SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC400 VS NSX Your thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-01, 10:24 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Thumbs up

Fury, I'll ckeck you out on the NSX site...

After talking about the NSX these last few days I have been bitten, cy the NSX bug. After we get my wife her car... But I will keep my SC4 it has been great, beautiful over the years and still it's running as strong as it did when I first got it...
Old 07-24-01, 12:40 PM
FurySC400
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ikon,

Cool, I'll look for you on the boards, too. Do you go by the same username?

Old 07-24-01, 12:48 PM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

I don't think necessarily that the SC300 is more FUN to drive, but it does do what it is designed to do a lot better than the NSX does... My only beef with the NSX is that it has so LITTLE power, it is hard to even make use of the awesome suspension it has. To get to 360 RWHP in an NSX is WELL over $15k, and then you have to build the motor and do custom stuff to make any more..

I don't know, I just didn't like mine when I had it.. I am not saying the SC is more of a sports car, because it isn't, but between the two, at this point I feel like my SC is more of a joy to drive (not necessarily more fun, but it is better at what it is designed to be good at).

How often do you really have a chance to push an NSX to its limits on the streets? Hardly ever, and the closest road course to me is 5 hours away, so I could never use an NSX like it is meant to be used. Power is much more practical than handling on 99% of roads, because you can't just go hauling *** around corners all over town. Having a car that handles good is more fun I would say, just not nearly as useful in most situations you would encounter while you drive the car.

Man, I rambled a lot

-Ethan
Old 07-24-01, 09:47 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NSX Wheel Issue

I liek the NSX but I can not overlook the problem with the wheels. Paying $1600 ever 6000 miles does not seem worth it.:eek:
Old 07-24-01, 10:40 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Post Registered!!!! @ www.NSXprime.com

Fury... Yes I am "The Ikon" there too... very nice site for a "speciality vehicle" such as the NSX...

See you there too....

Thomas

P.S. Hermosa are you referring to tires? If so, that figure has to do a lot with the driver not the car.... I'm sure a lot of SC, GS, IS owners are spending a lot of $$$ on tires too. On the C5 Vette we just sold the tires were roughly $400 each, but could last 16,000 miles if driven sensibly... Some people shredded those tires in a few months.
Old 07-24-01, 11:35 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Smile NSX Tires

"P.S. Hermosa are you referring to tires? If so, that figure has to do a lot with the driver not the car.... I'm sure a lot of SC, GS, IS owners are spending a lot of $$$ on tires too. On the C5 Vette we just sold the tires were roughly $400 each, but could last 16,000 miles if driven sensibly... Some people shredded those tires in a few months."

No. This has to do with a DESIGN FLAW in the NSX. The tires wear out prematurely. This has to do with the car and not the driver. If you decide to tear them up because of excessive use then they will need to be replaced even sooner. This is by far the biggest complaint and flaw of the NSX. The newest model did not solve this issue. That is why many people who were thinking of buying the car including myself have looked elsewhere.
Old 07-25-01, 12:07 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Unhappy That Bites!!!! If that's true...

Is it the rear or all??? Is it in the camber??? Is it in the stock rims only???

http://www.nsxprime.com/Gallery/owne...hiagarajah.htm
Old 07-25-01, 07:12 AM
NSXLR8R

Default SC400 to NSX

Hi guys. First I'd like to say that this is one the most intelligent and fair threads about the NSX on a forum other than an NSX board. Yes there are some posts that take the "it's a Honda" route, but that is to be expected.

Anyway, I went from a '92 SC400 to my '94 NSX and the cars are two different machines. The SC400 was a great sport tourer. I had not one problem in the 9 years that I owned it. In fact it was the only car that I owned for more than three years. I am a true sports car fanatic, and the only thing that I didn't like about the SC was he numb steering feel. But then again, its a luxury coupe, not an exotic. Overall I was very pleased with my SC and glad that I owned it.

I bought my '94 NSX with 6,100 miles on the odo last year and put 22k on it since then. Yes I have gone through three sets of rear tires, but I do drive it very agressively and that includes two track events. (How many of you have tracked you SC? <--Not a flame) The car is very nimble and goes where you direct it. It has some mods that the previous owner installed (chip, exhaust, ss brake lines, 17/18 wheels, comptech non compliant rear susp, lowering springs) and the drivability has not suffered. Some people have mentioned that the NSX is low on horsepower, but with a lightweight machine high HP is not really needed. Would I like more? Hell yeah, but that's why I also have 600hp Mustang Cobra.

