SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

The complete headlight HOW TO clean DIY + projector refinishing

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-10, 04:56 PM
dwebb99
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder if 3M Window Weld (comes in a caulking tube and is used for sealing in new windshields) would work well as a replacement to the silicone sealer? My local Autozone sells the 3m Window Weld. Has anyone tried the 3M Window Weld on their head light seals?
Old 08-22-10, 12:06 AM
SEXY 400
Driver

Thumbs up

I just did this today and All I can say is WOW, previous owner destroyed the headlights, so I had to reseal everything since it was leaking BAD after rain or washing the car! Did all the steps and really made a noticeable difference in light output of my 100 watt hid kit. My car seems to light the whole freeway at night now especially when I'm driving solo at 3 in the morning! Thanks for the info, very helpful!
Old 08-22-10, 11:35 AM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SEXY 400
I just did this today and All I can say is WOW, previous owner destroyed the headlights, so I had to reseal everything since it was leaking BAD after rain or washing the car! Did all the steps and really made a noticeable difference in light output of my 100 watt hid kit. My car seems to light the whole freeway at night now especially when I'm driving solo at 3 in the morning! Thanks for the info, very helpful!
100 watts!! That thing will probably light up the world!
Old 08-24-10, 04:12 PM
SEXY 400
Driver

Originally Posted by BartleDoo
100 watts!! That thing will probably light up the world!
Ahahaha wanted the brightest I could get, the hid the car came with really sucked at 35 watt 4300k EWWW.
Old 08-28-10, 12:11 AM
ISFFUN
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

This project has gone terribly wrong for me. I baked and pryed off the seal which ruined my putty knife. The stuff is just stuck on there now.

I bought adhesive remover thinking this would be effective for removing the old stuff. WORST IDEA EVER. The spray destroys the plastic. Some of it dripped down into the plastic so I then tried sanding it down with 150 grit. The spray's damage was deeper than that. 150 was all I had so I just kept going and half of the inside grooves are almost sanded down and the drip lines are still there. Ugh man. So then I'm thinking, OK get the dremel....wrong again. Luckily I only tested a small area but the dremele just chewed up the plastic. There goes 6 hours.

All I had is 150, 1500, and 2000 grit paper so I'm totally dead in the water right now. I started looking on ebay for a replacement light. I don't know if this project will ever get complete correctly.
Old 08-28-10, 12:16 AM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you use a plastic putty knife or metal? I used a metal one, more rigid and less likely to flex. I put my lights in the oven for about 2 minutes at 300 degrees and pulled them out to work the edges, then back in the oven at 30 second increments until they finally came apart. I didn't really have any issues doing mine.
Old 09-17-10, 07:08 PM
RalAegidius
Lead Lap

The adhesive in the groove that holds the two outer shells together will harden again as it cools off from the oven. I actually find it easier to work with after it hardens a bit. I spent considerable time with 2-3 different knives (utility knife, X-acto, and a pocketknife I own with a fat blade on it) scraping the adhesive out. WEAR GLOVES WHILE YOU DO THIS.

I just tossed my Family Guy DVD collection on and let that play in the background while I worked on it.

I did get around to redoing this project, although I only opened up the driver's side headlight. As it turns out, the haze was NOT on the inside. My seal job from before had held fine. The discoloration was on the outside. Again. What the hell?

Anyway, I was able to smooth it out with plain old rubbing compound, followed by Meguiar's Plastic Cleaner and Plastic Polish.

For a particular rough spot, I used a small bit of 2000 grit sandpaper, lots of water, and a VERY VERY LIGHT touch to smooth the worst bits off before using the rubbing compound.

I did the same to the passenger side headlight, and they both now look like new again.

Last edited by RalAegidius; 09-17-10 at 07:13 PM.
Old 09-17-10, 07:28 PM
RalAegidius
Lead Lap

OH something I forgot! The driver's side headlight has a somewhat different enclosure because it also contains the horizontal and vertical alignment gizmos on it. On the TOP of the enclosure there is an attachment point to the car that is not the same as the one on the passenger side.

This attachment sticks up and it is made of plastic. I accidentally bent mine after it got heated and soft in the oven and I put weight on it while removing the silicone adhesive. It was damaged so badly that I had to remove it and now there's no attaching screw for the top of the enclosure!

It stays put mostly by virtue of how tightly the thing fits in the bumper in the first place, but for pete's sake be careful when working on that driver's side light.
Old 10-12-10, 07:21 PM
1uzfe4147
Driver

Hey just a question.... But if i wanted too do this and paint the chrome part black would that effect my lights strength? Because i seen some black after market ones that i would like too get... but i am not sure if its the material that reflects back or what? I would prefer not too waste 339$ if i could just make mine look basically the same! thanks

Last edited by 1uzfe4147; 10-12-10 at 08:18 PM.
Old 11-17-10, 01:46 PM
evotom
Driver School Candidate

Great write up!!!! lots of helpful info.....,THANKS
Old 11-17-10, 02:14 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

why clean the hazy lens when you can just order clear projector lens, from the retrofit source. zwk-r with a spacer. thats what i plan to do.
Old 11-23-10, 09:12 PM
ScJz
Driver

This is a very nice DIY..thought I would add the props to everyone elses. All the pics and words are perfectly mint
Old 12-01-10, 04:03 AM
kook
Rookie

Originally Posted by sc300jz
why clean the hazy lens when you can just order clear projector lens, from the retrofit source. zwk-r with a spacer. thats what i plan to do.
are they the same size?
Old 12-05-10, 12:14 AM
ucmysc400
Pole Position

thank u shines so much better now...... my friends comes in through the door looks at the oven " are you on effin drugs "
Old 12-27-10, 08:25 AM
menty
Lead Lap

When resealing the lenses to the housing, is it necessary to remove the glue already there, or can we apply silicon and join them?

Quick Reply: The complete headlight HOW TO clean DIY + projector refinishing