SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

TV's in the headrests

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-01, 05:02 PM
rhart00
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I decided that I am going to get TVs in the headrests of my SC400. I know it is kind of pointless since the backseats are cramped and people don't like to sit back there but I still want them. They will probably end up being more for looks and bragging rights but I still want some that aren't too ****ty. Any ideas on a good quality quality TV screen that could go in the headrest and doesn't cost a whole lot (since they won't be used much)? Thanks
Ryan
Old 07-10-01, 06:42 PM
vj604
Driver

how about you just get one in the visor in the front seat? still pretty poinless but hey, you might be able to use it sometime....
Old 07-10-01, 06:52 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO...i had one of the best setups. I was planning to get the monitor/TV in the glove box (along w/ whatever else i could put in there), and then have a playstation, VCR, DVD, TV tuner, and whatever else i needed to be able to watch reg. television in the trunk in a fairly fancy looking setup. However, I came to my senses and decided not to get any of this b/c I like to race my SC and i didn't need all that weight, plus not many people (3 is the most i have had in my car at one) ride in my car. The only plus to having all this was so my HOT gf and I could go out and watch a movie in my car by ourselves, and to show it off.
I would recommend looking into my setup b/c I think the glovebox setup would look awsome.
Also, I am not talking about what that person did in the gallery by having the TV molded INTO the outside of the glovebox. I mean that u would have to open it to see the monitor. The plus of having to open the glovebox, is that it is hidden from view and the sun. People that could see the monitor in the headrest,etc. could just steal them a lot easier, than if they looked in and didnt see anything. However, I was going to get TV's in the headrests in our 4Runner b/c i thought that was going to be my 1st car.
Old 07-10-01, 07:04 PM
rhart00
Pole Position

I have seen pics of a TV mounted in the glovebox but right now I have (actually had) the playstation 2 custom mounted in the glovebox you I could change games without getting out of the car. Almost all of my stereo and video stuff in my car has been removed because I am in the process of redoing the whole system. I just thought of an idea while reading your post. A big a$$ motorized screen (like 11 or 15" or something) that came out of the glovebox when you opened it would be hot. But I already have a screen for the front seats and I don't want to lose the playstation 2.
Old 07-10-01, 07:46 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Ryan

I'm getting ready to put some 4" Mobile Authority screens in the back of each headrest...I'll be doing it within the next few weeks on the weekend. What part of Raleigh you in? I'm in Apex/Cary. You can come and help put them in if you want. They only cost $90 a piece off eBay, brand new, and they're on there all the time. They're going to run off my Alpine CVA-1005

And actually if you want to see how to rip most of the car apart, I'll be doing that over the next couple weeks. I've got lowering springs, strut bar, supercharger, redoing leather, pulling all interior for custom stereo install, a couple JL Audio W3's in the spare tire well, amps flush mounted on the walls of the trunk...etc...etc...etc. I've got a LARGE list of stuff to do.

I just got my MB Quart Q's installed tonight, they sound AWESOME! I installed them in the factory places in the doors....you can't even tell that they're in there, until you turn on the stereo

I took pics of the entire process, so I'll post those on my website in a few days. I had to enlarge the speaker holes, put in crossovers, the whole deal, and I made it all fit factory.

SR
Old 07-11-01, 09:57 AM
importtoys
Pole Position

Im a big freak for that kind of stuf!!! be sure to post a pic in the gallery when you guys get done....... My car is almost finished for Hot Import Nights in Seattle.We are working on 3 cars for the show so i havent seen much of the Lex in the past few days ......... i'll post a link when we get it done.
~IT
Old 07-11-01, 01:23 PM
TonyN
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 82 Posts

the computer wiz, where did you find the screen for $90? where was it under or do you have the link or something? when you recieve it was it all that you expected?
thanks for the info
tony
Old 07-11-01, 02:39 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...=205-050&DID=7

There's where they sell them on their site for $99, but they also have constant auctions on eBay, and I've seen them go for as low at $77. Usually around $90 tho.

They're just screens with RCA inputs, and they're made for putting in headrests....dash boards....etc. Great quality tho!

They're actually made by Modile Authority, which is Matsu****a Japan.

SR
Old 07-12-01, 08:43 AM
hoops_24
Pole Position

Can you add dvd capabilities and keep the stock stereo or do you have to get rid of it. I want to put a small tv screen where my glove box is and add navigation and DVD playback, but I don't want to take out the stock stereo to do it. I want to keep the clean factory look. Any ideas??
Old 07-12-01, 09:43 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

You could use an FM modulator to play the DVD/TV/VCP/whatever sounds across your factory head unit. Then it is possible to wire into the existing audio out from the factory stereo to run external amps, so you could put better speakers, amps, sub, etc.

SR
Old 07-12-01, 11:58 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

heres what i did with my sc300...tell me what ya think
http://overboost.com/pix.asp?image=..../art330102.jpg

http://overboost.com/pix.asp?image=..../art330105.jpg

jeff
Old 07-12-01, 04:08 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

I've seen those pics before...NICE setup! Damn those A/C vents that crack, 'eh?

SR