If anyone is loking for a true exotic that is reliable, fast, easy for DIY maintanence, and not very expensive to own, the NSX is the right car for you. Honda is great company and their technology (VTEC) is now being taken into consideration and implemented by many other manufacturers and I have no problem with that. Good technology should be shared if everyone can befefit from it.

Cheers.
Old 07-25-01, 06:56 PM
PUREVIL

I love my NSX and I won't trade/sell it for anything. The only way my X is leaving me is if its totalled or I DIE! But my NSX is just one of my cars. I don't think I'd use it as a daily driver, its a fine daily driver but I like lots of room. The NSX is comfortable, but it lacks interior space. So if its a second car then I say go for the NSX. If its your only car then I say go for the SC400.
Old 07-25-01, 07:12 PM
SCV8
Instructor

That car as with any hard driven mid-engined car will wear out soft rear tires fast,however it is extremely fun!
That aluminum body would make me nervous if driven on a daily basis I think.
Old 07-29-01, 08:40 AM
Wizard

Wink Tire Wear

Someone really needs to clear up this farse about a never corrected NSX "Design Flaw", So I guess it will be me. Yes NSX's eat tires. Why do they eat up tires? It has to do with the alignment settings that are dialed into the car INTENTIONALLY. The following is cut & pasted directly from The NSXPrime administrators post regarding tire wear issues. I hope this provides some insight for you.

"With factory alignment and tires on an NSX, it is indeed reasonable to expect to replace rear tires roughly every 6000 miles, though I actually got more like 7000 on the street when I used factory tires. Fronts will typically last twice as long as rears. However, the cost right around $400 for a pair of OEM tires.

Some owners like the car as delivered from the factory and to be honest 10 cents a mile in tires ($1200 in tires every 12,000 miles) is fairly reasonable for a really high-performance sports car. For example the C5 has tires which last longer but cost more, again coming to somewhere around 10 cents a mile. Ferrari 355 tires cost twice as much and last even less time those on the NSX.

Those who do want to improve tire life have two options: reduce the aggressive factory alignment settings and/or switch to aftermarket tires. There are always tradeoffs involved when changing alignment or tires.

Origionally posted by Lud, NSXPrime administrator.

Lets not be silly, the fact of the matter is that most NSX's are not daily drivers, and therefore will take some time to accumulate miles, thus the expense of tire replacement is spaced WAY out. As an example my Dad's 94 NSX has less than 5k on her since purchase in Dec. 99'. The alignment settings make X's a handful in the rain too, so I have to agree that they make an excellent (Best IMO) second car, but it is pretty unrealistic to drive an exotic every day. Any Exotic.
Many people seem to percieve the NSX as a car similar in catagory to a Supra, or 300ZX, but in reality this could not be furthur from the truth. An NSX may be a Honda, it benefits from the heritage of a reliable, well engineered powertrain, but what seperates the X from Supra's, and 300ZX's is the same thing that seperates Ferrari's from Fiats. Sure Supra's can be built to kick serious A$$ on a road course, but they are more tame, and daily user friendly from the factory, wheras the X is more of a specialty car, it is more exotic, and exclusive. I am not knocking any other car mentioned above, I am simply using them as a means of comparison.(no flames please)
To give you an opinion on weather or not you should buy an NSX, I would say absolutely. I aspire to own one of my own one day, but when I finally buy one, it will be a second car, rather than a primary source of daily transport, for that I want an IS300!

Many threads involving the NSX on non-NSX related boards tend to be biased against, but from what I have read here, most of you folks are well informed, and fair in assessment. I love Lexus, I aspire to own one soon, and it is nice to see that I will be in good company.

Phil
Old 07-29-01, 10:30 AM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by The Ikon
DirectQL...

I have to disagree with 99% of what you said about the NSX. Obviously you have NOT driven an NSX of any year and have no true KNOWLEDGE of the NSX.:eek: If you had, I assure you the opinion you have of the NSX will change.

