SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Just A Question?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-01, 03:36 PM
L_Sport
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What do you guys think about the new SC? Do you like it better then the last generation or like it less?

Personally I like the last generation better. The new SC is more along the likes of an Audi TT and is much smaller then the last model. The addition of a convertible has been much anticipated, but I would have liked to see the last generation SC as a factory convertible first before the new 430.

Don't get me wrong I think the new SC is *****i’n I got to see it at the San Francisco auto exposé at one of its first unveilings and I was thrown back by its beauty. It really is a surprising move by Lexus, such a dramatic change form the older SC, but I still miss the full body SC400!

It would have been nice if they updated the SC400 with a facelift of something and added the 2002 SC430 as a new smaller coupe.
Like a LC430 (little coupe 430) or something? Although both cars are awesome and better then most in many ways a tradition of Lexus quality!

I don't know? What do you guys think about it?
Old 07-18-01, 03:50 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Im w/ u L Sport. IMO, the newer SC just isn't like the old at all. I have a 92 SC3 and i think that the 92 SC's were the best looking ones. Eventhough Lexus would make lil body kit upgrades, put in a true grill,etc. The 1st SC's r the best. I'm afraid that Lexus is headed more towards a new look....LS430, SC430. At least they didnt chage the GS430. But believe me, I'd take a new SC in an instant.
Old 07-18-01, 04:06 PM
L_Sport
Lead Lap

Totally, I would have loved to see the new SC as an addition to the Lexus arsenal as a different model rather then a replacement for the SC.

I have an ES, and I love the 92-96 body style and I also love the 97 - 2001, I think it was upgraded tastefully and kept the details that made it an ES although the new LS and SC I would have never guessed were made by Lexus. I hope they don't butcher up the ES and make it look completely different I think the 2001's are awesome and hard to improve on.
Attached Thumbnails Just A Question?-gold-lex-2-copy.jpg  
Old 07-18-01, 04:12 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

dam* man...we r like twins. I like the 01 ES a lot, i could be a lil mor eluxurious in th ecabin (i.e. nav system,etc.)
That ES in th epic is TITE. (Im assuming its urs) besides the rimes, do u have any other upgrades?
Old 07-18-01, 04:26 PM
L_Sport
Lead Lap

Yes it's mine, I have....

18x8 chrome rims, tires 225/40/R18
Custom AC2i Cold air intake system
Flowmaster & custom cat-back exhaust
1.6 B&G drop springs and performance shocks/struts
Custom chrome bottom grill
Strut Bar
Cleared out headlights (no amber reflectors)
Hyper whites all the way around
Bronze tint all around
"Under ground lighting"
Hood squirter blinkers
Auto start alarm
and other misc. lighting touches

Not too much out there for my ES though, most of it I did my self or had custom done.

Check out more pics of my car on the ES gallery
Old 07-18-01, 05:21 PM
L_Sport
Lead Lap

hey bro, quick question...how did you get that pic of your car up by your name?
Old 07-18-01, 10:13 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

im not following u man???
Old 07-19-01, 05:50 AM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Avatar

L_Sport is talking about the Avatar( the picture below your online name).

You have to edit your profile here. Select "profile" at the top of the screen and then select "edit profile" . You should see the avatar selection on the bottom. Just remember you have to make the image small enough to fit. Hope this helps.

gadgetSC
Old 07-19-01, 06:47 AM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

oh ok. Well i guess garnet answered ur question L Sport. Thanks garnet.
Old 07-19-01, 08:20 AM
ToyotaFan

Cool I've thought all along that the new SC should have been a new model line.

When I first posted here, I suggested (along with some others) that a new forum specific to the SC430 might be nice. Since it's still "just" an SC model, it was obviously decided to keep it here. To me, a convertible that looks so drastically different from earlier models in the line deserved it's own designation.
I like the LC designation. :-)
I agree with the TT sort of look comment as well. To be honest, I was quite disappointed in the overall appearance. It seems to have borrowed far more from existing cars than it has carved a new profile, IMO.
Don't get me wrong (please?) I'm not bashing the car. Just stating my opinion that to me it does not have that "drop your jaw to the floor" look I was expecting.
Having stated my opiniion on the looks of the car...I would not be unhappy if someone dropped one off in my driveway. :-)
Old 07-19-01, 12:17 PM
L_Sport
Lead Lap

Totally, like I said it looks tight with the Lexus badge on the front, I just don't think it’s a SC. The SC could compete with the looks of a Benz SL coupe or an M3 now it's compared more to the little what is it SLK? Any way that little Mercedes and the TT or even a Miata at that. For it to be so drastically different to be compared to a whole different class of cars, it should be in a class of its own and not in the SC400's class. The last generation will always hold a special place in my heart and when I have the money even if it's 2010 I’m not going to by a 2010 SC430 I’m getting a 2000 or older!
Attached Thumbnails Just A Question?-lc430.jpg  
Old 07-19-01, 04:48 PM
L_Sport
Lead Lap

I am a little more outspoken in the ES forum since I feel at home there with my ES300 but here is a related post that I also posted there about the way Lexus is changing there cars so drastically, I hope I don't offend anyone, because no matter what I love Lexus till I die!

