow grease to break it loose, but it is very easy to change. In my experience, the OEM ones are the best for street use. No squeaks, no excessive dust, and your rotors don't get eaten up.
good luck!
Old 07-06-01, 07:34 AM
DIrEctQL

Yup, that's what I mean by taking off the wheels. They weren't even half gone. I think I will get aftermarket performance pads if I do replace the pads. The current ones are kind of suspicious to me. Can you point me in the right direction of the tranny cooler? Also will a K&N Supra air filter work with SC300? Thanks.

Z
Old 07-06-01, 08:40 AM
mdfdsc300
Pole Position

Thumbs up tranny cooler

I used the B&M Supercooler, from JEGS. It has dimensions around 7"x11"x3/4", very lightweight and provides ample cooling for vehicles up to 19,000 GVWR. There is ample room for one bigger/thicker, but I bought this one before scoping out the engine bay. Anyways, there are two factory-tapped holes on the bottom driver's side of the ac condensor. That's where I attached mine, and with the hoses attached, it is a good, rigid mount. It sits right behind the grill opening of the nose closer to the driver's side. When you install this, it is a good time to change the tranny fluid as well. We actually had a large container of new ATF hooked up to the incoming line and an empty container hooked up to the outgoing line and ran the engine on the lift. This "pumps out the old and sucks in the new without fear of flushing fragments onto the tranny and causing problems.
Not sure about the K&N fitment from the Supra. I have a custom cold-air box that 933005spd had built and offered on the club as well as a MAF adaptor from custom images and a cone filter element. I was surprised at what a difference this set-up made to an otherwise stock car. Other mods are a polished strut bar and Tokico struts w/ 17" Fitti's on 235/45/17 Firehawk SZ50s. I noticed you're from Carpentersville. I'm in Naperville. There are a handful of us in the area (check out my post "Choland SC owners unite" or something like that). Perhaps we'll arrange a get together sometime before the end of summer.
good luck!
Old 07-06-01, 08:55 AM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mdfd ......What brand strut bar do u have? I'm thinking about getting my parents to get me a Cusco strut bar for a 93-98 Supra for my b-day in Aug. Also, where did u get urs and did u have to buy spacers,etc. to make it fit?
DIrEct....I think a lot of people here have gotten the 93-98 Supra TT brake upgrade. They say it costs around $1000. Look at some of the older but recent posts. Also, K&N does make a drop in filter for the SC. I owuld get this unless u r getting some type of deal on the Supra one. Just go to ur local AutoZone type auto store that sells K&N products and they should have a book w/ the product # for every air filter. They should be able to order it for u for around $32.
Old 07-06-01, 09:43 AM
mdfdsc300
Pole Position

Default strutbrace

I bought mine from Motorsports warehouse, which I raved about initially. To be honest, I tried buying some stuff from them recently and was totally turned off by the service I got. I had to answer 20 questions before I could talk to Dayle, the guy I originally bought stuff from. I finally gave up because Rico, or Tido, or someone refused to let me talk to Dayle and priced out something ridiculously expensive, almost as to try and turn my business away. Well, you don't have to hit me over the head twice! I got so turned off I just said forget it. Don't mean this as a flame as I know he reads this forum once in a while, just relaying my experience. Others I'm sure are quite happy with them.
I'm not sure what brand the brace is that I got, but it required no spacers/washers. It is adjustable, and I had to lower it as well as rotate the bar towards the front slightly for proper clearance. Just do a search, I believe the prices are comparable.
good luck.
Old 07-06-01, 10:37 AM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by MyLexusSC300
mdfd ......What brand strut bar do u have? I'm thinking about getting my parents to get me a Cusco strut bar for a 93-98 Supra for my b-day in Aug. Also, where did u get urs and did u have to buy spacers,etc. to make it fit?
DIrEct....I think a lot of people here have gotten the 93-98 Supra TT brake upgrade. They say it costs around $1000. Look at some of the older but recent posts. Also, K&N does make a drop in filter for the SC. I owuld get this unless u r getting some type of deal on the Supra one. Just go to ur local AutoZone type auto store that sells K&N products and they should have a book w/ the product # for every air filter. They should be able to order it for u for around $32.
I already ordered K&N air filter and the automatic transmition supercooler. Total price was around 115 bucks I think. I am not sure if the K&N was specally for SC300. I have a feeling it's same ones as for Supra, after all, the setup kind of looks like a Supra (I know it has the same engine).

Any pointers about installing the transmition cooler? I am not sure yet, but I think I will just get rid of the current one and put this new one on. My friend said we don't really need it since we're not running high HP, but hey, I plan to build up this N/A and go the single turbo way in few months.

I will go now and drool all over the bremo breaks.

Z
Old 07-06-01, 04:04 PM
mdfdsc300
Pole Position

Default dlr - your stock tranny cooler should be used

not sure why you would get rid of your stock tranny cooler as it is already integrated with your stock radiator (they are both one unit). You probably don't want to bypass the stock tranny cooler since it doesn't help any to do so. In fact, B&M recommends you retain the use of your stock tranny cooler as the primary and their Supercooler as add'l cooling in series after the oem.
If you want to check out my Supercooler install, PM me and perhaps we can meet somewhere.
Old 07-07-01, 02:54 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default mdfdsc300 - questions about transmission coolers

mdfdsc300 and anyone else,

I have read about this type of mod before and think it'll be cheap insurance. Do you have any pics of your installed SuperCooler? Also, in one of your posts you mention that there's enough room for a bigger than 19,000 GVW cooler, but would a little bigger cooler make any real wold difference (i.e. is the 19,000 one big enough)? I would like to do the same type of mod to my SC400 but I nothing about these type of coolers, are there any other types or brands I should look into?

Thanks in advance,
Overclocker

PS, CarParts.com seems to have the best price on the 19,000 GVW unit and they even have a 20% coupon until July 15.
Old 07-08-01, 09:05 PM
DIrEctQL

Default Re: mdfdsc300 - questions about transmission coolers

Originally posted by Overclocker
mdfdsc300 and anyone else,

I have read about this type of mod before and think it'll be cheap insurance. Do you have any pics of your installed SuperCooler? Also, in one of your posts you mention that there's enough room for a bigger than 19,000 GVW cooler, but would a little bigger cooler make any real wold difference (i.e. is the 19,000 one big enough)? I would like to do the same type of mod to my SC400 but I nothing about these type of coolers, are there any other types or brands I should look into?

Thanks in advance,
Overclocker

PS, CarParts.com seems to have the best price on the 19,000 GVW unit and they even have a 20% coupon until July 15.
Heh. I ordered the 24000 super cooler. Hopefully it will fit. When I get it and figure out how to install it I will post pictures and directions. How about that?