SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Hi I'm new, thinking about getting an SC...

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-05, 11:54 PM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi I'm new, thinking about getting an SC...

I know I might be posting this in the wrong section but I do not want to know about just any lexus. I have got my eyes set on SC's.

Since I cannot afford a 98 style GS I figure I'd go the safe route

I have a rough history with cars...
Right now I am driving my 98 Ford F150 that I bought new in 97 and it's still running tough.

But I always want a car because it's more practical for me for a daily driver, my last 2 cars were Mitsubishi Eclipses. My first Eclipse was a 95 GS, it was a great car for me but one day I got in a little accident, and my insurance company totaled it. I knew they just didn't want to fix the little bit of damage so I bought the car back and restored it. So I was happy with my Truck and Eclipse. Then one day I figured I'd try a Turbo AWD Eclipse and went out and bought a 95 GSX.

Big mistake....
I should have done alittle research before jumping into a turbo DSM...
Before I knew it, Crankwalk, boost problems, engine blowing up, 2 swaps later I gave up and parted out a $10k dsm for about 3k, and I still owe $2000 on it...

Here's a pic of my truck towing my baby to a friends shop to be stripped and sold

Anyways to make a long story short, both eclipses are gone now and i'm stuck driving my uncomfortable gas hog of a truck every day. I need a fun / reliable car.

SC's seem to fit the bill Am I wrong?

What I'd like to know is what are some problems that come with SC's? How much do they cost to maintain and stuff.
Old 10-17-05, 12:06 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default It's about time you showed up!

You're in luck! We've been talking about that sorta stuff for years now, in thousands of threads that have been patiently waiting in this forum for YOU! Thank goodness you've finally registered!

Now, click on that "search" button to make all of our efforts worthwhile!
Old 10-17-05, 12:12 AM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PERRYinLA
You're in luck! We've been talking about that sorta stuff for years now, in thousands of threads that have been patiently waiting in this forum for YOU! Thank goodness you've finally registered!

Now, click on that "search" button to make all of our efforts worthwhile!

Wow I wasn't expecting a smartass response soo quick

All the though involved in trying to be cool you could have said (bad engine, crankwalk, bad suspension) or something alittle more On-topic and helpful. And for your information I have searched, how do you think I found this forum, also I do not want to dig through 11dy billion pages of unhelpful information on this site to find that the only problem sc's have is that the dashboard cracks or some small problem..

have a good one
Old 10-17-05, 12:14 AM
KingpiN.SC
Pole Position

If you are interested in an SC.. a friend of myne is selling a 5 speed, green sc with tan leather interior, supra seats, and a carbon hood. it is all in all pretty clean and he is selling it for only $4,000...
Old 10-17-05, 12:17 AM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KingpiN.SC
If you are interested in an SC.. a friend of myne is selling a 5 speed, green sc with tan leather interior, supra seats, and a carbon hood. it is all in all pretty clean and he is selling it for only $4,000...

INterresting.......

Miles? year? pictures? Sunroof? eh nevermind I'll send a pm
Old 10-17-05, 12:22 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, some people on these forums arent so friendly to newbies who ask frequently asked questions. People didnt really respond to my post much before I bought mine.

Gas on the SC isnt that great either. It runs 16 mpg on premium. First of all, what is your budget. Second of all, what are your goals? Comfy Daily Driver?

First off, rhe SC has alot of potential but the limits of its potential is limited by your wallet and commitment. There are many fine SCs on these forums.
Old 10-17-05, 12:22 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by llllllllll
you could have said (bad engine, crankwalk, bad suspension) or something alittle more On-topic and helpful.
Actually, all that stuff already has already been said (or, more accurately, typed). And it's all sitting here in the forum, just a search away. But you'd rather sit back and wait for someone to type it all out again for you. Your choice.
Old 10-17-05, 12:24 AM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

