SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Speaker size

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-01, 01:41 PM
BlackSC300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i plan on replacing my speakers in my 93 sc300..it has the premium seven speaker pioneer system. what size speakers will fit? any suggestions on what kind of amp (features,channels, etc) i should go with?
Old 07-16-01, 03:11 PM
Whitmanpc1
Driver

Question sound quality of replacement speakers

I also was going to replace my speakers in my 93 SC400 and spoke to a knowledgable car audio person.

He said that I shouldn't replace the speakers UNLESS something is wrong with them (i.e. blown).

Reason: New speakers may or may not sound as good since Lexus designed the whole SYSTEM. Does this make sense? He couldn't speak for the specific Nakamichi/SC setup I have but said that replacing speakers in a system that was designed together could cause problems.

Thoughts anyone?
Old 07-16-01, 03:12 PM
vj604
Driver

that makes sense usually...but drop in some dynaudio components and add a velodyne sub..if you have the cash and youll see the immediate difference.
Old 07-16-01, 04:32 PM
BlackSC300
Driver School Candidate

thanks. oh yeah i forgot to mention that i am going to replace my whole sound system....speakers, amps, subs, deck. do you think i should go with dynamats too? and if so...where should i put it?
Old 07-16-01, 04:53 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're confusing Dynaudio (speaker brand) with Dynamat (anti-rattle) stuff....

You may want to dynamat the car, depending on what you're putting in it. I Dynamat'ed the entire trunk, spare tire well, doors, GAS TANK, floors, and inside the rear bumper cover.

For the door speakers, I enlarged the holes in the factory door midbass-enclosures, and put some MB Quart Q series 5 1/4" in there, the tweeters fit EXACTLY in the factory spot, that was cool. Then in the trunk I mounted two JL Audio 10" W3's in the spare tire well, and for amps a JL 500/1 for the subs and 300/2 for the highs. It sounds AWESOME! I had two Rockford 15's!! in the trunk before, and it has more bass with the 10's and it's MUCH clearer!!!!

Myself I'm partial to MB Quart, but I also know that Dynaudio makes some great stuff.

If you're going to replace speakers in there, make sure you replace them all to get an equal sound!

SR
Old 07-16-01, 04:55 PM
MrWigggles
Rookie

I really like my premium sound system in my '95 SC300.

I have had plenty of cars over the years each with a $1500+ system. The lexus is the best overall sound that I have had.

The ONLY problems I have found with it are:

1. I wish it would play a few dB louder before distorting.

2. The free-air sub in the rear deck needs to go. Free air subs almost always sound poor and the NAK sub is no different.

Number 2 will probably be the easiest to solve. A sealed side firing sub (w/amp) placed in the left corner of the trunk works well. Remove the NAK sub and use the speaker level signal going to it as the signal for the replacement sub amp. A company in Austin called Audio Dimensions did this on a SC400 and the results were great it is (or was) one of their show cars. I highly recomend JL subs.

Number 1 could be accomplished with beefier amps and speakers in the front. I don't have a complete plan for this yet.

In general the advice Whitman got was good especially for the front in door woofers. They are in a ported enclosure that is designed specifically for them. Throwing in any old speaker might sound terrible. If you do replace these speakers, I recomend pluging the port hole to make it a sealed enclosure which will work with a much wider selection of speakers.

Good luck it might take some $ to beat the NAK system.

-Mr. Wigggles
Old 07-16-01, 05:57 PM
London Bill
Lead Lap

Default Re: sound quality of replacement speakers

Originally posted by Whitmanpc1
I also was going to replace my speakers in my 93 SC400 and spoke to a knowledgable car audio person.

He said that I shouldn't replace the speakers UNLESS something is wrong with them (i.e. blown).

Thoughts anyone?
Was this guy in the car hi-fi industry?, if he was he should'nt be because he is either to honest to be a salesman or not very adventurous with car hi-fi.

A speaker swap alone could easily sound worse than the stock system but that is only part of the job, if you consider more power with decent speakers, soundproofing (Dynamat), and a better mounting for the front speakers you will make a considerable improvement.