SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Replacing the center armrest

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-05, 06:01 AM
arunp1783
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing the center armrest

I have a 97 SC and I would like to change out the center armrest with that of say a 99 or 2000. For the obvious reason, a bit more room, better cup holders and my SC has the old analog car phone, which hasn't been used since the day I bought the car.

I've seen a couple of posts out there for people who have made some minor adjustments to the center armrest - but has anyone out there actually replaced the center armrest with newer one?
Old 09-08-05, 07:50 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can replace the armrest (which is also the cover to the center console storage) but it would be the exact same size. There are no options for replacing with something larger, unless you built a completely custom center console. Remember, the armrest unit is part of the entire center console, which stretches all the way up the dash and encompasses the radio and climate controls!
Old 09-08-05, 07:58 AM
arunp1783
Driver School Candidate

Default Maybe I worded this incorrectly

As I recall - the 99 and 2000 model SCs had a slightly different center concole storage, it seemed a bit taller with additional storage and cup holders (ok I maybe hung up on the cup holder thing). I believe the 99/2000's had the center storage + the armrest (with some additonal storage for like sunglasses and a garage door opener.

Whereas the 97 only had the center storage - with the arm rest
Old 09-08-05, 08:03 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

That could be. I honestly don't know myself. Either way though, it would entail replacing the entire center console. Then the issue would be if the automatic shift **** will fit since the 98+ used the gated shifter, so I'm unsure if they cutout is the same shape.
Old 09-08-05, 08:39 AM
arunp1783
Driver School Candidate

Talking

Well so much for that idea - I guess I'll just have to settle for removing the phone - the damn thing is archaic compared to today's standards - oh well you can't have everything

hey - on a side note - how does one put up the profile fo their car as well as the photo of your car, and what do tags (Lexus Test Driver, Pole Position, Driving School Candidate, etc... refer to? Is it the number of posts)
Old 09-08-05, 08:43 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Originally Posted by arunp1783
Well so much for that idea - I guess I'll just have to settle for removing the phone - the damn thing is archaic compared to today's standards - oh well you can't have everything

hey - on a side note - how does one put up the profile fo their car as well as the photo of your car, and what do tags (Lexus Test Driver, Pole Position, Driving School Candidate, etc... refer to? Is it the number of posts)

Yeah, remove the phone. That's what I did.
The profile can be changed via the "TOOLS" tab at the top of every page. From there select edit profile. Once on the profile screen there is a control panel to the left. Edit signature is where you would enter info to appear at the bottom of each post.

Oh, BTW, the title under your screenname is based on the number of your posts. It can also be changed by a mod. Members such as AmethySC has the title "CL news flasher" since he posts a lot of news stories in the clubhouse. And chicagoblacknazn has the title "Queer eye for the CL guy" since he, for obvious reasons, is very knowledgable in groomin habits and style and such and advises us "guys".

Last edited by mkorsu; 09-08-05 at 09:06 AM.