SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

4 studs broke off my wheel lastnight

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-05, 08:51 AM
technol
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 studs broke off my wheel lastnight

Thank god i wasn't going 50-70mph or i would have surely died. Lastnight driving home from work, and 4 studs are tottally gone off my rear supra tt wheel. It sucked, had to get towed and all. It's sitting at tire kingdom, they are charging me fricking $475. INSANE. I hate getting raped by places like that.
Old 10-06-05, 09:06 AM
sdastg1
Driver

you know studs are like $3-4 a piece and are pretty easy to change. Also studs don't just break, did you not tighten them back on last time you had the wheel off? If it was a shop that took them off, then you need to follow up with them
Old 10-06-05, 10:10 AM
kietlander
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

wow ur getting bent over hard man... they raped u. its really easy to change. sometimes on certain cars all u do is tap the old ones out..and tap new ones back in... it will take them 30 mins to do with the right tools.
Old 10-06-05, 10:20 AM
95 Integra
Lead Lap

Given Ive never changed lugs on a SC, but on the other cars Ive done, its not just a tap in, tap out process. Sure in theory it is, but getting to the lugs is a problem due to the spindle that sits behind the hub (aka, you can't just knock them out the back because they have nowhere to go). Maybe the SC is different, but something tells me you dont know whats really involved in changing them. Maybe its easier then I think and by no means is it a $500 job, probably more like a $200-250 job....haha.
Old 10-06-05, 10:44 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Uh,oh. Someone pulled an "emerald".
Old 10-06-05, 10:53 AM
technol
Lexus Test Driver

OLT i noticed that when i searched. lol. There goes my HID's for a while.. I get $500 wheel studs! yay!
Old 10-06-05, 11:35 AM
kietlander
Racer

i have done it b4 on a honda... im thinking its pretty much the same. as toyota. most places charge 20+studs a wheel. yes i had to remove the hub to do so.
Old 10-06-05, 11:54 AM
blksc300mt
Driver

ive changed em on an sc before...its so easy...theres a certain spot on the spindle thats got clearence for the stud to come out i believe...just rotate the hub until it lines up, and you can push the stud out of the hub. it's not like a honda where you have to take a whole ton of stuff apart. on a honda theres no clearence to get the stud out...it gets stuck on the tapered part of the spindle. i believe the one ive done was on the back wheel tho....havent done one on the front.
Old 10-06-05, 12:10 PM
kietlander
Racer

Originally Posted by blksc300mt
ive changed em on an sc before...its so easy...theres a certain spot on the spindle thats got clearence for the stud to come out i believe...just rotate the hub until it lines up, and you can push the stud out of the hub. it's not like a honda where you have to take a whole ton of stuff apart. on a honda theres no clearence to get the stud out...it gets stuck on the tapered part of the spindle. i believe the one ive done was on the back wheel tho....havent done one on the front.

THANK U!
u guys still think im full of it?

Last edited by O. L. T.; 10-06-05 at 11:12 PM.
Old 10-06-05, 10:22 PM
deruvian
Driver

Originally Posted by technol
Thank god i wasn't going 50-70mph or i would have surely died. Lastnight driving home from work, and 4 studs are tottally gone off my rear supra tt wheel. It sucked, had to get towed and all. It's sitting at tire kingdom, they are charging me fricking $475. INSANE. I hate getting raped by places like that.
Whoa whoa... This exact same thing happened to me a couple months ago. Except I was going about 60mph when it happened.

The dumbass previous owner left the hub rings on. The stock wheels don't fit so well when these aftermarket rings are on the car.

I was feeling particularly lazy the next day, so I had a shop change them... About $60. New studs and lugs were maybe $35 of that. Sounds like it is too late for you to pull out - but I'd suggest consulting CL the next time you need to have any repairs done. I realize you were probably in a time-constricted position, but man $475 is quite a bit more than $60.
Old 10-06-05, 11:13 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

kietlander, curse editor,............ we put it there for a reason. I helped get your post up to forum regulation.
Old 10-07-05, 09:02 AM
technol
Lexus Test Driver

Yea, I the car wasnt ready yesterday, They were short 7 lugs. That price includes like $70 for new lugs, $225 of it is labor, because i needed a couple of other studs replaced aswell. Also includes the tow truck, but im still getting jacked. I hate that place.
Old 10-07-05, 09:08 AM
SC400DAVE
Lexus Test Driver

This might help you with the cause of your problem, and help others from making the same mistake.
http://planetsoarer.com/offset/studs.htm
Old 10-07-05, 02:55 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

That's some good reading- thanks for that link!

(And thanks to Peter for writing that new addition to his informative web site.)

Good to know they just tap out (unless there's a rust-factor). That makes using spacers more attractive.

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 10-07-05 at 03:12 PM.
Old 10-08-05, 01:55 PM
SC4Million
Driver

Originally Posted by technol
Yea, I the car wasnt ready yesterday, They were short 7 lugs. That price includes like $70 for new lugs, $225 of it is labor, because i needed a couple of other studs replaced aswell. Also includes the tow truck, but im still getting jacked. I hate that place.

I used to work for Tire Kingdom / NTB and I can tell you their corporate model for pircing.

Parts are marked up 250% from what the parts store charged the shop.
Labor should be $75 and hour. ($225 / $75 = 3 hours of labor) That is excessive, BUT I never had a car come in with 7 broken lugs either. Ask them to see the ALLDATA print off of the est. labor. They should have no problems showing it to you.

Quick Reply: 4 studs broke off my wheel lastnight