SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

My car was just backed into!!! At home!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-05, 03:38 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My car was just backed into!!! At home!!!

Well I parked my car not in my usual spot because i was unloading stuff earlier out of the back. My dad goes to leave, just backs the f&ck into my car and here's the aftermath. Whats the cost to fix stuff like this...

Old 08-14-05, 03:44 PM
advan7
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OMG! Been there done that! Sorry to hear about the car. You'll probably have to replace the left rear quarter panel, antenna and maybe bang out whatever else go bent out of place. Or have them try to bang that quarter panel from the inside as best as they can and bondo it. Pricewise? I'm not too sure, but if you know someone it's an opportunity for a paint job and kit lol.
Old 08-14-05, 03:45 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

it all depends:

- bondo - cheap: $300
- replace the quarter: parts and labor will be around 1K
Old 08-14-05, 04:50 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Well luckily my dad is nice enough to tell me to go get an estimate tomorrow and get it fixed as soon as i can, and if they can take it in now then he'll give me his car while he's out of town. I'll post the estimates and what they tell me they'll do so I can make the best decision (also best cost effective decision)
Old 08-14-05, 04:54 PM
pilip99
Lexus Test Driver

oh dang man, yeah i would go with bondo, or go to a shop if your in dire need of getting it done a little quicker
Old 08-14-05, 05:00 PM
blksc300mt
Driver

ahhh man sorry to see that...it hurts to look at it ....ive had it happen to me with a different car too...but luckily it was the front fender and i just changed it with a new part. i would say if you can get your dad to pay for it...go for the new quarter panel...and around 1k sounds right...itll never be the same if they bondo it.
Old 08-14-05, 08:54 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Well my dad said he will pay for it, but I don't want to find the most expensive place possible, after all he is laying out 20k for college for me this year. I'll see what the places say tomorrow.
Old 08-14-05, 08:56 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

That's too bad sorry to hear that, it's painful to see that pic
Old 08-14-05, 09:23 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 365 Likes on 251 Posts

Was your trunk lid crunched at all? Or was this isolated to the quarter only? I'd check the taillight bulbs too on that side, sometimes a jolt like that can crack or break the bulb. Just a thought, hope everything works out!
Old 08-14-05, 09:59 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

Lol, i understand he is paying for college, but that doesn't mean he get's to take his frustrations of how much you are costing him out on your car

give him an estimate from the stealer and watch his face drop, THEN give him an estimate from the person you intend to actually use .......yeah, my family is sadistic like that.
Old 08-15-05, 06:55 AM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Originally Posted by NYLexSC
Was your trunk lid crunched at all? Or was this isolated to the quarter only? I'd check the taillight bulbs too on that side, sometimes a jolt like that can crack or break the bulb. Just a thought, hope everything works out!

Nope just the rear quarter panel. It didn't get the tailight or anything although it was close. Might have been nice to have an excuse to switch to 97 tails but at least the only thing that was damaged was the quarter panel....and my antenna's a bit crooked coming out, but it still goes up and down perfectly lol.
Old 08-15-05, 07:45 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Lol, i understand he is paying for college, but that doesn't mean he get's to take his frustrations of how much you are costing him out on your car

give him an estimate from the stealer and watch his face drop, THEN give him an estimate from the person you intend to actually use .......yeah, my family is sadistic like that.

Heck, if you're worried about the cash issue.............that's what automobile insurance is for!!! Of course increased rates there are a downside. Regardless, had your father backed out and hit, lets say, a neighbors car, he would be shelling out the cash there anyway! He should be responsible for the damage done to your car, just as you should be had you hit his.
Old 08-15-05, 10:02 AM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Okay got 3 estimates today, the first one is by the place reccomended by Lexus, its $1550 and they want to pull the dent out and patch it and stuff.

The 2nd place is just another one by me and its $1450 same thing, just pull it out and patch, they said the quarterpanel might need to be replaced.

The 3rd place said they need to replace the whole quarterpanel and it would be $2300 for everything.

My dads going to go through insurance mainly because my mom is making him, but I'm voting for the last option just so I don't have tons of bondo all over my car. He also said it would be about $2200 to repaint the rest of my car while it was in there, $2500 if I did it another time. Thats with pulling out all the windows and taking the bumpers off and such to repaint it to factory specs. My dad mentioned he might go ahead and get that done since he feels so bad about hitting it.
Old 08-15-05, 10:09 AM
mikevogel
Pole Position

free paint job
Old 08-15-05, 10:10 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 365 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by TMaxxTim
Okay got 3 estimates today, the first one is by the place reccomended by Lexus, its $1550 and they want to pull the dent out and patch it and stuff.

The 2nd place is just another one by me and its $1450 same thing, just pull it out and patch, they said the quarterpanel might need to be replaced.

The 3rd place said they need to replace the whole quarterpanel and it would be $2300 for everything.

My dads going to go through insurance mainly because my mom is making him, but I'm voting for the last option just so I don't have tons of bondo all over my car. He also said it would be about $2200 to repaint the rest of my car while it was in there, $2500 if I did it another time. Thats with pulling out all the windows and taking the bumpers off and such to repaint it to factory specs. My dad mentioned he might go ahead and get that done since he feels so bad about hitting it.
Time to pick better looking black than Onyx

Quick Reply: My car was just backed into!!! At home!!!