SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

ac light and stereo installation status

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-01, 09:15 AM
new to lexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sup guys,

One suggestion for all of you...NEVER BUY FARENHEIT AMPS. I finally hooked them up and they really really sucked. If anybody wants details I wouldn't mind explaining but my experience with them was bad. Although I have talked to a few other people who have had them in their cars and said they worked fine so maybe mine was defective? I don't know...I don't care.

I went back to the place I bought them and the guy was pretty cool about it. He gave me the FULL AMOUNT that I paid back (but only in credit ) I wanted to buy some Rockford Fosgate amps but unfortunately he said he ran out on Sunday. So I had to settle for less. I ended up getting 2 Crunch 4004. My requirement for choosing an amp was that in the specs it was rated at 12.6V with all channels simultaneously and that at 2ohms the power almost doubled. In my opinion, those are signs of a good amp. These do...I am very happy with my selection and the car bumps like no tomorrow!

My problem, however, arose when I decided to go for a joyride last night since I got my new sound system in (everything is still loose, haven't closed up the car yet).

The Air Condioner backlight isn't working!!! :eek: I'm talking about the LCD? light that lights the screen which displays the temperature etc. It really is a pain not to be able to see any of that at night.

I think I remember seeing a post about it somewhere but I just spent about 2 hours searching for it, and can't find it. If anybody knows how to change/fix that light or can find that post I would appreciate it greatly!

Thanx guys
Praying for the light,
Kamil
Old 07-06-01, 09:23 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got the same sorta thing...only the right side light is out on my climate control panel. The left and center still work, so it looks really bad at night having one part out.

SR
Old 07-06-01, 10:16 AM
new to lexus
Rookie

i've been reading lots of posts.
it seems that if you have black writing, pictures, etc still visible and only the green illumination is gone, you can open up the ac unit and replace the soldered bulbs inside. A project I must admit, but it makes soooo much of a difference.

If you do not even see your black writing and pictures, then unfortunately it seems that you have a leaky LCD and need to have that replaced. There were a lot of good links for cheap places to have that done off the edmund's forum. (cheapest was $200 for rebuilt). I'll find it again if anybody needs to do that.

Either tonight or tomorow, I'm going to attempt to replace the green backlight bulbs...I really hope it works and I don't mess anything else up! I'll let you guys know if it worked or not.

If anybody has taken apart the AC unit b4, I wouldn't mind some assistance )

Kamil

p.s. If it works, how bout putting in blue or red or indigo lights? hehe
Old 07-06-01, 01:20 PM
TonyN
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 82 Posts

pLEASE POST SOME PICTURE AND INSTRUCTION DURING YOUR ATTEMPT. I ALSO HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM, IT'S A PAIN IN THE A$$.
THANKS YOU
TONY
Old 07-06-01, 02:55 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HOLD ON GUYS

u might want to try this first. pull out the panel that controls the backlighting just under the speedometer,etc. Look to see if that is connected b/c when i took my instrument cluster out the 1st time, i forgot to connect that and when i turned my lights on, the backlighting to the radio,temp.,etc. went out. For a detailed way to do this, go to my post "Light Bulbs in the Instrument Cluster"
Old 07-06-01, 03:33 PM
TonyN
Instructor

thanks dude. on hot days i can see the number, so i think the back lighting is just out. also other bottons are out too.
thanks for the info..
tony
p.s. you da MAnn...
Old 07-06-01, 08:07 PM
new to lexus
Rookie

MyLexusSC300,

I appreciate the suggestion, however, I never touched any part of the instrument cluster (although my gauges have been flickering for awhile but from what I gather, there is nothing I can do about that?). Could it have gotten disconnected by me just removing the stereo head unit? Also the lighting on the radio works fine, just the lighting on the ac controls went out. I will however check it out...never know, might get lucky! :eek:

Last edited by new to lexus; 07-06-01 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07-06-01, 08:26 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

hmmmmmmmm when it happened to me, both temp and radio went out. It shouldn't have come loose when u removed the stero head unit. It may have just gotten knowcked loose somehow, but it should only take about 1-2 min. of ur time to check so.....
If u find out what the prob. is, let us know so if it happens to us we know what to do
Lata
Old 07-07-01, 12:41 AM
new to lexus
Rookie

Default AC LCD SUCCESS! I hope...

Ok, so after an hour of super careful disassembly, my entire air conditioning control unit is in many pieces. There are quite a few layers to go through before you can finally get to the lcd screen and the bulbs that light it. Unfortunately they are saudered in and the lcd screen is kind of in the way...but another half hour of work or so should do the trick.

I am going to go tomorrow to a lexus dealer to pick up the bulbs. I hope to god they have them in stock! I also took pictures along the way. When I am done, I will post step by step instructions, the pictures, and the bulb part #s. Look for it in a new post either Sunday or Monday.

Wish me Luck!

Kamil
Old 07-07-01, 08:29 AM
tek619

Did you bother checking the fuses first?
Did all your functions of the a/c system work?
Old 07-07-01, 11:01 AM
TonyN
Instructor

GOOD luck new to lexus..
i need your help and i hope it goes right.. thanks for the info.. i will atempt it if all goes well with you..
tony
Old 07-07-01, 05:18 PM
new to lexus
Rookie

tek619,
I have all too much experience with not checking fuses first! lol. I have learned the valuable lesson of fuses long ago and now check every fuse before anything else. Even bought one of those convenient little fuse checkers which I also used to check each light bulb.

Out of the 10 or so bulbs in the unit, the front 3 and one back one were burnt out. I have ordered them from the dealer and they will be arriving on Tuesday.

Yes, every function of the A/C system worked plus not all of the lights were out.

LS400in520,
Thank you for the Good Luck. Hopefully all goes well. I will give you whatever help I can assuming it works.

To all who are interested,
Look for an updated post with step by step on Wednesday (assuming the dealer actually gets the bulbs on Tuesday)

Kamil

p.s. Maybe I should change my handle, haha, I don't really consider myself so new to lexus anymore!
Old 07-07-01, 06:11 PM
London Bill
Lead Lap

Hi Guys,

Does anyone think it would be possible to change the aircon display to black over orange by changing the bulbs, that would be so cool to match my Becker CD display ?
Old 07-07-01, 07:40 PM
new to lexus
Rookie

London Bill,

Yes, you can do that.
The black is going to be black no matter what you do - unless you have a lcd unit custom built with the designs we have which I'm sure would cost a pretty penny.

But the background illumination - the bulbs are all the same, in fact, you don't even need to buy new bulbs. The bulbs back there are clear bulbs with plastic caps over them. Mine are blue caps, all you need to do is change the caps. At the dealer I asked what other colors they had, they said blue or green. I was thinking about buying different color caps, but to tell you the truth, I can't think of a cooler color than blue!

Anyways, to change the caps you will have to go through every step (of the steps I post in a couple days) except for the last one (desaudering the bulbs from the pc board) although I recommend changing the bulbs while you're back there anyways.

Kudos!
Kamil
Old 07-07-01, 10:21 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

hey new to lexus, which dealer did you go to? Also how much were the bulbs and bulb sleeves?

Quick Reply: ac light and stereo installation status