SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Hi I'm new, thinking about getting an SC...

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-05, 03:28 AM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Soarer_25GTT
How's it going mate, the SC400 fits the bill perfectly if you're not looking to do the turbo conversion at all but if you're looking to do it some time in the future I'd probably look for an SC300... only makes sense.

Welcome to CL.

Is it possible for one get sideways in a 400?
Old 10-17-05, 03:39 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

With a little bit of persuasion you can get any car sideways

The SC3 would be more suited though.
Old 10-17-05, 04:10 AM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

I can't wait to get out of having to drive my truck every day!!!
Old 10-17-05, 09:17 AM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Wow my thread is already half way down the page.......

^
Old 10-17-05, 09:24 AM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by llllllllll
Wow my thread is already half way down the page.......

^
I don't know what or how my fellow CL members are driving, but I get around 24-28mpg highway EASY... I get about 18-21mpg City in my 97 SC300 Auto....

I also don't race or drive my car tooo hard.

BTW: Welcome to CL, hope MOST people in here are nice and don't make you feel like crap just for asking a simple question that may have been asked before...

Take Care!
Old 10-17-05, 09:35 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

After owning 2 of em now, first off.. the SC3 isnt a reliable car. Little junk here and there always breaks and its not cheap to fix. The initial cost might be low $3-5k for a good car, but be prepaired for repairs. Average MPG is 18-21. The aftermarket is huge and mod potential is limitless, but its not cheap.

You got to love them to own one, if you just want one because its RWD and a cheap alternative to a supra, make sure you research what your getting into. To get an SC in the same playing field as a supra (stock TT, LSD, 6spd, good brakes), will put you in the total amount spent as the same cost as a stock 94+ supra tt. If your a good shopper and do all your own work u can do it for alot cheaper, but once u hit that shop to get work done, kiss ur $$ goodbye
Old 10-17-05, 09:48 AM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by VJ RC51
After owning 2 of em now, first off.. the SC3 isnt a reliable car. Little junk here and there always breaks and its not cheap to fix. The initial cost might be low $3-5k for a good car, but be prepaired for repairs. Average MPG is 18-21. The aftermarket is huge and mod potential is limitless, but its not cheap.

You got to love them to own one, if you just want one because its RWD and a cheap alternative to a supra, make sure you research what your getting into. To get an SC in the same playing field as a supra (stock TT, LSD, 6spd, good brakes), will put you in the total amount spent as the same cost as a stock 94+ supra tt. If your a good shopper and do all your own work u can do it for alot cheaper, but once u hit that shop to get work done, kiss ur $$ goodbye
I'd agree with some of this. Some are extremely reliable (like mine)...

I've put over 60,000 miles on my car and it has only cost me about $1500 in general Mantainance. My SC400 I had was prone to problems that I could never seem to get fixed ($6,000 later)...

If you get a good low mileage SC300 from 97+ you shouldn't have any real problems with the car for a good 50,000+ miles easy. I would say that the SC is a VERY reliable car!

here are a few I found on ebay that will probably be problem free for a while:
93 SC300
98 SC300

Last edited by IronCobra; 10-17-05 at 09:54 AM.
Old 10-17-05, 09:56 AM
kietlander
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

i was driving my new car home last night, and well i went a lil happy goin on the highway, and this is the first time i can see the needle move as i was pressing on the gas.. i have to find out a away to get betta mileage
Old 10-17-05, 10:02 AM
kietlander
Racer

As for looks, how much would it cost to have something that looks sexy like this one??

Oh and I work for a car audio/performance shop so I get a discount but not much of one...
well to get it to look like that it will be less then 5k

for the kit 1400
rims is up to u but i say 2000
and paint 1500-3000
suspension 300-1000
Old 10-17-05, 10:38 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Wow I wasn't expecting a smartass response soo quick

All the though involved in trying to be cool you could have said (bad engine, crankwalk, bad suspension) or something alittle more On-topic and helpful. And for your information I have searched, how do you think I found this forum, also I do not want to dig through 11dy billion pages of unhelpful information on this site to find that the only problem sc's have is that the dashboard cracks or some small problem..

have a good one
meh.... they're all like that.... I still don't see why they waste their time posting if thats all they're gonna say but yes, an SC300/400 would be a great car! my first car was an SC400 and I still own her to this day without a problem!*knock on wood* good luck in the search! and you're right... BOO TO DSM! fireworks under the hood
Old 10-17-05, 01:33 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by kietlander
well to get it to look like that it will be less then 5k

for the kit 1400
rims is up to u but i say 2000
and paint 1500-3000
suspension 300-1000
Those rims are iforged flux. 20 inch rims, yea they probably go for around 3k without group buy? Then you get the cost of tires plus installation and possibly some fender modifications. $2000 is for some Hp's or Axiis rims with tires. I'm sorry but I do not want to have to remind everybody that we drive Lexus and thus representing the Lexus name, this is one of the very reasons why our cars aren't worth jack squat. Our cars 'stock' are ugly and people with no money make them ugly, which ultimately brings down the overall value of a car, you know its true.
Old 10-17-05, 01:50 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Personally, I would get the latest SC400 over the 300 if I can afford it because it makes 290hp out of the box. That is much more than the early SC400s.

