SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

New Observation

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-05, 06:49 AM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's the damn drift craze that has everyone wanting to own a car like Ueno. All the ricers are getting into it and every other thread here now is "2JZ or 1JZ" swap. After reading so many of the same threads with 16 yr olds wanting to get rid of their civics or preludes and buying a SC300/400 for a swap, kinda makes you want to sell your car.

I hope that these 1JZ and 2JZ swaps stay uncommon for the SC cars so that the cops don't harass us like they do with the 240 crowd. A lot of you will tell me that "Don't worry, it's a Lexus. It won't happen." Well, that was said about my SR20 swap in my S13 when I did it 4 years ago before the damn drift craze and now look. Cops pulling over 240's everywhere, issuing state ref tickets! Pretty soon, SCs will be on the hit list.
Old 09-19-05, 07:22 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Xotic sC
2.5soarergt, its not just the popularity, its the people who buy the SC and the kind of modifications they do do their cars. Things dont look good from the way our image is going.
Originally Posted by xknowonex
So in the end, unless ur stuck with the crappy 15 inch rims like me, dont do much to it aestheticall until you have enough money to do it right. Rather than spending 1500 on some crappy generic wheels and tires off the import magazine, use that 1500 dollars to restore ur car mechanically or aesthetically.
Well said guys. And yes I've learnt as well. Nothing on my car is being put on unless I know of the brand and I haven't heard any (really bad) things about the company. E.g. I've never really heard of people complaining they ever had problems with Volk or Work wheels but plenty of problems with copy brands.

JMO, but I believe that modifications should reach a level of OEM standards if not better (I haven't seen OEM wheels ever getting cracked etc. in normal driving conditions, but there seems to be quite a bit of talk on copied wheels etc. with their structural properties and such). Yes I know that may be a bad way of thinking about things BUT that is the way I judge modifications.

These cars were expensive once upon a time (some of them still are lol), they deserve the best

Jose
Old 09-19-05, 08:16 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

yea i heard fnf3 is about drifiting so that should spark yet more interest. oh well time to go 4dr vip style
Old 09-19-05, 08:38 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cherplex
yea i heard fnf3 is about drifiting so that should spark yet more interest. oh well time to go 4dr vip style
I heard the next Fast n Furious will be focused on drifting and vip style

I think another thing that would kill younger owners with this car is the prohibitive operating costs- insurance at 91 octane @ 16 mpg, cost of parts, etc.

Also, we ALL want either a 2JZ or a 1JZ swap. Dont lie! LOL. But, again there are major cons to those two options also. No kid can really afford a 2JZ swap and try finding common parts for the 1JZ at Pep Boys. The swap on these cars arent easy like Hondas
Old 09-19-05, 01:31 PM
cloudnine
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xknowonex
I think another thing that would kill younger owners with this car is the prohibitive operating costs- insurance at 91 octane @ 16 mpg, cost of parts, etc.
Really? I'm paying <$50 per month to insure each of my SCs, with full coverage and a high deductible, at my home on the east coast. Then again, I'm an old guy with a clean record. How much does it cost to insure an SC, even for an 18 year old? After all, the big Lexuses are among the safest cars on the road, and most Lexus owners are solid-citizen types who take care of their cars and don't get into trouble.
As for fuel economy, I average 22.5 mpg, half city, half highway. Nothing to impress Prius owners with, but not bad for a 3700 pound, V8 car.
Old 09-19-05, 01:56 PM
kietlander
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

it wont be as bad as civics or 240s or WRX. but yeah once fast and furious 3 comes out... be warned... u will see a jump in drift, and VIP cars... but "ricers" and youngins will never be able to afford parts.
Old 09-19-05, 02:31 PM
aswang
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Never really mattered to me what other people liked. I've been a mainstay fan of the SC since it's debut and will always be. I'm on my 2nd SC and have owned 3 Lexus's so far. To me it's about loyalty, not trends. I won't be selling mine to get the next best thing. If the day ever comes where I have to dread the site of my SC being stolen/totaled, then on to another Lexus/Toyota.

I appreciate all cars, domestic and imports when tastefully done. There's lots of choices out there, and hey you know what if someone wants to buy an SC let them go ahead and buy it, but let's see how many really stick w/it. Here's to seeing an increase in SC resale values
Old 09-19-05, 02:48 PM
sc.Fred
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kietlander
i thing is....FWD was played out and now dead, 240's have another year or 2 b4 they become the next civic. AWD cars are a lil behind the 240. reason y SCs are so popular now is just simple... everyone is getting tired of the racer thing. i myself want a nice luxury car with *****. i didnt want the "tuner" stereo type anymore. i dunno if u havent noticed but i see more luxury sport cars then ever. i dunno if that made any since... i talk out my **** sometimes..lol
i thought 240's are the next civic ALREADY. especially in san diego and i'm pretty sure so cal in general.. you see them everywhere from hatchbacks to coupes you see them everywhere down here.