SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)
View Poll Results: Can you buy a $50,000+ car easily? ($1000.00+ monthly payment)
Easily Afford, but I love my SC300/400 too much
13.82%
Easily Afford, Other reasons why I don't buy a new car
9.76%
Can afford but would be tight on cash afterwards
17.56%
Can't afford yet, but will be able to soon
10.24%
No, can not afford
48.62%
Voters: 615. You may not vote on this poll

How many SC300/400 owners can buy a $50,000.00 car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-05, 08:01 PM
kietlander
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by nnnickkk
Im 16, noooo way. I really want a scion xB though.
i wanted one months b4 it went on sale in the US. but as soon as it hit the market...EVERYONE and their momma bought one. i have yet to see a nice JDM looking one. everyone that seems to buy it....RICes the hell out of it. what a shame...
Old 10-17-05, 08:01 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SupraCoup3
being a 21 year old college student, that'd be a big no.
I'm in the same boat. My money goes towards the running of the car so no mod money, but that doesn't matter at least I can get a real decent set of wheels after college
Old 10-17-05, 09:34 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I constantly am looking at other cars from a new GS430 to IS350 to BMW 545i to Merecedes E500.... but everytime I think about getting another car I think of how much I hate being in debt with my credit cards and I change my mind. Then I go and spend a few thousand on my car with mods and I'm happy again for 3 months or so....
Old 10-17-05, 10:30 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A lot of my money is in real estate and investments now...I like it that way. I also love my Lexus so much, and it is so clean, that I see absolutely no need to replace it. I am adding my NSX next year though...

Ryan

Edit...That would be Porsche 911 Cabriolet, triple black...

Last edited by SC400TT; 05-08-06 at 02:52 PM.
Old 10-17-05, 10:44 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by IronCobra
I constantly am looking at other cars from a new GS430 to IS350 to BMW 545i to Merecedes E500.... but everytime I think about getting another car I think of how much I hate being in debt with my credit cards and I change my mind. Then I go and spend a few thousand on my car with mods and I'm happy again for 3 months or so....
that is SOOOOOOOO ME!
Old 10-18-05, 02:24 AM
Bane
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by soarer213
I could afford it, BUT i'd be on a pretty tight budget. No go, plus I love my SC. One day soon I will add a 6spd TT Supra to keep it company
Hehe... I'm selling my SC because it doesn't make that good of a companion to the Supra sadly. They are too similiar. It is nice to see a pearl white SC400 and a royal sapphire pearl Supra TT (6-spd) sitting in the garage when I leave in the morning in my daily driver that's parked outside... haha.

I *usually* only pay cash for my cars (don't believe in making payments with interest on something that's depreciating) so in that respect... no I can't afford a 50k car right now.

I think a Lotus Elise would make an excellent companion to the Supra though... so I have my eye on that after I pick up another Lexus for a daily car or if I get married.

One of the keys to having nice cars is to stay single and to not have kids. I'm only 23 so I'll have time for that later
Old 10-18-05, 04:59 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I could but I won't...not yet. Got things going on right now.
Are you asking because so many guys got their car so cheap...thinking they can't afford a newer Lexus? Mine cost me 24k. Not exactly new Lexus territory but more than most paid for their SC. Point is I could have spent more for a newer car but this car just slew me when I saw it.
Old 10-18-05, 05:13 AM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

One thing about this club that I enjoy is that some of our more "mature" members who may be in positions to buy something else choose their SC out of love for the car....

In this post there is some good subtle advice for some of you young guys.
Its not always about how much you make but rather how much you can save
Old 10-18-05, 06:17 AM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

Anyone can buy a $50 grand car with the right down payments and financing. I choose to not finance anything other than investments. But am I in the position to buy a $50 grand car??? Nah not cash, but on the other hand I don't see a need to spend that much on a car to begin with.
-Justin
Old 10-18-05, 06:42 AM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by silversprucesc3
One thing about this club that I enjoy is that some of our more "mature" members who may be in positions to buy something else choose their SC out of love for the car....

In this post there is some good subtle advice for some of you young guys.
Its not always about how much you make but rather how much you can save
Exactly why I created this post! Many people have the mentality of "if you are successful or want to look successful you must have a expensive NEW car in the garage."

I'm so proud of you guys! Group Hug!

Last edited by IronCobra; 10-18-05 at 06:47 AM.
Old 10-18-05, 06:52 AM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jpvarghese
Anyone can buy a $50 grand car with the right down payments and financing. I choose to not finance anything other than investments. But am I in the position to buy a $50 grand car??? Nah not cash, but on the other hand I don't see a need to spend that much on a car to begin with.
-Justin
I wouldn't say "anyone". The average person would have to probably earn around $75-100k+ a year (assuming he/she owns a house).

Lets say you put 10% down, you would still be financing $45,000.00 (plus tax) for 4 years (more than likely), your payments would still be clear over $1000 per month.
Old 10-18-05, 08:06 AM
Jonathan o
Lead Lap

I can but what would I do with so many cars. I have a 00 lx470, 99sc4,s13 240sx and a honda accord ex (wifys car) . I would have to let one go, and the only one I would even concider letting go is the honda, But what is the wife going to drive? Oh well I'll just put the money tours the new house we are getting built.
Old 10-18-05, 05:03 PM
neoprelude
Driver

Originally Posted by Bane
Hehe... I'm selling my SC because it doesn't make that good of a companion to the Supra sadly. They are too similiar. It is nice to see a pearl white SC400 and a royal sapphire pearl Supra TT (6-spd) sitting in the garage when I leave in the morning in my daily driver that's parked outside... haha.
Well they both ARE the same car really, share same chassis/platform. Just the exterior and interior is a bit different but even then the exteriors arn't much different... The supra is more curved and has a lower roofline hatchback with a smaller rear back window, Soarer has a longer front end with a higher roofline and dosen't as curve as much in the back, and a bigger rear side window with a small trunk.
Old 10-18-05, 08:06 PM
ar_gaviria
Driver School Candidate

Talking no way

Even if I had that much I wouldn't waste it on a new vehicle when I can pimp my SC with all the trimmings, and still have change left to go to tahiti. lol
Old 10-18-05, 08:18 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ar_gaviria
Even if I had that much I wouldn't waste it on a new vehicle when I can pimp my SC with all the trimmings, and still have change left to go to tahiti. lol
Welcome to CL... I feel special that you used your first post on Clublexus to comment on my thread!

Quick Reply: How many SC300/400 owners can buy a $50,000.00 car?