What is your budget and what do you expect out of the car?
Old 10-17-05, 12:55 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

your f150 is a gas hog, so is the SC. Most of our SC300's are getting 15-17mpg. Car is slow compared to most cars out there, you want to make it as fast as a new sports car? (g35 290hp) ok yea throw in 10k for a TT swap or 5k for a pretty simple turbo kit. Practicle car? hell no. Sexy car after you put in about 8k worth of aesthetic mods? Hell yes. If you are looking for something to sex up into a future cruiser go for it. If you are looking for practicallity, look elsewhere.
Old 10-17-05, 01:03 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Xotic sC
your f150 is a gas hog, so is the SC. Most of our SC300's are getting 15-17mpg. Car is slow compared to most cars out there, you want to make it as fast as a new sports car? (g35 290hp) ok yea throw in 10k for a TT swap or 5k for a pretty simple turbo kit. Practicle car? hell no. Sexy car after you put in about 8k worth of aesthetic mods? Hell yes. If you are looking for something to sex up into a future cruiser go for it. If you are looking for practicallity, look elsewhere.
Ok.

Heres a really rough break down.

1. A clean chassis: 5000+
2. A 1JZ-GTE swap to bump the power up to 280hp: 3-4k?
3. Suspension Mods: 2k
4. Nice High Quality Rims/Tires 2.5-3.5k

List goes on. But it is still cheaper than buying any full size RWD Japanese coupe out there currently.
Old 10-17-05, 01:08 AM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

heh yeah my f150 sucks as a daily driver.

I'm looking for something that is quick and comfortable to contrast my F150.

Are you serious 15-17mpg for a sc300?? That's sad because I really want a 400.. I hate to hear the fuel economy on that one

But yeah, I drive an hour to and from work every day and my boss isn't happy paying my travel expenses anymore especially with the increas in gas prices.

As for looks, how much would it cost to have something that looks sexy like this one??

Oh and I work for a car audio/performance shop so I get a discount but not much of one...
Old 10-17-05, 01:17 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you need to mentioned what you want out of the car. Do you need the manual or can you live with an automatic? Are you looking to turn the SC into a really fast car with boost? Or are you looking for something you can make look good and have decent power? Depending on what you are trying to accomplish the SC300 or SC400 might be better for your needs.
Old 10-17-05, 01:27 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by llllllllll
heh yeah my f150 sucks as a daily driver.

I'm looking for something that is quick and comfortable to contrast my F150.

Are you serious 15-17mpg for a sc300?? That's sad because I really want a 400.. I hate to hear the fuel economy on that one

But yeah, I drive an hour to and from work every day and my boss isn't happy paying my travel expenses anymore especially with the increas in gas prices.

As for looks, how much would it cost to have something that looks sexy like this one??

Oh and I work for a car audio/performance shop so I get a discount but not much of one...
THe SC400 actually gets better gas mileage than the SC300. I routinely get about 21.5 MPG on my SC400. I think typical would be anywhere between 19-22 MPG on average. The only problem is the SC400 comes in automatic only, so if you have to have a manual you have to go with the SC300.

To make your car look something like that cosmetically is not that expensive depending on what you consider expensive. I believe that SC has the JIC body kit which can be bought for about $1400. The 20" rims like that one is going to cost you a lot of money, but you can choose a different size and brand rims if you like. Suspension like the TEIN adjustable coil overs can cost anywhere from around $800 for the Basic, to about $2200 for the other various TEIN coil overs and other brands like JIC. HKS, and such. Cosmetically the SC is not hard to make it "Look" good since there are a lot of body kit choices out there and also a lot of cheap copies of body kits as well so if you can do a little of the body and prep work yourself it could be worth the $400 ebay prices.
Old 10-17-05, 01:59 AM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Yea automatic or manual doesn't really make much difference to me. I really just need a car to drive to and from work. Part of me would kinda like a manual though but I think I better stay away because I know if I get that I'd probably be trying to drift or race and end up getting in trouble... I'm just looking for something that looks good with good power, I think I definately want to go with the 400 over the 300 though.

I've tested a 400 before and it was pretty quick.... And if what you say about the fuel economy is true I definately going to go for a 400... And no I don't think I'll be upgrading to turbo anytime soon. Maybe after I get married and get alot more money but right now, I've already been there and gone through that phase.

I really just want something that is comfortable and sexy looking
(not that I'm trying to pick up girls, I already have my gf / fiances)
Old 10-17-05, 02:44 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

How's it going mate, the SC400 fits the bill perfectly if you're not looking to do the turbo conversion at all but if you're looking to do it some time in the future I'd probably look for an SC300... only makes sense.

Welcome to CL.

Quick Reply: Hi I'm new, thinking about getting an SC...