The car is fast thru out the power band, but really fast when gunned. Also 270 hp in a light weight highly engineered car is more than adequate to punish the competition.

Don't forget the Lotus Esprit of yore had only a 4 cyl and ran the 1/4 in 13.4... Porsche 911 has less than 300 hp... HP means nothing without the means to put it on the ground. The NSX is faster and/or just as fast as cars with substantially more hp on paper.

Super cars not only go fast in 1 direction, but HANDLES great in slalom, on those twistys, etc.. Check your FACTS the NSX handles and out handled the Ferrari 355, Lotus, Corvette, Viper in a head to head shoot out a few years ago... Plus in a top speed shoot out in Motor Trend the NSX was STABLE at top speed out around 165 plus mph and was critized for being to smooth for a "Super Car".... Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Plus the way the car is made... The ALL Aluminum frame, aluminum panels, the mid-engine layout, The design, the transmission, the Brakes/system, exhaust, the driver to car feel is WHAT a SUPER CAR is not just the 0 - 60...

It's the way a car PERFORMS in ALL categories!!! That's why the car is worth the reliable $88,000 and not the $150,000 service every few thousand miles other auto makers are charging for less technology that should be LESS for what you actually get.<Plus the NSX had this tech in 1990!!!:eek:>

As for a high dollar Honda... Don't forget we drive Toyotas... that range in price up to $70,000 that are not hand made with space aged aluminum frame work or the perf. to match... Japanese cars are the BEST on the road now and will be on the road for many reliable years to come... Can you say the same about Italian, German, British and dare I say American cars???

DRIVE one or at least research the automobile's history, make-up, performance, comparisons etc.. before blasting it.....

Make my NSX pearl in color with the sport roof...
Sorry, LOL. I was too hard on the NSX. It's prolly because of all the !@#$ coming from a local NSX owner. I didn't drive NSX and didn't ride in a stock NSX. Actually, I experienced the NSX turbo from the passager seat with a race driver driving at 160 mph on the highway between the cars. Nuff said.

PS. My friend was the other to get a ride in it, he couldn't take it and barfed.
Old 07-30-01, 05:26 PM
amati5
Driver

Originally posted by bangbang001
I'm thinking about purchasing a nsx? Any comments positive or negative about the car, but I can't have both cars? My wife would have a fit. I know all of us are Lexus owners, but what do you think about this situation?
Thanks

95 SC-400 pearl white/tan
BangBang,

Since you consider the nsx, i assume you like sport cars and if you want a sport car, get the nsx. Believe me, the SC is far from being a sport car. I have had sc400, Miata and a 911, the sc is the most boring car of all. It's heavy, too much body roll, and sluggish (probably due to the auto trans). I commute 5 miles in stop and go traffic to work every day, so i drive the sc, but can't wait for the weekends. My Miata is 10 times more fun to drive and just as much fun as the 911. That tells you 0-60 numbers mean nothing.

Last edited by amati5; 07-30-01 at 05:56 PM.
Old 08-15-01, 07:39 PM
machinegt
Pole Position

Thumbs up NSX hp/weight ratio

the NSX is pretty much a faster car if you measure
its hp to weight ratio.

NSX: 290 hp / 3200 lbs = 0.090

SC400: 290 hp / 3655 lbs = 0.079

the NSX is more of a true sports car, where as the
SC is a luxury touring coupe.

i would get the NSX if you have the money and
want performance, but i personally like the SC's
beautiful body design. and i hear alot of women
do too... heheh!
Old 08-16-01, 04:32 AM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fury, dude man, seeing stock SC is kinda rare (not in the county below me though......there r a few), but mine has chrome rims and it is extremly rare to see an SC that is not stock Plus, most people driving SC's around here r like 60 yrs. old and i just turned 17.
PS....i like ur last sent. man: Hmmm, maybe they're just so popular/common here 'cuz people know a good thing when they see it. HELL YEAH.
Originally posted by FurySC400
MyLexusSC300,

Sorry, maybe it's just a Southern California thing here. I guess SCs are pretty common, and I've noticed that most people just don't bother to second glance. Are they pretty common out in Nashville? Hmmm, maybe they're just so popular/common here 'cuz people know a good thing when they see it.