Sounds like Lexus can add another screwed up design to their list! First they FU@#$* up the LS then the SC now the beautiful ES too? I guess the LX, RX, GS are next on the list and the IS after a while also will get butchered. After more then what 12 years of excellence and design Lexus is "fixing something that isn't broken" god why? Their cars have nothing that ties them together from the last generation to the new generation vehicles, like BMW's timeless front grills. Lexus is disappointing me drastically, I don’t care if the new cars look hot, (which I don’t think the do) they still don’t have the Lexus look that built a luxury automobile empire! I’m heated! The 2001 windom/ ES300 is perfection embodied in an automobile. I am impressed on how it was slightly updated from the 92 and now they are going to rape it from its identity and take away everything that makes it a windom. Even though it was a 2001 just by a glance I could recognize its ES300 trademarks like the mean looking headlights, front grill, front valance, sporty tail end frameless doors and smooth body. Like the new SC430 they don’t even have the trademark SC style headlights 4 head lights, that is the most dramatic trademark for the SC’s and now they created a TT wannabe with completely different design not maintaining anything of the older version, not even the same size car? What is the future for Lexus? Will they still sell just because they have an L on the hood?

I don’t mean to offend anyone with these comments, but I’m feeling pretty hurt right now. I new this was going to happen, Alvin this is all I need to know about the new ES don’t bother with pics, I want’t to remember the ES the way it was when it was still alive, smiling and happy.

RIP ES300 92-2001

RIP LS300 90-2000

RIP SC300/400 90-2000

What do you think am I just crazy? Or does anyone else have some of the same feelings?
Attached Thumbnails Just A Question?-windom.jpg  
Old 07-20-01, 06:52 AM
ToyotaFan

Default L_Sport...Yes, it's the SLK from MB that the SC430 most closely resembles...

IMO. The front grill, side profile to some degree (but it also has that distinct TT look), and of course the retractable hardtop is a total rip of the SLK. That's okay though, because I'd love to see every convertible go the hard route. I live in the Boston area, and rag tops just make no sense in the winter. Plus, I know more people who have had their rag tops slashed, than not. The most disappointing view to me is from the back of the SC430. I REALLY think it's FUGLY from behind. Reminds me of the Dodge Intrepid (I think that's what it is/was).
BTW...I own a 2001 SLK320. We considered an SC430, but the dealers couldn't even give us a ball park price back in the winter. We needed a car early this year, so the SC430 was out and the SLK was in. I don't think it's interior comes close to ANY Lexus. Reliability will remain to be seen. So far, mine is excellent, but the SLK has it's share of known problems. I think we got lucky.
I'm following this board because we will continue to look at Lexus' as the SLK gets on in years. If we start having problems with it...it's GONE!!!!!
BTW...I'm never offended if folks bash the SLK, or anything else I own. Cars, like most things in life, represent personal choices and preferences. The SLK was by far the best choice for my wife and I at the time we bought it.
About the only thing that bothers me is the opinion some folks have that theirs is the ONLY valid opinion. Nobody is "all that", and those who think they are usually prove themselves to be even less. :-)
Thanks for an interesting post.
Old 07-20-01, 09:22 AM
Slick Lex Coupe
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not that I don't like the new a SC, but I think that they changed the car from a luxury sports car to just a luxury car. The first gen SC is a classic. I have never met anyone who thought the car was ugly. This was a great achievment for Lexus because it's hard to make a design that is widely accepted but also looks like nothing else on the road. Where I live there are no SC's. People always ask me if my car is a 2001. They are shocked when I tell them it's a 93. The new car is love it or hate it. I don't think it will look as good in 10 years. Also why did they shrink the rear seat? I think the first gen SC is the perfect size car. I actually hate taking multiple passengers in my car, but if I have to I do. You can fit a real human in the backseat of the first gen, but I don't think anyone over the age of 5 will be happy in the back of the new one. I think the new SC is a cool car, but it will never live up to the first generation. Lexus dropped the ball on this one.
Old 07-21-01, 02:34 AM
'S'Low Rider
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 4th Gen SC

The latest SC430 is the 4th generation!

The pics below show the 1st gen - 1981-86; 2nd gen 1986-1991, the first SC with folding roof (1987?), the classic 91 SC 3rd gen; and last the SC430 4th gen.

Only the 3rd gen and 4th gen were available in the USA.

All folding roof models were copied from the awesome models produced in the USA in the 50's, not Mercedes!

It was a bigger design change from 2nd to 3rd gen as you can see. 3rd gen is still my fave!
Attached Thumbnails Just A Question?-schist.jpg  

Quick Reply: Just A Question?