where should i put back tweeters?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-01, 12:51 AM
new to lexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sup guys

i bought two sets of jbl 4" components.
i already installed the ones in the front (They sound great). They do sound better when I take the factory screen off but then they look ugly...I'm thinking of modifying that screen (cutting off the padding in the back and making more holes or even cutting off the plastic but leaving the covering cloth)

For the back speakers though...The mids I'm replacing the stocks but where should I put the tweeters? Any suggestions? I would like to mount them in such a way that they shoot the sound outside the car because the fronts are already more than I can handle! And also because a lot of time bumping my system will be spent parked "kickin" it with people outside and around the car.

I would appreciate any suggestions!

Thanx
Kamil
Old 07-07-01, 06:16 PM
London Bill
Lead Lap

I would not bother with rear high range (tweeters) as they will probably kill the front sound stage.
Old 07-07-01, 07:47 PM
new to lexus
Rookie

Well I already bought the set.
I agree with you about the sound stage.
But right now there is sooooo much bass coming from the box it kind of kills it anyways. I think that by putting in the back speakers it will provide a buffer and smoothen amount the stage to more of a surround type of environment.

I do plan on setting the level (on the amp) much lower for the rear speakers than the fronts so most of the sound will continue to come from the front but the back will supplement the stage. Now if I could only decide where to mount them...maybe I'll just let them dangle and aim them wherever I feel like having the sound that day. Or use them as a sonic weapon and aim them at peoples' ears to make them go deaf. hehehe

Kamil

Old 07-07-01, 10:02 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes I've designed many systems, and I've not really found a need for rear tweeters.

Sell them or keep them for backups when you blow up your fronts.
Old 07-08-01, 01:34 AM
London Bill
Lead Lap

Kamil;

there was a thread a little while back on speaker fittment, your approach to this subject is wrong, "Bass" is not really directional but "mid-bass" upwards is. You should really be looking to improve the front setup with better and/or bigger front system, you can get 5" or 6.5" in the front doors with a bit of work, this will then give you more leeway on the power for the rears.

Rear mounted tweeters on the deck will sound stronger than the fronts (like for like wth tweeter and power), if you actually want stereo from your driving position this will force you to reduce the front/rear power balance.

Rear fill would ideally be in mono with nothing except the low bass being stronger than what the front system can produce.