Second, as for the reliabilty, you just gotta know what to look for. The SC is my 2nd car I've ever owned AND test driven in my entire life and so far I had good luck with buying used car. The first thing I look for is a one owner car whose owner has deep pockets and is willing to spend whatever amount of money it takes to keep the car running nice.

My first car was a 1999 Cavalier Z24 with 110k miles (a car with a bad reliability reputation) and it was owned by an affluent guy who works for Boeing. Its his daughters car but he takes extremely good care of it. I owned it without any problems for two years until I crashed it. To everyones suprise the motor was smooth as silk. I never bothered test driving anything else.

Back to the SC, the current SC i bought was a one owner and the he is a mortgage broker who lives in Laguna Beach. This guy was never hesitant on paying 50-100 dollars on oil changes and inspections at the dealer. The car is probably one of the nicest 1992 SCs w 140k miles you can reasonably get for 5200. Again, its the only SC I've driven.

When it comes to a used car, you just have to look at its owner. So far, the idea works really well.
Old 10-17-05, 08:19 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by VJ RC51

Not a personal attack, just food for thought...

First up, if you get a beater SC then yes they're not reliable (just like most beaters, but then that's why they're given that name, right?). Sure I got the small cracks in the interior on my 93 Soarer (door panel crack, one air vent register cracked) but that has happened after 4 years of ownership, and this happened last year. Everything else was in pretty much average to good condition.

I don't find them as a cheap alternative to a Supra, I class them as 2 different cars (Supra = Sports, Soarer = Cruiser) but of course as many people have done here is chucked in all the goodies that the Supra RZ has into the Soarer. What I used to love about the Soarer was that it was a luxury car with good performance out of the box, NOT because it's cheaper to initially buy than a Supra but with a lot of kids thesedays buying one in hope to turn it into an F&F monster (which usually turns into utter garbage) it brings the name down, and they can't afford to maintain them so they don't.

It really depends on the condition of the car you're getting. Spend the time looking for a good condition example and you won't have a problem that's out of the ordinary

Jose
Old 10-17-05, 11:04 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Soarer_25GTT
Not a personal attack, just food for thought...

First up, if you get a beater SC then yes they're not reliable (just like most beaters, but then that's why they're given that name, right?). Sure I got the small cracks in the interior on my 93 Soarer (door panel crack, one air vent register cracked) but that has happened after 4 years of ownership, and this happened last year. Everything else was in pretty much average to good condition.

I don't find them as a cheap alternative to a Supra, I class them as 2 different cars (Supra = Sports, Soarer = Cruiser) but of course as many people have done here is chucked in all the goodies that the Supra RZ has into the Soarer. What I used to love about the Soarer was that it was a luxury car with good performance out of the box, NOT because it's cheaper to initially buy than a Supra but with a lot of kids thesedays buying one in hope to turn it into an F&F monster (which usually turns into utter garbage) it brings the name down, and they can't afford to maintain them so they don't.

It really depends on the condition of the car you're getting. Spend the time looking for a good condition example and you won't have a problem that's out of the ordinary

Jose
Good performance out of the box? Well, in your case, yes. All you guys overseas have turbo'd 1JZs with 280 hp on tap. Most of us here in the states get a naturally aspirated 3.0 that puts down <200 to the wheels through a 4spd automatic tranny. People wouldnt complain too much bout gas mileage and lack of power if the car puts out enough power. Having 300 horspower is like standard now for cars of its class.
Old 10-18-05, 02:20 AM
kietlander
Racer

Originally Posted by Xotic sC
Those rims are iforged flux. 20 inch rims, yea they probably go for around 3k without group buy? Then you get the cost of tires plus installation and possibly some fender modifications. $2000 is for some Hp's or Axiis rims with tires. I'm sorry but I do not want to have to remind everybody that we drive Lexus and thus representing the Lexus name, this is one of the very reasons why our cars aren't worth jack squat. Our cars 'stock' are ugly and people with no money make them ugly, which ultimately brings down the overall value of a car, you know its true.
i didnt mean u can get those rims for that price. i just ment that normally rims can be had for 2k. u can find some nice wheels if ur on a 2k limit.

Quick Reply: Hi I'm new, thinking about getting an SC...