SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Ethans SC300 - Sound Performance

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-01, 07:22 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

hey guys, i was just on Supra Forums and i saw that ethans SC was dyno'd at 662RWHP and 580TQ, it was Sound Performance who made the post on supra forums, and hes a member here as well so i'll let him give you the full scoop, just wanted to let you know.
Old 07-10-01, 06:58 AM
mdfdsc300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

yeah, that's pretty impressive. I saw the car when they were working on it. That's some major work....
Old 07-10-01, 07:02 AM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by LexusRules
hey guys, i was just on Supra Forums and i saw that ethans SC was dyno'd at 662RWHP and 580TQ, it was Sound Performance who made the post on supra forums, and hes a member here as well so i'll let him give you the full scoop, just wanted to let you know.
LOL. Yes, sound performance is well known for their awesome Supras. I will prolly go there go get my car turboed. I belive the T04e turbo kit costs around 5,000 bucks and the labor would be 2,000 bucks at most. This includes IC, fuel system, turbo, and exchaust (???). Check out www.suprastore.com for more details about the turbo kit. This kit is the same one that was designed for turboing an N/A Supra.

Z
Old 07-10-01, 08:22 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

i woldnt reccommend the kit of suprastore.com..its an f-max kit which is a really sh-tty kit,......i reccommend toyomotos kit...for 5500 and you get evrything you need for turbo....including a cast manifold and high quality pipes..the manifold on the f-max allways cracks and warps and the pipes are crap....Jeff
Old 07-10-01, 07:48 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by SC300TURBO
i woldnt reccommend the kit of suprastore.com..its an f-max kit which is a really sh-tty kit,......i reccommend toyomotos kit...for 5500 and you get evrything you need for turbo....including a cast manifold and high quality pipes..the manifold on the f-max allways cracks and warps and the pipes are crap....Jeff
Interesting. I didn't know that, but I will look into it. Now, do you how well the tranny would take the engine with the turbo kit? Would I go trough trannies like there is no tomorow or would it be alright?
Old 07-11-01, 04:38 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But the f-max does include a lower compression head gasket, which makes for more room to boost!

SR
Old 07-11-01, 10:13 AM
soarer 300
Lead Lap

Default E's car...

The 662 rwhp is still "low" from what we were hoping for. His TC is still not locking up on the dyno and he is not able to hold as much boost and put down the big numbers.

Just last week, his TC gave out at the track and he had to take the car back up to SP in Chicago. It should be done in the next few days. With his new TC and tranny, it should run like a dream and hold those extra 5 pounds it never did.

As far as his setup goes:
[*]Custom HKS Tubular Equallength manifold (first in the world on an N/A)[*]SP63 Turbo[*]150 shot direct port NOS[*]Built motor, JE/Crower 8.5:1 compression[*]Mild headwork[*]Speed Pro Engine Mgmt. [*]Sound Performance transmission

He has full audio and video in the car which I consider REALLY cool because when he's not racing, I play FIFA 2001...

SP did all the work on this car. SP is the best, and will always be the best.
Old 07-12-01, 12:20 PM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

im warning you now about fmax...and higher boost means you need bigger fuel and alot more becomes involved...if you want a very quick street car i reccommend tooymoto stage 1 with a 10psi of boost and you can have a 12sec car.....also if you ever want to upgrade toyomoto can just add on to your existing kit and get more hp.....about SP being the best...i agree there very good...and im impressed with what they do...but who is the best is a matter of opinion.. Jeff
Old 07-12-01, 01:50 PM
Speedwerkz

Default Ethan's SC300

Just for your info. Sound Performance did not do all the work on the car. The motor was not built by them FYI

I know who built it...... ME
Old 07-12-01, 05:38 PM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

Default hmmm.

I wouldn't be claiming to build my motor, because whoever did it did an absolutely TERRIBLE job. It is WAY over bored and as a result has VERY audible piston slap and sounds like ***. Also, whoever did the head at the same time did a **** poor job as well. When they shimmed the head they used ALL the same size shims, and also forgot to put a baffle back into the valve cover, causing the breather to spew oil. Also, the other baffle didn't even have all the screws in it! There was also something else wrong with the head but I can't recall what it was.

We are planning on rebuilding the motor this winter to fix these problems because we don't expect this motor to last very long because of it.

Are you Norwood? That is who I was TOLD built the motor, and I was VERY surprised at how poorly the build was because I had never heard anything but wonderful things about Norwoods shop.

The motor build is actually the only thing on the car that is currently sub par, and as a result is going to cost me about another $7500+ this winter in parts and labor (if the motor lasts until this winter).

-Ethan

Last edited by Ebanks; 07-12-01 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-12-01, 05:48 PM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

Also, here is a copy of a post I made a couple of weeks ago with links to some videos:

"

Here are some clips of my Lexus.

All the are with no nitrous, and also only running 25-26psi. We weren't able to run any higher boost because my plugs are totally shot, and we didn't have a chance to change them out before these videos. You can even see the car breaking up up top. The best pass here was an 11.5, and you can see me hit my brakes before the win light comes on... It should have been like an 11.3.

We have the new plugs now, so in a couple of weeks we should have some mid low tens on drag radials on camera for you

www.z32.org/unsorted/run1...camaro.asf

www.z32.org/unsorted/run2...ustang.asf

www.z32.org/unsorted/run3...0vette.asf

www.z32.org/unsorted/run4...0queen.asf

www.z32.org/unsorted/run5...0traps.asf

www.z32.org/unsorted/run6...20boot.asf

This last one is me beating a newer mustang with a ton of bolt ons at the street races. He made the statement he would never lose to an import, so I continued to beat him by 15+ cars on medium boost and no NOS Maybe next time he won't be so close minded

www.z32.org/unsorted/Slow-fo1.asf

-Ethan

"

-Ethan
Old 07-12-01, 06:12 PM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

Another thing I just remembered was that all the cam caps on the exhaust side of the head we backwards.

So who built this motor?

-Ethan
Old 07-12-01, 11:12 PM
relapse
Rookie

don't shake the bleachers.
Old 07-13-01, 12:24 AM
soarer 300
Lead Lap

that was me bickering...
Old 07-13-01, 09:40 AM
lxxxs
Driver

hey ethan would ya mind e-mailing me, i talked to larry at sp and he told me about ur car. i just had my engine built and would like toknow some things about ur setup.
u can get me at beniceandswallow@yahoo.com
thanx alot
Jc

Quick Reply: Ethans SC300 - Sound Performance