SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Driving in the rain?? Scary??

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-05, 04:22 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Driving in the rain?? Scary??

How does your guy's SC handle in the rain? I havent driven it in the rain and the way my car handles on wet pavement makes really really scared of driving in the rain.

Today, at Orange Coast College, the driveways were wet because of the construction going on. I made a left turn on the Farview Road from a stop behind a small SUV - I think its either a CRV or a RAV4. Needless to say I didnt turn that fast at all and suddenly the rear end broke loose right before I finished the turn, causing me to almost hit the island, and i tried to correct it by letting of the gas and turned it right. Luckily its a one lane turn so I didnt hit any cars to the right of me. It was suprising because the street was totally dry and the only spot that was wet is near the exit of the school

A while back, again from a parked stop, I made a right hand turn onto an on ramp slowly the the rear end broke loose because the tires were wet.

I have beem driving for a while (Im 21 now) and my first car was a 4 banger front wheel drive car with traction control. I took it through rainstorms on the freeway ALL the time and never really slipped at all. Are SC300s that bad in the rain? My SC has the stock 15in rim and fairly new cheap Goodyear tires. From what I have experienced so far at low speeds, driving this thing the rain would give me a nervous breakdown.
Old 09-13-05, 04:25 PM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car handles fine in the rain. Perhaps your inner tire is bald or very low on thread? I started sliding in the snow because of that.
Old 09-13-05, 04:27 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

The tires are almost new and entire car is stock for now.
Old 09-13-05, 04:33 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes, these cars can bite you in the **** if you're not careful in the wet. Especially in my case (or for anyone with FI going on), driving a turbo car in the wet without traction control is scary. I've gone sideways in the wet numerous times in my old Soarer (no TRC) but it wasn't too bad... just don't give it so much stick in the wet, and remember how heavy these cars are... once their sideways, their sideways.
Old 09-13-05, 04:46 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Yea im going to drive like a 90 year old grandma in the rain.
Old 09-13-05, 04:53 PM
sc.Fred
Instructor

yea same here.. before i had this car i used to drive a civic and i used to drive though the rain with no worries for the most part. i'm still getting used to driving a RR because i've been driving a FF since i've had a license.

and yes i drive safer when i'm in the rain... it's amazing how people still drive the same speed in the rain like they wood on dry land...
Old 09-13-05, 04:57 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

I've only really had a feel of driving 2 cars in the wet, both my old Soarer twin turbo and a Toyota Previa (manual w00t) and got the end out on both of them in the wet.
Old 09-13-05, 05:01 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

What kind of tires do you have? The only time my handling got bad was when there was an inch of snow on the ground and I was on Nitto's. I can't say I was driving though. It was more like sledding.
Old 09-13-05, 05:09 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

I've had Falken Ziex tyres on my old Soarer, 235/40 front and 255/35 rear. The Previa always has Dunlop tyres on it.

I didn't have too much trouble with cheapy Nankangs in the wet though, I was quite surprised that they handled better in the wet than Falken did (which sent me into a 360 going around a corner in the same condition and driving habits).
Old 09-13-05, 05:14 PM
SinisterSC
Lead Lap

I'm the ripe old age of 21 also and all I can say is that it takes practice. I started my driving career in a Z32 TT 5spd. Now that was something to learn on. When going from FWD, RWD and AWD there are of course different handling characteristics to each of them. I say just drive. Do it as much as you can. And as for the rain..... Good time to practice you're drift.
Old 09-13-05, 05:33 PM
advan7
Pole Position

Come to Florida, and you'll be a pro at driving in the rain in a matter of days. LOL
Old 09-13-05, 05:38 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You either need new tires/suspension or need to hone your driving skills. My SC handles fine in the rain, provided that you drive the speed limit and are careful in the turns. I have yet to lose control at all. (when not trying to, of course ) I tried taking a turn once at >30 mph that in dry weather would be dangerous and almost lost control once, in the wet. You just need to be reasonable with your expectations. It is, afterall, a fairly large, heavy car.

Scott
Old 09-13-05, 06:19 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 354 Likes on 244 Posts

I had my accident in the rain. Stupid *** rear-ended me and put me in a spin. I overcorrected and slammed a tree I've since learned how to drive my baby in wet and snowy conditions. Easy does it on the pedal and all is well. No sudden steering motions either.
Old 09-13-05, 06:25 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

You need to feather that throttle or get off the gas in the middle of the turn.
Old 09-13-05, 07:23 PM
RaynArt
Lexus Test Driver

been driving the sc300 for 3 1/2 years now in the rain and snow. tires make a huge difference in the car. i still have the car slide out on me once in a while in the rain but i try not to let off the throttle too quick otherwise i feel like the car has a bigger tendency to snap the other way. sometimes i kinda get on it even more if i feel it slip cause well...... its a habbit and i try and steer my way out.

only other cars i've had were a nissan sentra, jeep cherokee, 240sx (s14), and a 300zx turbo. i feel the sc does just fine in all these weather conditions as long as you take it easy and stay calm. biggest thing i think is just taking it easy in bad conditions, better be late than dead

Quick Reply: Driving in the rain?? Scary??