SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Steering wheel squeeks/grinds, tramlining etc.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-05, 03:14 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Steering wheel squeeks/grinds, tramlining etc.

1. Sometimes when I turn the wheel it squeeks a little or makes a faint grinding noise. It seems like it needs lubrication. Does that sound like an accurate diagnosis? Would I need to disasemble the wheel up to that point to lubricate it or could I do it another way?

2. My LCA balljoints are supposedly nice and tight. Supposedly my bushings are still present. Also, supposedly, my car steers "fine" according to mechanics but I know this isn't the case. If the ground slopes left or right then I have to turn the wheel to counteract this. Also, The car is very sensitive to bumps in the road-2 hands must be on the wheel at all times unless the road is near perfect. Lastly, it seems like the car "bangs", if thats the right word, if I hit a speed bump over 5mph. I'm not talking about big speed bumps, I'm talking about tiny little ones that you can drive normally over and only feel it a little. What does this sound like? Steering rack? LCA's? Other? The suspension is stock. I don't have the money to replace one thing and have it be the next so any tips toward the right direction are appreciated.

Scott
Old 10-12-05, 09:06 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Quick easy fix is to change the power steering fluid or top it off. You might be running low or the fluid might be old. Get a bottle of PS fluid added with conditioners and stuff. If it continues, it might be a more serious problem.

Suspension... one word, LCAs. The bushings look fine always. The only way to actually see the damage is to take them off. With your age and mileage, the front LCA bushings are most certainly gone. You describe clear signs of worn bushings. The "wandering" feeling at times on the highway, fighting the wheel, needing a perfect road. My car feels like it hydroplanes a little bit... even on dry pavement, at high speeds. Get the Supra arms and change 'em out.
Old 10-12-05, 09:11 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The wandering steering wheel could also be bad steering rack bushings, also common issue. My daily driver has bad LCA bushings, just go into reverse and hit the brakes.. CLUNK
Old 10-12-05, 11:28 AM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Power steering fluid should be relatively fine. I changed out a quart or so using a turkey baster, so overall the fluid is in OK condition. I just noticed coming home today that the car makes that same bang/clunk noise when I enter my driveway. Since I forgot to mention it, my car has >140k miles.

Scott

Last edited by sonyman; 10-12-05 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-12-05, 12:28 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You need 2 rear bushings for the front LCA's

Scott, what's causing this noise are worn lower control arm bushings. Your front lower control arms have a front and a rear bushing, most likely your rear bushings are shot on each side. Go to the Lexus dealer and get those 2 bushings. Do a search here on CL for the part numbers (they will appear in the dealer computer as parts for a 1997 but haven been shown to be the same for the 92-96 SC's as well), if you can't find the part number let me know and I'll get it for you.

You need 2 of the rear bushings for the front lower control arms and they go for anywhere between $35-$50 each at the dealer. There's no need to spend $400+ on Supra control arms if your ball joints are fine when you can spend $100 on parts to fix this issue properly. Let me know if you have any questions, I'll be around

-Mike
Old 10-12-05, 01:55 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

I wasn't aware that the dealership sold the bushings. I had my car looked at today by a very trustworthy mechanic who is familiar with these cars and the LCA issues and he said that my bushings were worn, but not torn. He also thinks my struts are worn out. He found no fault with my steering rack bushings. However, as has been previously stated, I may need to take things apart to see the real damage. My only concern with putting in only bushings is the cost. I was told it would take 6+ hours for the job.

Scott
Old 10-12-05, 02:27 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

I don't even have to look at your car to know that the lca bushings have failed, it's a given after you surpass 100k on these cars.

You would know that you have a worn steering rack bushing if you have a "dead spot" in your steering where you turn the wheel and nothing happens. If your wheel is still very responsive then your steering rack is fine.

Let me ask you this, if you're concerned about overall cost of the repair please tell me how much you have to spend and I'll see what I think your best course of action will be given that budget.

Just know that the cheapest of which is to simply buy the 2 bushings I mentioned earlier and have them installed. You will either come out of pocket for the parts (Supra arms go for about $210 each plus installation which is simpler than removal/installation of old/new bushings into the old lca's) OR for the labor (torching out and pressing in new bushings can be expensive, but you save by getting less expensive parts and ONLY the parts you really need at this time), but you won't be able to cut corners on both unfortunately. You'll have to make a decision...do you want to drop more on parts or labor?

