SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Tint Job From Hell!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-01, 02:38 PM
hoops_24
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took my Lex in today to get 32% bronze tint and I have some serious issues. The rear window has more bubbles than Pamela Anderson's bathtub and they tell me it's because the rear defroster wires are so thick. Is this true or is someone deserving of a size 14 to the lower flanges. They also said if I bring the car back in four days the heat will allow the tint to be layed down and the bubbles removed. Sounds like a bunch of crap.

Give me your thoughts please.
Old 07-13-01, 02:41 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Not buying the defroster lines being too thick story.

Sounds to me like you have a trip back to the installer in your future.

Keep those size 14s warmed up and ready to go.
Old 07-13-01, 04:25 PM
reLEXin247
Rookie

that lines too thick thing sounds like a cop out to me. I have my sc400 tinted with a one piece rear window. Mine is perfect with no bubbles of any kind. Sometimes the small bubbles will dry out and lay flat, but if you have alot, chances are they will not go away.
Old 07-13-01, 07:02 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hoops as a guy who use to be in the Tint industry and have got my hands messy in doing a few jobs what your installer is telling you is horse *****.. Small bubbles are to be expected but like reLEX said they will lay down for you when they get enough heat to dry out.. The defroser lines aren't any bigger than any other car but if they didn't squeegee from the center out between the defroster lines you leave too much moisture and air trapped.. If it looks bad just make them take it off just be careful they don't cut nick your defroster lines in the process then you really would have to get the size 14's out..

Hope that helps!
Old 07-13-01, 07:26 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the same sorta story about 3 weeks ago from the tint guy. I got 30% bronze tint. I said something about the defroster lines, and he said they're wider than most, and it would take a couple weeks for it to settle in. Well now you can't tell where the air pockets were.

When it was first done, down each piece of defroster line, on both sides, there was a large amount of air. After a couple weeks of HOT days, they're gone now. Maybe you should go back and ask someone else at the same tint place, and see what they say. I would say give it a couple weeks and see if it clears up, but that's just my opinion. THey gave you a lifetime warranty, right?

SR
Old 07-13-01, 08:15 PM
bradrulz
Driver School Candidate

Default My tint job came out perfect....

I got my windows tinted about a week after buying my car a few weeks ago....it came out perfect and couldn't wish for a better job.

The day I had it done the back window had air bubbles just as I was told....by morning every single one of them was gone. The job is so good it looks like it came from the factory that way.

The job is only as good as the installer. How much did you pay for the tint?? Mine was like $250
Old 07-13-01, 11:36 PM
lexstatic
Driver School Candidate

Had my windows completely redone 4 weeks ago. Same story about the de froster lines , had serious doubts about the bubbles going away ---- One week later it looked perfect. Relax and give it some time, if it doesn't work out you know what to do....... Lexstatic
Old 07-14-01, 01:24 AM
BertL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I had my SC300 tinted several years ago -- a single piece on the rear window. No problems -- and no permanent bubbles. I had a couple very minor ones during the first week, but they went away. Only thing remaining now is a great rear tinted window. If I look closely, it's apparent that the tint does not adhear right next to the defroster lines, but there is only a VERY small amount of space on either side -- less than half the thinkness of the defroster line itself, and completely unnoticable except when I'm the one doing the detailing. Good luck to you -- keep out those size 14s! I think you're going to need 'um.
Old 07-14-01, 08:16 AM
hoops_24
Pole Position

Thanks for all the posts. It seems like this is a commom problem and that I should wait it out and see what happens. I'll give it one week to clear up. After that, my 14's will be conducting free colon exams for the tint installers.

One more thing. Does the milky, cloudy, ****ty haze on the film go away also. How long?

Man do I feel better!
Old 07-14-01, 08:33 AM
bradrulz
Driver School Candidate

Default Haze goes away

Yes, the haze will go away. I live in Arizona so for me the haze was gone in one day or less since we get a nice heat to get rid of the bubbles in a day or less so I imagine the heat gets rid of the haze also.
Old 07-14-01, 09:58 AM
wolfy187
Pole Position

Default tints

I had my done in LA. i had it done at D2 in alhambra. quantum tint. NOT A SINGLE BUBBLE. no where from the time they laid it down to now. i would recommend them

The story about your wires is horse sh#t. they just don't want to take the time to do it right.

my 2 cents

Arthur
Old 07-14-01, 10:01 AM
wolfy187
Pole Position

Default tints

I had my tint done a few years ago. Quantum tint. done at d2 in alhambra. not a single bubble from the moment the tint went on to present day. I think the story about your wires being too thick is a pile of horse *****.

in my opinion you should go back there and have them do it right. DEMAND It

my 2 cents

Arthur
Old 07-14-01, 01:59 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey wolfy,how much was the tint at D2? Man when i went there about a couple of weeks ago they had a sweet *** M5 for $95,000 and also the hatchback gold veilside civic from fast and the furious was on sale.

How about the diamond bar/walnut area?

Last edited by LOTC; 07-15-01 at 05:17 PM.
Old 07-15-01, 11:00 AM
sxys_sc4
Rookie

Post BEST TINT SHOP IN SO. CAL

Genearch:

This is what I think THE BEST TINT SHOP in So. CAL:

SUNSHIELD GLASS TINTING
4704 Van Nuys Blvd
Sherman Oaks, CA 91403

Ask for HAMID. I got my car tinted as well the rest of our cars. Almost all cars that go there are LUXURY cars. They do a good job PLUS it's a lifetime warranty. ALSO, I paid $125! Although I did it a year ago, so the price might have gone up....
Old 07-16-01, 01:04 AM
SWEETSOUND2001
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I can also vouch for Sunshield...They tinted my Maxima and did a good job. I paid $160

Quick Reply: Tint Job From Hell!