SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Gauging some interest and ideas...Roof Spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-05, 11:42 AM
pilip99
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VeilSideGS3
Sweet!!! Looks like nothing but great feedback on this item. We are drawing up the schematics and should offer one soon!

i thought i was gonna save money, but you guys have to keep screwing it up huh?? , like the pics looks good
Old 09-20-05, 12:28 PM
Fiya
Lead Lap

Default Huh

I don't understand this forum... This has been asked at least 3 times since I joined and we have had wildly different responses. check this LINK for another exact same topic and an almost unanimous I've always thought a roof spoiler would be a nice mod but that link scared me away.
Old 09-20-05, 12:54 PM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

Thumbs up

I recommend just single layer CF construction to take care of the guys who like the look of unpainted CF (tacky IMO). Since this is small, the piece is going to be mostly resin anyhow and the costs on CF sheets these days are really low.

What's it gonna take to get this made?

Since it's relatively small, mold costs should be pretty low

It takes money to get anything made, so all of us that want it, be prepared to prepay if you want this done quickly.
Old 09-20-05, 03:37 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MikeFD3S
I recommend just single layer CF construction to take care of the guys who like the look of unpainted CF (tacky IMO). Since this is small, the piece is going to be mostly resin anyhow and the costs on CF sheets these days are really low.

What's it gonna take to get this made?

Since it's relatively small, mold costs should be pretty low

It takes money to get anything made, so all of us that want it, be prepared to prepay if you want this done quickly.
Well I think it'd be tacky if you only threw on one layer. If I was to buy this I'd want quality not something that was thrown together for the sake of "pleasing" the carbon fiber fans.
Old 09-20-05, 04:00 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Since this is small, the piece is going to be mostly resin anyhow and the costs on CF sheets these days are really low.
Good point. Or, to save on cost, just make a CF version, and if that person wants, they can have it paitned to match their car. CF isn't expensive at all.

Originally Posted by Koma
Well I think it'd be tacky if you only threw on one layer. If I was to buy this I'd want quality not something that was thrown together for the sake of "pleasing" the carbon fiber fans.
Koma, have you seen a single layer of CF made out of a mold... in person? Odds are, no one's gonna even be able to tell. At least most will not be able to. Only the HARD CORE CF guys will notice the difference.
Old 09-20-05, 05:13 PM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

You do realize that the majority of CF automotive products, including many hoods and trunks that are regarded by most people as 'high quality' are only single layer CF with fiberglass reinforcement, right? I won't name any names, but those manufacturers are far from what anyone would call
tacky
The quality of appearance/aesthetic of carbon fiber doesnt change with the amount of layers that you use, it's dependant on the quality of the mold and clearcoat applied onto it, as well as the quality of the CF material itself.

Debating using additional layers of CF for a simple roof lip spoiler is useless. There are virtually no weight savings, nor are there any discernable improvements on rigidity or durability. This area of the car is not going to be receiving a lot of stress from aero dynamics. Your radio antenna gets more of a beating than this.

On CF vs. Fiberglass' resistance to warping-- a good deal of this is directly dependent on the fabricator's ability to properly cure the finished product. Again, a moot point to use more than one layer of CF for something like this.

With that said, is ABS plastic construction an option? ABS plastic doesn't warp, is used all the time for oem spoilers, and it is easy to prep and paint

Last edited by MikeFD3S; 09-20-05 at 05:16 PM.
Old 09-20-05, 08:43 PM
$C300
Lexus Test Driver

Smile

All i have to say is
Old 09-20-05, 08:49 PM
roo
Lexus Test Driver

i'd like to see someone make a duck tail spoiler for our cars like the Varis one. This one is totally out of production.
Attached Thumbnails Gauging some interest and ideas...Roof Spoiler-varis.jpg  
Old 09-21-05, 02:17 AM
Deceptik1
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by roo
i'd like to see someone make a duck tail spoiler for our cars like the Varis one. This one is totally out of production.
I agree I've been wanting one for the longest time. Similar to the Supra Bomex spoiler but toned down.
Old 09-21-05, 04:55 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by roo
Thank goodness for that!
Old 09-21-05, 06:23 AM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by roo
....and totally out of control.
Old 09-21-05, 06:41 AM
Koma

You do realize that the majority of CF automotive products, including many hoods and trunks that are regarded by most people as 'high quality' are only single layer CF with fiberglass reinforcement, right? I won't name any names, but those manufacturers are far from what anyone would call
So are you saying even quality parts use single layer or that ones that pretend to be quality parts use only a single layer.
Yea I guess it wouldn't really need reinforcement or weight savings.
I still want a carbon one, don't put no carbon vinyl on it call it a day.
Old 09-21-05, 01:06 PM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

So are you saying even quality parts use single layer or that ones that pretend to be quality parts use only a single layer.
Yea I guess it wouldn't really need reinforcement or weight savings.
I still want a carbon one, don't put no carbon vinyl on it call it a day.
Correct sir! Those companies have excellent marketing

Those whale tails look nice from the side, but from the back... :barf: suitable for foxbody mustangs and some 240sx...but sc...i think it'll have to pass, or get toned down at the very least

but to stay on the topic onhand.... the consensus is...LETS DO THIS!!!!
Old 09-21-05, 03:52 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There's no one else but me interested in a stick on blackwood kit? You guys must not have seen the one they made for the gs? It is hot.
Old 09-21-05, 04:37 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by reggiek
There's no one else but me interested in a stick on blackwood kit? You guys must not have seen the one they made for the gs? It is hot.

If I ever wanted a black wood kit, it'd actually have to be made out of wood. But that is just me Reg. The only thing "stick-on" I allow on my car is the tint.

Quick Reply: Gauging some interest and ideas...Roof Spoiler