As a matter of fact read this thread, and pay no attention to the arguing that I was a part of :

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ght=eurojulian

The part number for the bushings (2) you need is Lexus part #48655-24050
Old 10-12-05, 02:45 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

I really appreciate your help Mike. I'll have to get back to you on that cost issue. I'm having my differential replaced next week, and from what the mechanic has told me (and shown me) I have a dangerous, to my alternator at least, power steering leak, and that will take priority over this. It may be the end of the month when I am paid before I can afford to take care of this, but I should know how much I have to work with by the end of next week. I'd prefer to stay below $400 if possible; below $500 would be nice as well.

Scott
Old 10-12-05, 03:05 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

No worries man, if I can help I'll try my best...

Okay, we can work with that budget. Let's see...how much are you being charged JUST to remove old bushings and reinstall the new ones? It shouldn't take 6 hours just so you know. Mine only took about 3 hours at a shop.

You're in N. Carolina right? What you should do is call up Carson Toyota at #310.522.2300 and ask for Gordon Miguel, he's the parts guy who works with Steve Ganz (a fellow CL member and all around great guy). Tell him you want to order 2 of those bushings I told you about and have them shipped to you in NC. Don't forget to mention you're a CL member for a nice discount. The bushings will them be about $35 each and after shipping you can expect to pay about $85 or so at the most for them to arrive at your door.

So now you have $315 left in your budget to work with. Don't forget you will need an alignment after this repair so subtract that amount from your budget as well. What's an alignment go for in your area? Around here it's about $50-$60. That being the case you now have about $255 left to have the bushings installed. I paid a local shop here in LA $200 to do mine, do you think you can find a mechanic to do it for you for $255 or less? If so then you're in the game
Old 10-12-05, 03:48 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

I had almost the same exact problem and I solved it by replacing it with the Supra LCAs. Replacing the bushings only would incur more labor and u risk having bad ball joints down the road. I was debating heavily wheter to buy bushings or the entire arm. When Todd from TM Engineering examined the ball-joints, he concluded that it is worn out. My car has 140k miles by the way.
Old 10-12-05, 05:46 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Well it certainly seems like I can stay within my budget. I'll have to look around and try to find a shop that can remove my LCA's, remove the old bushings, and put in new ones for $255. The shop I went to was even familiar with Daizen, but estimated 6 hours to change out the bushings. They charge by the book, whether or not it takes more or less time. I'm not sure what their labor rate is either, but it has to be at least $60 an hour. So with them it would be $360. They would need to purchase the parts themselves (to make a little profit on them as well) so it could get a little expensive. I'll have to do some hunting for a 3 hour shop.

xknowonex- Supposedly my ball joints are still nice and tight, even after 140k miles. The only issue to me is cost, cost, cost! I've had a few important repairs for this car creep up on my so my budget is very tight at the moment. I'll have to get some real figures to work with, but I estimate it would cost over $1000 parts and labor to change the LCA's. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Scott
Old 10-12-05, 11:33 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sonyman
Well it certainly seems like I can stay within my budget. I'll have to look around and try to find a shop that can remove my LCA's, remove the old bushings, and put in new ones for $255. The shop I went to was even familiar with Daizen, but estimated 6 hours to change out the bushings. They charge by the book, whether or not it takes more or less time. I'm not sure what their labor rate is either, but it has to be at least $60 an hour. So with them it would be $360. They would need to purchase the parts themselves (to make a little profit on them as well) so it could get a little expensive. I'll have to do some hunting for a 3 hour shop.

xknowonex- Supposedly my ball joints are still nice and tight, even after 140k miles. The only issue to me is cost, cost, cost! I've had a few important repairs for this car creep up on my so my budget is very tight at the moment. I'll have to get some real figures to work with, but I estimate it would cost over $1000 parts and labor to change the LCA's. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Scott
1000 dollars????? Thats like stealership prices. Heres what it costed me: $430 Control Arms + $240 (Labor and Daizen Steering Rack Bushings) = 670 + Alignment. I personally think its worth every penny because what is the point of installing a nice-coilover set or even a nice turbo swap when your car cant even drive straight on the highway?

Last edited by xknowonex; 10-12-05 at 11:36 PM.
Old 10-13-05, 06:41 AM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

$430 for both arms?

Scott
Old 10-13-05, 08:21 AM
Fastfwd
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey! Can you guys that know about bushings tell me what you think of my situation? I posted pics in this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=182486
Old 10-13-05, 11:04 AM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fastfwd
Hey! Can you guys that know about bushings tell me what you think of my situation? I posted pics in this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=182486
Fastfwd, please read this entire thread and then pm me if you have any questions and I'll be more than happy to answer them for you

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ght=eurojulian